• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

vision req. coastie aviation

CarlsonUSCG

Im currently a senior putting my OCS packet together and my goal is flight, hopefully rotary. I have impared vision in one eye(i forget my exact 20/whatever) but i dont need glasses or anything. does anyone know the vision standards in the USCG for rotary or fixed wing flight?

thanks

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
If it's correctable to 20/20, no problem....but you said you don't wear glasses. Would glasses correct you to normal eyesight?

Below is the excerpt right off the Coast Guard's website.....

Vision requirements are also very stringent. Eyesight should be 20/20. If not, it must be correctable to 20/20, no exceptions. Uncorrected visual acuity must be better than 20/50 in either eye. There are other limitations imposed, based on the type and strength of the lens prescription. In addition, normal color perception, depth perception, and field of vision are also required.

kaputt

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but is there a max waiverable vision standard? For example the Air Force standard says uncorrected vision cannot exceed 20/70, however they will actually waiver people up to 20/200. So I'm just wondering if things work similarly for the USCG?

I tried to find an answer on the Coast Guard's website, but only added to my confusion when I came across this document (http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/6000-6999/CIM_6410_3.pdf) that states that the max uncorrected vision for a Class 1 aviator can be 20/200.

Clarification would be greatly appreciated.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Obviously not a coastie, and you should try to get that waiver if you can (assuming you're within waiverable standards).

My only comment is that it's difficult to get those waivers now-a-days and it might be more efficient to investigate getting PRK done. I was born with 20/20, my only initial difficulty was depth perception, but I know that everything I've read and everyone I've talked to has said that getting a waiver = time spent waiting and you still might be out of luck for whatever reason because that waiver gets re-evaluated while you're in further training. Rumors are still rumors, but I heard of some kid that was waivered and while he was down here getting classed up for API, NAMI decided that his waiver was no longer good enough to keep him in and just like that he was gone. Again, you can't trust rumors, but you can trust good vision and if you have the time (age wise) and the money to invest in such a thing as PRK, I think it would save you lots of trouble.

Sorry for all the run-ons.

kaputt

Well did a bit more research and found that the 20/200 limit is for already winged aviators. The SNA requirement for the USCG remains 20/50. I still am unable to find what the waiver standards are though (if there even are any?), so if any one has any knowledge on that subject, or could point me to someone I could get in contact with who would, it would be greatly appreciated.

As far as PRK goes, I'm a bit hesitant to get the surgery because I still am within waiver-able standards for the USAF without it. And according to my cousin who is currently a KC-10 pilot in the AF, that waiver is basically a formality. So if there was a way I could keep all my options open (USAF, USCG, USN) without having to get any eye surgery, then that is what I would like to do. My friend who is in Navy ROTC, however, did just get PRK done, and said it was the best decision he's made, so the option still lingers in the back of my mind.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
And according to my cousin who is currently a KC-10 pilot in the AF, that waiver is basically a formality.
That sentence seems more complete if you add "...if you are already a winged aviator."

There are some people on this forum that were accepted under similar waivers in the Navy, but in the last few years, I haven't seen/heard/read anything like that. Good luck to you in getting it though I think it is very difficult to get these days.