• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Volunteering Question

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Hey all,

My mother has asked me to help out at a charity golf tournament she works for while home on leave. The charity augments the military supply system by buying equipment such as generators, packs, flaks, kevlars, etc. for deployed troops in order to get around shortages, back-ups, and budgetary restrictions. Units can send direct requests for equipment. It is a noble cause, and it beats just sitting there waiting for Advanced to start, but I am a bit concerned about the narrative.

In a sentence it feels like the charity pretty much says "The government does not adequately equip and support the military, so we have to step in and take care of what the government won't." They'll also do demos to show how the equipment they buy and send is better than the issued gear. My main concern is that the event might give the government a bad look. And with me being in the Navy, it might look like servicemembers also think that. I'm of course not going to wear a uniform or actively advertise my service, but you never know. The charity is registered with the CFC, if that makes a difference.

I know we are all aware that military equipment isn't always the best and we buy some gear to go along with or substitute the issued gear.

Just wanted to see if I should still volunteer or steer clear.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nothing wrong with participating out of uniform, but... I'm questioning the need for any of this. Even at the height of Iraq and Afghanistan, where there were some legitimate shortages of stuff, there's no real mechanism to actually get this "to the troops on the front line. It's all just silly performative "we support the troops" nonsense, IMO. The fact that it's still going on, when there's zero need, makes me wonder if there isn't some kind of grift going on.

TLDR: There are lots of great ways servicemembers can volunteer their time. This doesn't sound like one of them.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
As a veteran of the long war on the ground side, I have to say this makes me nervous. Who is buying the protective equipment like vest plates? Are they really milspec? Once I get a rather kindly donated set do I own it? What if I’m leaving country and some uptight sergeant major asks why I’m taking what he sees as government property? Heading to the other side, are things like generators property shielded so they don’t mess up other equipment? What kind of fuel do they use?

I appreciate the kindness but as a former leader of troops I’d be weary of my guys utilizing too much non-standard (non-issued) stuff. I can envision a number of potential headaches. On the other hand, guys always love the “any soldier” treat boxes piled up at every FOB. Filled with soft toilet paper, pop-tarts, candy, coffee, and what not they saved me a fortune in trips to AAFES!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nothing wrong with participating out of uniform, but... I'm questioning the need for any of this. Even at the height of Iraq and Afghanistan, where there were some legitimate shortages of stuff, there's no real mechanism to actually get this "to the troops on the front line. It's all just silly performative "we support the troops" nonsense, IMO. The fact that it's still going on, when there's zero need, makes me wonder if there isn't some kind of grift going on.

TLDR: There are lots of great ways servicemembers can volunteer their time. This doesn't sound like one of them.
What does it take to get listed as a charity for the CFC? If there is any vetting at all, I'd think it is worthwhile. That said, concerns like yours and @Griz882 of any of these supply the troops charities I'd never thought seriously about. Big leap from socks to tactical gear.

What does it take to get listed as a charity for the CFC? If there is any vetting at all, I'd think it is worthwhile. That said, concerns like yours and @Griz882 of any of these supply the troops charities I'd never thought seriously about. Big leap from socks to tactical gear.
Yeah I could not actually see the battalion commander of a conventional unit ever letting this fly. Seems totally inconceivable to circumvent the legitimate supply chain for core equipment like generators or flaks, especially with the intention of expressly demo-ing that gear as a superior replacement to inadequate official equipment. Privately sourced/donated gear would be more appropriate for high speed accessories, or lux camping gear to make life in the field more civilized. (jetboils, etc)

Is the charity "Troops Direct"?

Last edited:
Looks like a bit of a racket capitalizing on the "support the troops" theme and I share Brett's suspicion that some form of grift is occurring here. Likewise your concern about their narrative/"sales pitch". (versus something genuinely charitable like the Navy & Marine Corps Relief Society)

That's the philanthropy world though and it's probably ultimately harmless.