• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VT-2 Golden Doer?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Pictured below on the left is my original VT-2 patch from 1986-1987 and on the right is a VT-2 patch that displays "Golden Doer" text. I'm not sure when/where/why/how I received the "Golden Doer" patch but I believe I received it either as a gift or as a patch trade after I left the Navy. Anyway, does anyone know the significance of the "Golden Doer" text? I know that VT-2 is called the "Doer Birds"...I'm just wondering what "Golden Doer" means.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I'll ask around tomorrow and Monday.
Cool beans...thanks for doing that.

Also, if you can possibly manage the time, can you please check to see if there's still a semi-hidden BOQ beer machine at the location of the tip of the blue arrow in the pic below? There was a semi-hidden BOQ beer machine at that location in the 1986-1988 time frame...just wondering if it's still there.

:D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool beans...thanks for doing that.

Also, if you can possibly manage the time, can you please check to see if there's still a semi-hidden BOQ beer machine at the location of the tip of the blue arrow in the pic below? There was a semi-hidden BOQ beer machine at that location in the 1986-1988 time frame...just wondering if it's still there.

:D

I like where your priorities are! The only beer vending machine I have ever seen at a 'military' facility was on Wake Island though it was manned by contractors at that point. I heard of one at the Atsugi Q years ago but don't know if it exists anymore.

Last edited:

mdubs

pilot
If you finish in the top 10 IPs at the end of the month (as far as flight hours) you are awarded a "Doer award" which is a piece of paper you can list on your FITREP. If you get 12 Doer awards, you get a "Golden Doer" squadron patch that you can wear instead of the regular VT-2 patch.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
If you finish in the top 10 IPs at the end of the month (as far as flight hours) you are awarded a "Doer award" which is a piece of paper you can list on your FITREP. If you get 12 Doer awards, you get a "Golden Doer" squadron patch that you can wear instead of the regular VT-2 patch.
Good info...thanks, man!

Maybe I should send the "Golden Doer" squadron patch back to VT-2 since I was an SNA there...not an IP. It was my dream to return to VT-2 as an IP...but the detailer didn't have that in the cards for me. If anything, at least now I know not to display the "Golden Doer" squadron patch on an old flight jacket, old helmet bag (or anything else) since I didn't earn it.

LATE ENTRY: If there are any VT-2 IP's here at AW that have earned the "Golden Doer" squadron patch (and if you want a back-up), please let me know and I'll send to you (no charge for the patch and I'll pay shipping) the patch I have pictured in the first post here. I'll take your word for it that you earned the patch.

Last edited:

brownshoe

Contributor
I like where your priorities are! The only beer vending machine I have ever seen at a 'military' facility was on Wake Island though it was manned by contractors at that point. I heard of one at the Atsugi Q years ago but don't know if it exists anymore.

Me too! Crap, thanks for the memories. Used to see machines at Pensacola way back when (60's), and Bolling AFB at the geedunk back during the 70's.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lived in the Whiting Q from 2004-2005. Had the dubious privilege of not only thus being on the Ivan cleanup team, but also having to suffer through the aftereffects of the hailstorm 9 months later which rendered most of the rest of the Q uninhabitable thanks to roof leakage. I left for Meridian before they could get me a new room, so I just suffered through mold in my apartment for a few weeks. No beer vending machines to be seen, but the bar in the lobby was still there. As was the Wings club across the street, good for the occasional tie-cutting and lunch excursion. Google Earth apparently says it's torn down now. Shame; they had damn good cole slaw on their lunch menu.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
They built a new Q while I was there in 2010-2011 then promptly tore it down. There was some rumor about it was inside some min safe zone boundary for ops at South Field.

However, I do remember a beer machine just outside the barber shop on Whiting at the Q. 50 cents for a cold coors lite? I'm game.

As far as the Golden Doer patch goes- I never saw one while I was there as a stud.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Me too! Crap, thanks for the memories. Used to see machines at Pensacola way back when (60's), and Bolling AFB at the geedunk back during the 70's.

1984- NAS Pensacola had 1 BOQ Vending machine which produced a close to frozen beer in exchange for $.50 - a decent price for the man than failed to buy enough beer at the grocery store. Or a last minute fishing trip.

I recall paying less than $3 for a six pack at the store. SUPER deals were in the $2.75 range.

brownshoe

Contributor
1984- NAS Pensacola had 1 BOQ Vending machine which produced a close to frozen beer in exchange for $.50 - a decent price for the man than failed to buy enough beer at the grocery store. Or a last minute fishing trip.

I recall paying less than $3 for a six pack at the store. SUPER deals were in the $2.75 range.
$ 2.75??? I'll have you know at the EM club during happy hour at Cecil the beer was ten cents a can. That, plus we had Go-Go dancers!:D

robav8r

None
Contributor
$ 2.75??? I'll have you know at the EM club during happy hour at Cecil the beer was ten cents a can. That, plus we had Go-Go dancers!:D
I was at the Cecil Field O'Club for a "special" post-Desert Storm celebration including a lot of talented dancers and "entertainers." All this prior to Paula Coughlin mind you, but wow, what a party :)