• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vmfa-134?

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
A couple weeks ago I heard from a Marine Hornet Driver that the Smokes of VMFA-134 had gotten the axe. Anyone know if this true, And if so, A sundown date?

Thanks,
Adam
"VFA-203 Forever"
-Go Gators! VMFA-142-

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
VFA-203 Forever said:
A couple weeks ago I heard from a Marine Hornet Driver that the Smokes of VMFA-134 had gotten the axe. Anyone know if this true, And if so, A sundown date?

Thanks,
Adam
"VFA-203 Forever"
-Go Gators! VMFA-142-
Call 'em ... ask 'em. If the phone is still hooked up .... :)

Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 134 (VMFA-134)
4th Marine Aircraft Wing
PO Box 452024, MCAS Miramar
San Diego, California 92145-2024
(858) 577-4905​

bluto

They have the bullseye squarely on their back right now, but no one as yet has pulled the trigger. The higher ups can not make a solid decision without some congressional district raising a stink and the Smokes actually support a lot of units on a daily basis, so they have some active duty support (whatever good that will do them). The shutdown decision has changed 3 times in the last 6 months, so who knows. They've dodged a few bullets in the past, so I wouldn't count them out until the last jet is gone.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Every Marine reserve Hornet squadron is about to get the axe. Under utilization of the squadron's (the squadrons will argue you that because they've been working there arse's off since 911) combined with the Marine Corps selling its soul to JSF have lead the way to the demise of the reserve Hornets. Semper Fly, Frumby

We are starting to see quite a few applications from Hornet drivers to be MCRIP's.

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
Frumby said:
Every Marine reserve Hornet squadron is about to get the axe. Under utilization of the squadron's (the squadrons will argue you that because they've been working there arse's off since 911) combined with the Marine Corps selling its soul to JSF have lead the way to the demise of the reserve Hornets. Semper Fly, Frumby

We are starting to see quite a few applications from Hornet drivers to be MCRIP's.

:( I hate to hear that, Frumby.

Any idea when it'll go down?

Adam

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Well they're still alive, I toured the squadron last Wednesday. both them and VMFA(AW)-242 are looking at getting the axe... which is truly sad because 242 also gave me a tour and both of them are outstanding squadrons in my opinion.

bluto

Actual "cadre" ceremony on 11 Aug at 1330 in Miramar. Last flights were a two ship delivery to Lemoore at the end of July. We're throwing all our crap out now. Sad days.

ArcherNFO

Ordie now, Pilot soon
Actual "cadre" ceremony on 11 Aug at 1330 in Miramar. Last flights were a two ship delivery to Lemoore at the end of July. We're throwing all our crap out now. Sad days.

Yes it is...very sad days...no Ordnance since HCAX..:(

Bolter

pilot
jet selection

Us studs here in Meridian can see the writing on the wall. The so called "Harrier Draft" is nothing more than a by-product of the beginning of the end for the Hornet. The big question in our mind is this---with the aging of the A+, C and D, as well as the Harrier, what is going to bridge the gap when the F-35 gets delayed until 2015? Regardless, Hornets will still be my #1 on my dreamsheet.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The big question in our mind is this---with the aging of the A+, C and D, as well as the Harrier, what is going to bridge the gap when the F-35 gets delayed until 2015? Regardless, Hornets will still be my #1 on my dreamsheet.

Boeing will gladly crank out some Super Hornets to fill the gap....they's been a hoping and a prayin' that JSF will slip, slide or tank so they can put a Super Hornet in every garage (like a chicken in every pot)

bluto

That's what's really sad about the Corps right now. With so many other aviation (and other) funding priorities, I think they are sacrificing tac air for the time being (until JSF fully on line). How else do you justify "cadre" multiple squadrons in a time of war. It's just going to suck for the new guys, but I still would do it. It's the same as those of us who came up in the last 10 years hearing about the glory days in Cubi, etc; just even worse. Hopefully, some day we will get back to that (but I wouldn't hold my breath).

Bolter

pilot
A few months back six of us from VT-7 went to the aviation symposium in P-cola ("PME," but it was 3 days paid at the beach as well). The Marine General that was representing the pointy-nose guys kept stressing how the Corps is going to an all STOVL force in the future. Well, unless the Navy plans on building more amphibs, or we do indeed up buying some Supers, it should be an interesting 10 years for the fixed-wing guys.