• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VT-2 Golden Doer?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
$ 2.75??? I'll have you know at the EM club during happy hour at Cecil the beer was ten cents a can. That, plus we had Go-Go dancers!:D
Good beer?
churchkey_can_company1.jpg

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor

Now hold the phone! They're using the old punch-top (flat-top) style can again? That hasn't been done since the 1950's/1960's...WOW...that's pretty cool. I was an avid beer can collector in the 1970's while growing up in northern Wisconsin. I still have a few of my punch-top (flat-top) and cone-top cans...including a 1936 Budweiser punch-top (flat-top) can which supposedly was the first year beer was put in cans. I'm going to post a pic of that can later whether anybody wants me to or not...I paid $50 for that can back in 1978 (in Taos, NM) while enroute to Philmont Scout Ranch. When I arrived home from Philmont, my parents were REALLY TICKED OFF at me for spending $50 for a beer can...BELOW AVERAGE: HEADWORK.

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They built a new Q while I was there in 2010-2011 then promptly tore it down. There was some rumor about it was inside some min safe zone boundary for ops at South Field.

However, I do remember a beer machine just outside the barber shop on Whiting at the Q. 50 cents for a cold coors lite? I'm game.
If true, a textbook example of DoD bureaucratic incompetence. Just wow. Wonder what that cost?

Oh, and Coors Lite? Dude. Life is way too short to drink shit beer. I'd rather get the silver bullet than drink it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now hold the phone! They're using the old punch-top (flat-top) style can again? That hasn't been done since the 1950's/1960's...WOW...that's pretty cool. I was an avid beer can collector in the 1970's while growing up in northern Wisconsin. I still have a few of my punch-top (flat-top) and cone-top cans...including a 1936 Budweiser punch-top (flat-top) can which supposedly was the first year beer was put in cans. I'm going to post a pic of that can later whether anybody wants me to or not...I paid $50 for that can back in 1978 (in Taos, NM) while enroute to Philmont Scout Ranch. When I arrived home from Philmont, my parents were REALLY TICKED OFF at me for spending $50 for a beer can...BELOW AVERAGE: HEADWORK.
I have a co-worker that has a 3000 can collection.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...I was an avid beer can collector in the 1970's while growing up in northern Wisconsin...

And I thought your affinity for DD was a bit odd, I certainly hope you have gotten some new hobbies since then. Was there really nothing else to do back then in that neck of the woods other than cow tipping and beer can collecting?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
And I thought your affinity for DD was a bit odd, I certainly hope you have gotten some new hobbies since then. Was there really nothing else to do back then in that neck of the woods other than cow tipping and beer can collecting?
Believe it or not there really wasn't much to do in Stanley, WI (population about 2,000) back in the 1970's. Ride bikes, ride go-karts/mini-bikes, school, school sports, Boy Scouts, church and collect beer cans...not necessarily in that order. Most of the beer can trading occurred at Boy Scout meetings. Cow tipping was highly discouraged (and didn't happen that I know of) due to the fact that Stanley was a dairy farming town.

As previously promised, pictured below is my 1936 Budweiser punch-top (flat-top) beer can that I paid $50 for in 1978 which upset my parents BIG TIME. Please note the 'PI Special' T-34C and TH-57B aircraft that further enhance the presentation.

:D

Last edited:

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I have a co-worker that has a 3,000 can collection.
That's a pretty good size collection!

I was limited to about 1500 cans due to my parents not wanting more space taken up in the basement.

One of my buds had over 10,000 cans...freaking insane!

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Just a reminder from a previous post I made on this thread since I never earned the VT-2 "Golden Doer" squadron patch...I was an SNA in VT-2 but not an IP. I would like the patch to go to an appropriate home:

If there are any VT-2 IP's here at AW that have earned the "Golden Doer" squadron patch (and if you want a back-up), please let me know and I'll send to you (no charge for the patch and I'll pay shipping) the patch I have pictured in the first post here. I'll take your word for it that you earned the patch.

Last edited:

mdubs

pilot
O club was torn down when I got there. Lack of interest was the rumor... Thanks for the golden doer offer, mine is framed on my wall :)

brownshoe

Contributor
I was at the Cecil Field O'Club for a "special" post-Desert Storm celebration including a lot of talented dancers and "entertainers." All this prior to Paula Coughlin mind you, but wow, what a party :)
Too bad Bzb's down for the count, he has a weekend lobster cookout story to tell. Something to do with Maine, blivets and a 44 plane disappearing for the weekend. 'course I never saw anything like that happen. (My how things have changed.)

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
O club was torn down when I got there.
O-club? An O-club? Heck, when I was there 10 years ago . . .

:confused:

:(

:eek:

God, I can't believe I just typed that. Fuck, how did I get this old? At any rate, it was an all-hands "Wings" club then. Nearest O-club was Mustin Beach.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
So what happened to the T-28 and the TH-1 that were on sticks in front of the NASWF O'Club back in the 1980's?