• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VMI vs. The Citadel (this thread is for school bashing!)

phrogpilot73

VMI is out in the boondocks of Virginia next to a very small town while the Citadel is in one of the most beautiful cities in the country, Charleston.
Yup. Can't wait to go back. And I didn't even go to The Citadel. It's a great city.

I'd use the days from school on the Citadel. You really can't "see" how gorgeous and awesome that city is, unless you go in person. My wife and I want to get property down there for when we retire.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I know you probably didn't mean anything by it Flash, but Norwich is in no way like VT or Texas A&M, the Corps is the majority of the school. Also, from what I understand about the other two, the Corps is largely a 9-5, weekday, type of experience.

/End threadjack

so is that true? the corps at Texas A&M and Virginia Tech are 9-5 weekday experiences? how does it differ from normal rotc then?

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I chose VMI because I liked the atmosphere. It's not in a large party town, so I don't have that distraction. I'm locked down much like a prison, so I'm forced to study, not go out drinking and partying every night like I would have at a normal college. I also wanted and needed the discipline. I am not the same person I was when I Matriculated on 19 August 2006. That six months of the Ratline was tough. Mentally, physically, spiritually. No if, ands, or buts. No matter where you go, it will be the same way.

Also, there is something to be said about the type of person it takes to get up at the crack of dawn to go and stand in the freezing cold, and then march down to chow, only to face a full day of classes and other duties. In my first four months at the Mother I, I did more than any of my friends from high school did in their entire freshman year.

That being said, no matter where you go you'll only get out of the experience what you put in. If you go, go full tilt and put out 100%, no less. Best of luck, and I hope to see you straining in the Fall.

EDITED TO ADD: The following links might help you in your search for information. I was in your shoes not too long ago, though it seems like it's been forever.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13177

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132141

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13294

Thanks for the links AllAmerican. i read through all of them, and they have given me some insights into some of the things i will use in my decision process. And by the way, you have a very nice blog too! I found that from one of your threads. you are actually able to keep up on it- i'd have trouble doing that myself. big props to you!!!! :D

i'm really looking for a full-on military school experience, and that sounds more like what VMI, The Citadel and Norwich can offer me. I'm just a bit put off by the comments i am reading about how the corps at Texas A&M and VT are 9-5 experiences, because if i want a 9-5 experience, i'd probably go to Embry-Riddle then and just do normal nrotc and go flying a lot. nothing i had read before on Texas A&M and Virginia Tech had suggested that they were 9-5, so for that, i'm thankful for the information here on AW.

By the way, have you ever heard of New Mexico Military Institute? one of the contributors on one of those 3 threads mentioned they were going there. i thought there were only 6 state military colleges in the US- vmi, citadel, norwich, north georgia state college and university, texas a&m and virginia tech. what is new mexico military institute? :confused:

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
for those i'm not responded to, i want to still thank everyone for their comments. i'm reading all of them! :)

SlickAg

pilot
I'm just a bit put off by the comments i am reading about how the corps at Texas A&M and VT are 9-5 experiences, because if i want a 9-5 experience, i'd probably go to Embry-Riddle then and just do normal nrotc and go flying a lot. nothing i had read before on Texas A&M and Virginia Tech had suggested that they were 9-5, so for that, i'm thankful for the information here on AW.

A&M is 9 to 5? I sure wish I'd known that when I was there. I seem to recall most of my days my freshmen year starting at around 5ish and ending around 11. Too bad my upperclassmen didn't read AW, then they would've known that we were being woken up FAR too early.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
A&M is 9 to 5? I sure wish I'd known that when I was there. I seem to recall most of my days my freshmen year starting at around 5ish and ending around 11. Too bad my upperclassmen didn't read AW, then they would've known that we were being woken up FAR too early.

well, i should have qualified my remark with a, "...except for freshman who don't get to sleep". but anyways, i know (and don't know) only what i am reading... i haven't visited the citadel, texas a&m or virginia tech yet! :p

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Maybe I'm mistaken because I never went anywhere else military-wise, but VT was NOT purely a 9-5 experience. There is a huge difference between purely-ROTC schools and VTCC/A&M. Even though the setting is in a civilian school today, you must remember that good ole VPI was completely military until 1964.

I know this is totally partial. By all means, make your own decision but Virginia Tech was the best experience of my life, even though it was essentially a year of suck as a freshman (rat). Anywhere you go, however, give it your all. It's very true that it is what you make of it.

Good luck!

SlickAg

pilot
well, i should have qualified my remark with a, "...except for freshman who don't get to sleep". but anyways, i know (and don't know) only what i am reading... i haven't visited the citadel, texas a&m or virginia tech yet! :p

The freshmen aren't out there by themselves in the morning (e.g. the upperclassmen are usually up pretty early too). Furthermore, I stayed up later as I got older because 1) I could and 2) classes get harder. I think one of the perks of an A&M or VT type cadet corps is that you get to do your cadet thing, AND get to hang out and interact with, not to mention date, normal college students. You get to have your cake and eat it too. But I guess that's not hard-core enough for some people (pun intended).

My advice to you would be to talk to some younger alumni of the school who have had some time to put their cadet experience into perspective, but are still recent enough grads to have a somewhat current idea of what really happens behind closed doors. Most current cadets tend to be extremely proud of their school and tend to gloss over the negative aspects. Also, your attitude about a place changes the longer you stay there. I remember my freshman year first semester being so pumped about getting to go out and run the O-course and E-course on a Friday afternoon. By my junior year, well-cured of any desire to switch out my blue contract pin for a red one, that wasn't really my idea of fun. I tended to take it kind of easy too. The last thing I wanted to do was break any bones and jeapordize a flight spot. Priorities change. Just keep that in mind.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know you probably didn't mean anything by it Flash, but Norwich is in no way like VT or Texas A&M, the Corps is the majority of the school. Also, from what I understand about the other two, the Corps is largely a 9-5, weekday, type of experience.

/End threadjack

My point was that you still had a significant, albeit small compared to A&M or VT, civilian student body. It still makes for a much different experience than an all-military school.

As for location, you all are a lot like VMI, out in the boondocks (I did an overnight stay).

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
You get to have your cake and eat it too. But I guess that's not hard-core enough for some people (pun intended).

Indeed. DSL - I don't know if it's too late, but you might want to take advantage of the "Spend the night with the Corps" program at Virginia Tech. Make sure you talk to some freshmen as well. That should give you a decent idea of the experience the VTCC/Texas A&M offers. Then, if you want to see the difference between VT and A&M all you have to do is slap some goofy knee-high brown boots on and - voila!

JK Slick. :icon_tong

Anyway - this is a good problem to have DSL, just do some research and pick what fits.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
My point was that you still had a significant, albeit small compared to A&M or VT, civilian student body. It still makes for a much different experience than an all-military school.

As for location, you all are a lot like VMI, out in the boondocks (I did an overnight stay).

isn't it true that half the students at norwich are civilian non-corps now? i think this was discussed in an online-chat that the norwich admission office sponsored that i was participating in.

since citadel also has its evening program, i guess vmi is the last hold-out for all corps among the military schools.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Indeed. DSL - I don't know if it's too late, but you might want to take advantage of the "Spend the night with the Corps" program at Virginia Tech. Make sure you talk to some freshmen as well. That should give you a decent idea of the experience the VTCC/Texas A&M offers. Then, if you want to see the difference between VT and A&M all you have to do is slap some goofy knee-high brown boots on and - voila!

JK Slick. :icon_tong

Anyway - this is a good problem to have DSL, just do some research and pick what fits.

texas a&m reached out to me and invited me to their camping with the aggiecorps event (ok, that's not what it's called, but what i'm calling it :D). but i haven't heard anything about the VT sleepover.

my problem is that these schools seem to hate scheduling sleepovers for weekends, and my high school will only give me two more school days off for "college exploration".

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why exactly would you want to do this? Go to a non-federal military academy. (Sorta a contradiction in terms eh?:D;))

Don't get me wrong here...please. This is a real question for those of you who want to and or did go to one of these schools.

Like some of the others who have already pointed out, I thought I needed the discipline and structure of a military school and I did not have the grades or desire to go to Annapolis. I had gone to a military high school one summer to redo some of my classes when I was younger and did well enough that I figured it would work in college too. My Mom agreed and off I went. It worked out well for me, I got the best grades I ever recieved and it helped me to get in the Navy.

I have never looked back with any regret, it was worth every penny.

P.S. Partying in places like Bangkok, Rota, Roppongi and even Manama beats any partying that I ever did at a real college (and yes, I did plenty at real schools). The women were hotter too. :D