• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vision question

hi, I am a SNA hopeful and I can't seem to find a specific answer regarding refractive lint, so I apologize if this has already been posted.
I am aware that the refractive limit is +3.0 for hyperopia. Is this combined for both eyes? Or can I be 1.5 in one eye, and 1.75 in the other? I also have an astigmatism. (1.00) Worst case scenario I would be eligible for LASIK correct? Is it hard to get a waiver for lasik given my recovery goes as planned? Thank you.

hi, I am a SNA hopeful and I can't seem to find a specific answer regarding refractive lint, so I apologize if this has already been posted.
I am aware that the refractive limit is +3.0 for hyperopia. Is this combined for both eyes? Or can I be 1.5 in one eye, and 1.75 in the other? I also have an astigmatism. (1.00) Worst case scenario I would be eligible for LASIK correct? Is it hard to get a waiver for lasik given my recovery goes as planned? Thank you.

Here are the Navy's 2015 LASIK eye requirements
Applicantsmay not have more than 3D of pre-operative cylinder and 3.5D of pre-op anisometropia, and must satisfy the above general guidelines, as well as the following guidelines:
  1. Civilian applicants must obtain PRK or LASIK at their own expense at a civilian refractive surgery center. DoD instruction 6130.03, enclosure 4, requires a six month minimum wait time before submitting LASIK or PRK waiver requests for civilian accessions. All paperwork and operative reports must be available and submitted for waiver consideration.

2. SNA applicants shall not exceed pre-operative refractive limits of +3.00 to -8.00 (SE) for either PRK or LASIK, and must additionally have a post-operative cycloplegic refraction using cyclopentolate performed at a military installation.

Thank you so much for the reply! To clarify, is the pre op refractive limits for hyperopia (+3.00) total or per eye?

exNavyOffRec

Here are the Navy's 2015 LASIK eye requirements
Applicantsmay not have more than 3D of pre-operative cylinder and 3.5D of pre-op anisometropia, and must satisfy the above general guidelines, as well as the following guidelines:
  1. Civilian applicants must obtain PRK or LASIK at their own expense at a civilian refractive surgery center. DoD instruction 6130.03, enclosure 4, requires a six month minimum wait time before submitting LASIK or PRK waiver requests for civilian accessions. All paperwork and operative reports must be available and submitted for waiver consideration.

2. SNA applicants shall not exceed pre-operative refractive limits of +3.00 to -8.00 (SE) for either PRK or LASIK, and must additionally have a post-operative cycloplegic refraction using cyclopentolate performed at a military installation.

civilian applicants fall under NAVMED P-117 and some of the limits are different.