• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VR-1

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Does anyone have any info on VR-1? Seems like a really cool mission (getting to fly the SECNAV and CNO around), but my research has turned up little more than a Facebook page. I was wondering if anyone had any info on the squadron/the other ETDs (Hawaii and Italy I think) over in the VR world. Any chances for active duty to get over there for a tour or is it all FTS and SELRES?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Never say never, but I wouldn't plan on that. As a FTS, they're hard to get into. Also, not all the ETDs are also the VR squadron. For example, VR-51 has its own squadron spaces, but the ETD over at Hickham is physically separate (with a different jet).

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
It’s all FTS & SELRES. As for the ETDs, word is that they are being closed down and folded back into VR-1. No timeline has been given for that one yet.
True statement. My XO was supposed to head out to be the OIC of ETDPAC in July. She lost her orders 3 weeks before she transferred. Both ETDs moving to DC with VR-1.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Never say never, but I wouldn't plan on that. As a FTS, they're hard to get into. Also, not all the ETDs are also the VR squadron. For example, VR-51 has its own squadron spaces, but the ETD over at Hickham is physically separate (with a different jet).
VR-51 is no longer executive transport. They’re a C-40 squadron now.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Does anyone have any info on VR-1? Seems like a really cool mission (getting to fly the SECNAV and CNO around), but my research has turned up little more than a Facebook page. I was wondering if anyone had any info on the squadron/the other ETDs (Hawaii and Italy I think) over in the VR world. Any chances for active duty to get over there for a tour or is it all FTS and SELRES?
For Navy guys, that’s a second tour FTS billet. You’d go fly C-40s or C-130s for your first FTS tour.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
For Navy guys, that’s a second tour FTS billet. You’d go fly C-40s or C-130s for your first FTS tour.
Is SELRES an option for both C-40/C-130 and the Gulfstreams or are those FTS only? Another question: could one go straight to the SELRES and apply for VR or does one have to go FTS and then make the switch?

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Ah, interesting. So now they have to fly a 737 out of HI instead of a GIV? How do those guys manage? Rough life.
Yeah, they transitioned just last year. They only have 2 jets, as opposed to 3 that the rest of the C-40 squadrons have. So far it’s been nice from a scheduling standpoint. Especially for the never ending CAG 5 moves from Iwakuni to Atsugi.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Is SELRES an option for both C-40/C-130 and the Gulfstreams or are those FTS only? Another question: could one go straight to the SELRES and apply for VR or does one have to go FTS and then make the switch?
Yes, SELRES is an option for both C-40s and C-130s. You can either go SELRES from FTS or go straight to SELRES from active duty. If you go FTS, you have to be selected by a board into the FTS community. If you go SELRES, you are only applying to a specific squadron. Usually when someone rushes a squadron as a SELRES, they’ll come in and meet the front office on a drill weekend before the squadron holds its board (which is usually twice a year). Squadrons want to select SELRES that have a lot of flight time, a lot of A time and live locally. Usually the guys who are local have higher participation. As far as VR-1 and SELRES, I’m not sure, I’ll defer to someone else who knows more about that squadron.

Last edited:

jointhelocalizer

pilot
What does a typical career path look like for an FTS VR pilot? Could you stay in the cockpit for the majority of your time or do you have to do tours outside of the cockpit for career enhancement?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
What does a typical career path look like for an FTS VR pilot? Could you stay in the cockpit for the majority of your time or do you have to do tours outside of the cockpit for career enhancement?

It’s harder to homestead in a squadron these days as FTS. PERS pushes the FTS more towards the ‘reserve management’ role, aka, working in a NOSC or some other reserve related staff or billet.

If you go FTS, go with the knowledge that you’re guaranteed one flying tour as a DH. If you switch early, as in right after your first shore tour, you can likely get two tours as FTS in a squadron. After that it’s a crap shoot. There are some squadrons with O-5, non-CO/XO types, but there aren’t a lot.

That why I went Air Force, I was in an FTS squadron for 8 years and just wanted to fly, even volunteered to go instruct in primary, etc. The detailer pretty much told me I had to go to a non-flying job.

taxi1

pilot
Waaayyyyy back in the day, we had an FTS that did a tour in our active duty fleet squadron as a DH.

Actually, it was the predecessor to the FTS, forget what they were called now.

He went on to pick up a flag.