• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vitamin D Deficiency - MEPS

StJP4Us

Hi all, going to MEPS soon for my pilot slot. My records state a history of vitamin D deficiency. Just got blood work done and I have 25 ng/mL. Quest Diagnostics say this is insufficient but not deficient. Deficient is 20 and below. Normal is 30 and above. Harvard medical studies say 12 and below is deficient and I'm in the normal range. Is this a DQ? My recruiter has never worked with vitamin D deficiency and I've already been sitting on this slot for awhile. She wants me to wait a few months and get my vitamin D levels up. I don't know if I can afford to wait that long and I can't find in any reg that vitamin D deficiency is a DQ.

StJP4Us

Right now I am but what I'm more concerned about is my recruiter not knowing if it is a DQ, saying it's iffy to get a waiver for it, and wanting to push my dates back further all because of something we don't know. How harmful would it be to send in the current blood work to MEPS and just wait and see what they come back with? Would they really permanently DQ me because of vit D levels without appeal?

Scimitarze

Automated Member
Do you take multivitamins? Those usually have a good amount of Vit D in them. I wouldn't think that'd be a DQ worthy issue.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
To OP, if you are thinking you have a “deficiency” based on some bell curve on a lab chart, know that those charts can be misleading and a chart’s bell curve is not a doctor. If you were admitted to a hospital due to vitamin D deficiency causing health problems for you, that’s different.

BLAB: Just walk into MEPS and let them decide how fit you are for duty, based on their labs and their evaluation. You aren’t a doctor. Don’t invent problems for yourself. Also, take your vitamins.

exNavyOffRec

Hi all, going to MEPS soon for my pilot slot. My records state a history of vitamin D deficiency. Just got blood work done and I have 25 ng/mL. Quest Diagnostics say this is insufficient but not deficient. Deficient is 20 and below. Normal is 30 and above. Harvard medical studies say 12 and below is deficient and I'm in the normal range. Is this a DQ? My recruiter has never worked with vitamin D deficiency and I've already been sitting on this slot for awhile. She wants me to wait a few months and get my vitamin D levels up. I don't know if I can afford to wait that long and I can't find in any reg that vitamin D deficiency is a DQ.
Many things about your post(s) are confusing either due to terminology you are using or your recruiter is not telling you the whole story, so first I will ask this, are you going for USN or USMC? and then what do you mean "I've already been sitting on this slot for awhile".

Mos

None
Just curious, but why did you ever get tested for your Vitamin D? Is that part of a standard panel?
Vitamin D is tested as part of a blood draw if doctor recommends. I ended up a hair below 20 in a recent draw. Treatment is pretty simple: picked up a 1000 iu bottle at the store, take it daily, and increased outside exercise.