• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VP to Jets Transition Question

PatrolFighter

pilot
Oh, and even with all the wickets done, all quals, outstanding performance in my ground job, I still got punched in the dick on my out the door FITREP.

It's going to depend on how the skipper liked the idea of transitions in the first place. In my case, Skipper D supported me, but his XO, who was the CO when I left, did not. Skipper D gave me a good FITREP at the C o C, but I was only a JG, and his XO wrote my only LT FITREP in HSL.

Sent from a van down by the river via Tapatalk

We’re you able to recover from the fitrep and go unobserved for the 2 or so years to get back through training and still be successful? What was the process once you got to the squadron? Did you sit down with the front office and look at timing and necessary wickets? Just curious as I’m going back through as a student and wanted to get your perspective.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
We’re you able to recover from the fitrep and go unobserved for the 2 or so years to get back through training and still be successful? What was the process once you got to the squadron? Did you sit down with the front office and look at timing and necessary wickets? Just curious as I’m going back through as a student and wanted to get your perspective.

Pay attention to the last time that poster was online...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Pretty sure he FOSx2 and now works at Delta. He's also not posting around here anymore.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I've seen plenty of guys do well after transitioning and plenty that didn't, a lot of it depended on the standard luck and timing. Some communities seemed to be more accommodating to transitions and some weren't, I think a lot of those differences have dissipated in the last decade or so. At least for most though how one did was based on performance in the squadron though expectations were often higher for a transition as an officer.

I would definitely sit down and talk to the front office about their expectations for you as a transition, the two CO's and my last XO (a transition himself, twice) in my Prowler squadron had much different expectations and it made things a bit more difficult, partly because of a lack of communication. So knowing what is expected of you from your CO's and your DH's when it comes to how they want you to progress and what else they expect of you as a transition will be key.

PatrolFighter

pilot
I've seen plenty of guys do well after transitioning and plenty that didn't, a lot of it depended on the standard luck and timing. Some communities seemed to be more accommodating to transitions and some weren't, I think a lot of those differences have dissipated in the last decade or so. At least for most though how one did was based on performance in the squadron though expectations were often higher for a transition as an officer.

I would definitely sit down and talk to the front office about their expectations for you as a transition, the two CO's and my last XO (a transition himself, twice) in my Prowler squadron had much different expectations and it made things a bit more difficult, partly because of a lack of communication. So knowing what is expected of you from your CO's and your DH's when it comes to how they want you to progress and what else they expect of you as a transition will be key.

Thanks Flash. I would certainly expect more out of me as an officer coming back through a second time. I am excited for the challenge and grateful for the opportunity.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks Flash. I would certainly expect more out of me as an officer coming back through a second time. I am excited for the challenge and grateful for the opportunity.

It is a great opportunity that few get but just be prepared for your bosses to sometimes not be entirely sure how to treat you which is why getting some words on expectations from the front office is a good idea.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

He FOSx2 after lower high water fitreps after the transition partly to keep First tour “on path” JOs more competitive, got out, worked in the oil fields then flew overseas for a while and now flys international at Delta.

Be mentally prepared to finish out as a FOSx2 who transfers to the reserves/ air guard while flying at a major airline. that way If you want to get out you’ll meet expectations and if you want to stay in and end up advancing better then you’ll be in for a treat.

Definitely communicate expectations and with your new fleet front office. It’s possible you’ll screen for DH because folks with better paper trails decided to get out, but it’s all luck and timing either way.

PatrolFighter

pilot
He FOSx2 after lower high water fitreps after the transition partly to keep First tour “on path” JOs more competitive, got out, worked in the oil fields then flew overseas for a while and now flys international at Delta.

Be mentally prepared to finish out as a FOSx2 who transfers to the reserves/ air guard while flying at a major airline. that way If you want to get out you’ll meet expectations and if you want to stay in and end up advancing better then you’ll be in for a treat.

Definitely communicate expectations and with your new fleet front office. It’s possible you’ll screen for DH because folks with better paper trails decided to get out, but it’s all luck and timing either way.

I won't have terrible paperwork but it won't be as good as it would've been had I stayed in the community, and that's the worry. No chance I'll be on the golden path over in VFA land because I didn't start there. I am going to try and make the best of my world, control what I can control, and work hard for the rest. Either way you're not wrong about timing and luck. Delta won't hate my application in a few years either. :)

Python

pilot
Contributor
I won't have terrible paperwork but it won't be as good as it would've been had I stayed in the community, and that's the worry. No chance I'll be on the golden path over in VFA land because I didn't start there. I am going to try and make the best of my world, control what I can control, and work hard for the rest. Either way you're not wrong about timing and luck. Delta won't hate my application in a few years either. :)

Just out of curiosity, what are your reasons for wanting to make this move?

PatrolFighter

pilot
Just out of curiosity, what are your reasons for wanting to make this move?

Many. First, and most cliche is that I've always wanted to. Secondly, because in my mind it's the right thing to do. There is a shortfall and I am willing to help man the flight line despite all the bullshit up and down the flight line and chain of command. The rest are personal and selfish reasons.