• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vision requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgrubb

Two questions about vision requirements:

Is it true that the Navy has relaxed the vision requirements to 20/40 for only those who are already aviators or or are they relaxed also for those who are submitting applications for a pilot slot (I fall into the second category)?

Second, are there special vision requirements for entrance into the "jet" training pipeline? For example, if one has less than 20/20, is it still possible to get a jet airframe, given high performance in API and Primary?

My vision is 20/25 (correctable to 20/20) and any information on this would be great.

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
To answer your first quest is yes. the requirements for all pilots have been relaxed to 20/40. I belive this happened somtime this past summer. I know this because one of my eyes is 20/40. As for the second question i am not aware of an special requirements for vision in Jets.

Jim

hi everybody,

i visited my recruiter last week to take the take the ASTB and talk about my chances of getting a PRK waiver. Here I come to find out that I might not need the waiver since he showed me an officer programs matrix dated 8/6/01 that has on it the following for aviation officer candidate vision requirements: "no worse than 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in other; waiverable for better than 20/70 in best eye and no worse than 20/100 in worse eye". Has anyone else heard of this or could it be too good to be true? Could it be that maybe this is only for certain aircraft? My vision right now lies in the 20/60 range so if this is true than maybe its possible pending any changes in my vision that i might be able to qualify. Also, does anyone know if wearing contact lenses is allowed at OCS and for pilots through flight training and into the fleet? Thanks a lot for any info you could provide.

Jim

Al

Has anyone heard of someone getting a waiver for color blindness?

I took my pre-commission physical last week and failed the color-blindness test. The doc said I have a very mild case of red-green color blindness (1 in 20 males have it) which means I see a slightly different shade of red and green than people who don't.

I was told it would help my cause to go to a civilian doc and get an evaluation but I looked up the Navy regs and failing the test is cause for disqulification from the flight program.

Everyone at the base was telling me not to give up, and not to get discouraged but I thought the military rarely goes against it's regs. Could someone advise?

Jeff29

Science Project
Are you 100% sure that the Navy has approved LASEK? I know that normal PRK is OK (I've got a waiver), and I know LASIK is disqualifying, but I have not heard an official position on LASEK. I'd make sure you have it in writing from someone with the authority to make the call.

Status
Not open for further replies.