• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VT-31 or VT-35?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Yea. I just did. Unless you're going to use it hauling colombian bam bam into the country while you're sitting around the FRS, it's just the cherry on top of having wings.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I know I've read on here multiple times that the type rating isn't worth very much in reality. Any of the winged dudes care to weigh in?

I did already but I'll clarify....

10 hours PIC in model and proof of a check ride is all you need to get a type rating (from military equivalant aircraft) on your FAA certification. Would you hire someone based on that alone?

There is an assumption that you would gain the requisite experience to get to the checkride, but rarely (if ever) will someone not ask to see your logbook and prove your experience to them.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

10 hours PIC in model and proof of a check ride is all you need to get a type rating (from military equivalant aircraft) on your FAA certification. Would you hire someone based on that alone?

There is an assumption that you would gain the requisite experience to get to the checkride, but rarely (if ever) will someone not ask to see your logbook and prove your experience to them.

Roger that. I hear the type rating thing from studs a lot, but the above makes sense. Just another example of "Don't believe the SNA hype"

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor

10 hours PIC in model and proof of a check ride is all you need to get a type rating (from military equivalent aircraft) on your FAA certification. Would you hire someone based on that alone?

You'd be surprised. I got hired to fly Captain in a Citation with 6 hours in type (4.5 dual received & 1.5 type ride). Never showed the guy that hired me my logbook (1 plane corporate operation - was the aircraft owner) and the insurance was not a problem do to my total flight experience. Insurance never looked at my logbook either, just e-mailed me a flight time matrix to fill out.

Many times it is not what you have a type rating in, it is just the fact you have a type rating. Just another check in the box to make your application/resume a little bit better than the other guys. Plus many employers see a type rating as showing you have basic skills and are trainable. I doubt they would even think about it being a "military competency" type or think any less of it if they did know this.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
... All of the Marine IP's at -35 are Osprey guys or -46 guys getting some FW time to transition to the Osprey....

Bogus. Dont know where you heard that one, but the Marine IPs there now include 3 -46 drivers and an old harrier driver. One tried to put in for the transition but was too senior. The others never wanted it and are working on going other places after their IP tour.

81montedriver

pilot
Bogus. Dont know where you heard that one, but the Marine IPs there now include 3 -46 drivers and an old harrier driver. One tried to put in for the transition but was too senior. The others never wanted it and are working on going other places after their IP tour.

My bad.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Friends don't let friends fly T-tails. I was in 31 and loved it. I had a really good class though and some of my best friends were the Guardsmen and AF guys. Personally, I think the 44 is a much better looking plane, too. All important stuff to consider here. Also, there's an awesome Mexican joint in the hangar that used to have amazing lunch specials.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
False. The 44 is a bit on the stubby side. The 12 was elegant, in a dump truck kind of way.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Something changed...

I know plenty of P-3 types that are flying Cs

When I went through last year I remember they were converting the Alpha to Charlies at the rate of about 1 plane every two months with all of them eventually being converted. So as the Alphas become extinct, eventually everyone will be in Charlies. For the P-3 guys, flying a Charlie will be a plus, it will get you ready for the AIP birds.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
Is there anything to really get ready for? Oh...it's a digital display of the exact same stuff I'm used to seeing. WoooOOOooooOOO

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Is there anything to really get ready for? Oh...it's a digital display of the exact same stuff I'm used to seeing. WoooOOOooooOOO

When I had my first EFDS event after doing primary, advanced, and previous RAG events with steam gauges, it was a whole new world and took some getting used to. I guess I'm not as awesome as you.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Friends don't let friends fly T-tails. I was in 31 and loved it. I had a really good class though and some of my best friends were the Guardsmen and AF guys. Personally, I think the 44 is a much better looking plane, too. All important stuff to consider here. Also, there's an awesome Mexican joint in the hangar that used to have amazing lunch specials.
It might be better looking but at least the 12's fly more. As of August, the maintenance was so bad it was a normal day to have only one up Alpha and one up Charlie. I'm sure it's gotten better as EVERYONE up top of the food chain has the T-44 in their crosshairs for problems to fix (or so we were told at checkout). The guys doing the full syllabus were taking twice as long as the guys in 35. I would have loved if we could have gone through 35. Plus the Prop Stop wasn't open a day in my 4 months back in Corpus.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
When I had my first EFDS event after doing primary, advanced, and previous RAG events with steam gauges, it was a whole new world and took some getting used to. I guess I'm not as awesome as you.

You said it. I flew T-6s. Glad we finally settled what primary aircraft turns out the better product.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

You said it. I flew T-6s. Glad we finally settled what primary aircraft turns out the better product.
Seeing as how you both went through FRS while I was there, and scoolbubba is stuck with me now... I can of course settle which one of you is more "awesome" or the better "product"... :D Liquor can of course sway my decision.