• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VT-31 or VT-35?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
^ Are you going to start a new private forum "schoolbubba Tasks" so he never has any excuse?

(I think it should be open to all hinges....active and retired.....to ensure he gets all the guidance he needs to excel.....)

Quénault

pilot
As a Herc STUD, will I even have the chance to choose 35? Or are they just sending us all over to 31?

Vidofnir

Fly Delta Jets
pilot
The only Marines in 35 are Osprey kiddos. The Herc guys are all Air Force, and they're leaving once the Skipper departs.

LPO Beck

GONNA MAKE CHIEF
Checking into TW-4 on the 19th. Any current or recent grads care to chat with the new guy? PM please.

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
Winged from 31 this past summer. If you have questions, its preffered to ask openly so others can learn also. If not pm me

LPO Beck

GONNA MAKE CHIEF
Now that I'm checked in I'm kind of just going with the flow. I've talked to a few studs from each squadron. Most say to go VT-35, but don't really have any concrete reasons for doing so. They usually just say that it's more laid back and the IP/Stud relationship is almost on a first name basis at times. Both mentioned that 31 is also a great squadron, but definitely preferred 35. A gentleman in StuCon told me to choose 31 for glass because I'm hoping to select P-8. He said it doesn't affect selection in any way. I also heard from a recent winger (out of 31) that selection for P-8's is competitive. Usually only one from each selection group will get them.

The 31 guys I talked to didn't have much for me either. They said ground school and sims come hot and heavy so start pre-reading the Systems, limits, EP's, etc right away. They also said that 31 "babies you." You have to physically check in with the FDO (or equivalent) every Friday and tell him what your weekend plans are.

Two 31 studs told me to choose 35, because at the time I had the option to go to either squadron. So whatever that is worth? I initially chose 31 to fly the glass in the Charlies. I figured since I just came from glass in the T-6, and would like to end up in glass with the P-8, I should keep the trend. But StuCon called this morning and said they were switching me.

To me it seems six in one, half dozen in the other. Like many have said, type rating and laid back in 35. Glass in 31.

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
Roll with whatever happens. Many say if youve only done glass to this point, try to stay with it. Most experienced people (here to i bet, just waiting for it) will say it doesnt matter. Glass is easier. But if its the only thing you know, it may be a diifcult transition when you are still really justlearning to fly, a lot of people may forgetthat. As for 35 being more laid back... couldnt really imagine that. I had a great time there. And for the babying, im pretty thats a wing thing that all do. It does come pretty quickly. A lot of sims and a lot of flights. Expect to have an event everday. Double pumps are extremely common, couple a week . Almost all insturment sims are double pump. I'm pretty sure its like that for the 35 guys to. And 31 does have a bunch of steam guage planes still.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Well, it's better than -31...unless you like -31...then it's worse.

Congrats on selection Tycho...and good luck in Advanced.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
A gentleman in StuCon told me to choose 31 for glass because I'm hoping to select P-8. He said it doesn't affect selection in any way. I also heard from a recent winger (out of 31) that selection for P-8's is competitive. Usually only one from each selection group will get them.

Just push to stay in Jax. Even if you get selected for P-3s, if you stay in Jax you'll be P-8 by the end of your first sea tour. That said P-3s in Jax is going to be hard to get being that there aren't many left.

Biles

Whoops, I totally missed this thread when searching for C-130s. As a Herc guy, will I be flying the T-44C out of 31 for sure?