• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VMI vs. The Citadel (this thread is for school bashing!)

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I went to Virginia Tech for a year before I had to transfer out due to family issues. Bummer you didn't make it in to Tech, because I loved that place for its balance of civilian and military college experiences (also for the VT vs. VMI antics) - some of you Keydets may remember the VMI Alpha Co. guidon disappearing for a night.

woot! i just got the email- i was accepted to Virginia Tech too, although they changed the major i requested, on me.

So i'm up to:

accepted:
Virginia Military Institute - visited, still my 1st choice
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - not yet visited, 2nd choice
The Citadel - not yet visited
Virginia Tech (Corps of Cadets) - not yet visited
North Georgia State College and University - will not go here (they only have Army ROTC for their Corps of Cadets so they were a safe, backup school since i'd have to still apply for Navy OCS after college graduation)

still waiting for an admission decision on:
Texas A&M (Corps of Cadets) - no word yet
George Washington University - no word yet
College of the Holy Cross - no word yet
Norwich University - no word yet
University of Maryland at College Park - no decision yet

...and the number one school i'm sorry now that i didn't apply to (i thought i wouldn't be accepted and now i'm sorry i didn't try):
US Naval Academy -:cry_125:

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
CONGRATS! Virginia Tech is a great place to be. Like I said before you can't really make a bad choice. You've got a lot going for yourself. Good luck!

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
yay! i get to move Norwich University from the "still waiting" column to the "accepted" column :)

NUFO06

None
Getting accepted to Norwich is not a big deal...staying there is. There are some real retards who got into Norwich. But congrats!

I graduated two years ago and the Corps was still the major majority. The school likes to play up there civilian side as much as possible. More paying civilians = more scholarships for the corps side. Most of the civis dont live on campus, most that live on campus are althletes, doesnt help because we will foever suck at football. But we do beat the coasties. The civilians were annoying, but having more girls on campus did make the upperclass experience better.

The thing I liked that was different then the federal academies (but I would have gone to the fed academies if given the chance) was being around all the other services..Most of my buddies are in the army, air force and marines, not the navy.

Anywhere you go its going to be up to you how "hardcore" or how much of a tool you want to be.

But honestly...if you know in your heart you want to fly, why not Emry Riddle?

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
But honestly...if you know in your heart you want to fly, why not Emry Riddle?

Embry-Riddle is only my 2nd choice right now because
appeals to me :captain_1

but i'm going to give everyone a look, including Norwich now, before i decide...

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I'm sure all the cadre's at the military type schools will be thrilled you go "yay!" after each acceptance.
NROTC Unit Commander "Way to go on the inspection middies! Can I get an Oooo-rah?!"
DSL-"Yayyyyy!":D
NROTC Unit Commander-Puzzled Look:icon_rage

mike172

GO NAVY
ROTC rocks. Granted its not as "hard core" as the military colleges ( I assume) but you get that disipline while getting to be a relativly normal civilian. Way to go in my mind. Wait for those other schools. I am actually trying to transfer to GW. I love ROTC I wouldnt want to have gone anyother way.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
When I applied at Tech they accepted me into General Engineering (the college) but was able to pick my own major. Did they put you in "University Studies"? That just means they're giving you your freshman year to show you can be admitted to the college you're trying to get into.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
When I applied at Tech they accepted me into General Engineering (the college) but was able to pick my own major. Did they put you in "University Studies"? That just means they're giving you your freshman year to show you can be admitted to the college you're trying to get into.

yep. i wanted mechanical or aerospace engineering and got university studies. good to know that it's kind of a temp major. so what do you have to do? could i still take engineering courses like engineering 104 if i am university studies?