• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Visual illusion

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
OK; I'm putting together a PowerPoint on visual illusions encountered in aviation (the usual suspects in the FAR/AIM and others). I included the non-aviation illusion below to get folks interested:

checkershadow_illusion4med.jpg

If you haven't seen it before it may be tough to answer, but can you tell me what squares A and B have in common? (Fellow mods, Prof Adelson of MIT, who developed this, has given permission to share).

Answer.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Ya I've seen this before, but it's pretty magical each and every time, when you cover up the board except for A and B and watch them all of a sudden match up. Weird...

HercDriver

pilot
Super Moderator
You guys are too good.

How 'bout this one (it will be the last one I post...and it is the last one on my PowerPt).

colors.gif

HercDriver

pilot
Super Moderator
That is a pretty scary illusion!

BTW: In the spiral pic I posted both the green and the blue used are actually the same color (it's the colors that bisect them that are different, so the brain interprets the contrast as different colors).

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
I have jumped on the grenade my fair share of times without the aid of an illusion. Sometimes it's your turn to take care of your shipmates.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I have jumped on the grenade my fair share of times without the aid of an illusion. Sometimes it's your turn to take care of your shipmates.

Uh... I don't mind "taking one for the team", but I hope none of my friends expect me to actually fuck one of those sea-cows. Best part of jumping on a fat grenade is you can distract them with a sandwich and make a hasty exit while your friends seal the deal! :tongue2_1

:D

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
I didn't trust the answer so I copied the picture into MS Paint... erased everything but the two squares.

Yep.. same color. Crazy.