• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VT-35, getting on the big board?

duece123

I am a ANG -130 dude about to PCS from Vance to NASCC for prop training with a few ?'s. I am trying to do what it takes to get into VT-35 (old man was in VT-35, heard nothing but good thing about the squadron) My ? is what do I need to get put on the big board in a -35 slot? Do I need a copy of my water survival certificate? If so that could be a prob, I PCS and sit for 2 weeks before I go to Water survival school. I know it is works on 1st come 1st serve, so if I could get a class slot without the water survival certificate, my ducks would be in a row. Any Ideas?? Any points of contact that could point me in the right drection?
Thanks

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
No guarantees but you may have a couple options. Slots are normally randomly assigned. You'll see on the board (I think it's a computer screen now actually) that each squadron has to fill so many slots in each class for each service. 35 is the smaller squadron so your being randomly assigned to the squadron are probably less than 50%.

That said, you may be able to talk to the guy in the office who does the assigning of slots and see if you can get in that way. Explain your situation and it may work. If for some reason that's a no go, try and find someone willing to trade you. With VT-31 getting the new glass cockpit C model T-44s you may have a few takers. There may also be the possibility that if you volunteer yourself for either an earlier or later class than the one to which you were going to be assigned you might be able to choose. I had a buddy that chose VT-31 that way.

Finally, if nothing else works, console yourself with the fact that you'll get to fly the C model. The rest of us who went before you had to deal with no heading NDBs, and you won't.

duece123

great man thanks for the reply. You don't have a number to the "man" that works the board/computer screen?

also, do the -44's have the upgrades already or is that in the future?

LivinMyDream

pilot
So, I class up for -35 this Friday: You check in with "the man" (whose name is Richard), and he asks what squadron you want to be in. I said -35, he said "done." The people who showed up later were not able to chose their squadron b/c all of -35 was taken. The water survival certificate will not matter for your squadron selection (you will present this upon official check in, which is later). Timing will be the most important factor, and Richard won't place you in a squadron until you show up in front of him in person. I tried to call ahead and get in, but he said it was "first come, first serve." So, no dice. Richard's phone number, though, is 361-961-2945. Good luck.

IrishNavy05

pilot
Contributor
VT-31 has some T-44C's, but not many. I think they have around 10, with about the same number of instructors. Also, there are no sims yet, so all your CPT's, BI's, RI's etc will be flown in the plane.

As for checking in, the above gouge is correct - If there are spots in both squadrons, you will have a choice. Your water-survival school thing might work in your favor - since I assume you can't class up until you are water-survival complete, there is no way that a particular squadron's class 4-5 weeks in the future will be full. I think you'll be fine. That being said, I wouldn't try to game the system - it's a small community...

MasterBates

I am sitting in T-44A systems right now. Charlies are hit & miss, maybe 1/3 of the 31 studs, if that much.

Richard is a helpful guy. Show up and he will bend over backwards to help you, as long as you do what he asks.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
So, I class up for -35 this Friday: You check in with "the man" (whose name is Richard), and he asks what squadron you want to be in. I said -35, he said "done." .

That's his name! Good dude, just couldn't remember his name. It's been a while.

billiken2002

pilot
I just selected P-3's this Thursday and was lucky enough to get into Stucon to get into VT-35. Correct me if I am wrong, but I had always heard that, as far as Marines, C-130 guys go to VT-31 and only the Osprey guys go to VT-35. That has been the trend that I have seen so far, but I guess things could always change.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
I just selected P-3's this Thursday and was lucky enough to get into Stucon to get into VT-35. Correct me if I am wrong, but I had always heard that, as far as Marines, C-130 guys go to VT-31 and only the Osprey guys go to VT-35. That has been the trend that I have seen so far, but I guess things could always change.

Yep, and only P-3 guys go to VT-35 on the Navy side.

Orion

pilot
I don't know... I just finished at -31 a few months ago and I'm kinda glad I didn't fly with all that glass stuff. Believe me... get over cockpit confusion while you're out in Corpus. Once you get to VP-30 you'll know what I mean. I haven't been in 2 planes yet that are configured the same. If you're all used to the pretty stuff, the P-3 will be a big shock!

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
I don't know... I just finished at -31 a few months ago and I'm kinda glad I didn't fly with all that glass stuff. Believe me... get over cockpit confusion while you're out in Corpus. Once you get to VP-30 you'll know what I mean. I haven't been in 2 planes yet that are configured the same. If you're all used to the pretty stuff, the P-3 will be a big shock!

So they just put gauges wherever they fit, or are there a couple different configurations or what? I'm just curious about how hard it is to come up a different scan for ever frickin plane. Sounds fun either way, sign me up...:eek:

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Your instrument scan gauges are all the same from plane to plane. Its the radios, navaids, and comm panels that are all different types and locations. Really only a pain on preflight when you're trying to figure out what type of Tacan/VOR you have and how it tests, etc.