• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

volunteer work

cgoetz

I am curious how much of a bearing does volunteer work have on your package? I mean would it be preferrable if I had as opposed to not having it?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
It depends if you are lacking in material for your application. There is no specific "bearing" in how anything applies for the application process. The board looks at the entire package. I would recommend doing it.

nugget81

pilot
And put any volunteer work you've done--not matter how big or small. Remember, you are selling yourself on paper! Make it look great!

Lobster

For sure if you have time do it and anything else you can as well. Pick something fun to do I got a ton of volunteer hours by coaching little kids playing hockey, had a blast and looks great on the application.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is helpful to help round you out, so to speak. USNA uses a similar process with points assigned to things like volunteer work, etc. It creates a whole person multiple value. They don't want someone who is pidgeon holed in one corner of the graph, like just high grades.

What you've done is noteworthy. Volunteering over a longer period of time is desirable. It becomes obvious when you do it one time to try to flesh out a resume or application. You may be asked about it during your interview. Be able to explain how it also forced you to interact and work with parents and league leadership, etc. Don't make it all about just you and the kids on the team.

That said, my house needs painting and I need both cars washed. Feel free to volunteer in my direction. J/K :D

cgoetz

Well I guess I better put down for some volunteer work then because I need something to boost my application which other than having two menial jobs and being the treasurer of the naval aviation club at college I don't have much else to go on.

navy09

None
Just make sure you don't neglect the big ticket items- the ones that really matter...GPA, ASTB, etc.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
related internships never hurt either, it's like volunteering except you're more like an indentured servant till you finish.:D

cgoetz

um, actually I ma a little late for internships. I was thinking about doing it this summer but I decided to take classes for the first half, and besides somebody who did it said that you usually go for the whole summer and they tend to send you outta state for it. This is my final year so I won't have anytime do it unless I decide to take one of my classes next summer in case I can't finish up during the regular semester.

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
Sometimes it sucks, but UC makes you perform at least 30 hours of community service per year to maintain any scholarship. It really is for our own good though because it helps with apps, and I've had a lot of fun doing it.

In h/s though, we had senior government class that you were required to perform 30 hours of community service per quarter. I helped out at a community "haunted forest" which gave me one of my favorite memories of h/s. Junior year we had to do 10 community service hours for a career readiness class.

Overall, any employer loves community service.