• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vision Degrading

sprangenson

I know that you must have 20/40 uncorrected to start flight school. I was wondering if it must stay better than 20/40 all the way through winging?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I know that you must have 20/40 uncorrected to start flight school. I was wondering if it must stay better than 20/40 all the way through winging?

NO. The second you step out of branch medical with your upchit, you can be 20/100. You are technically designated a STUDENT NAVAL AVIATOR and the requirements change. 20/40 is only for APPLICANTS.

You can even go as bad as 20/400 but after 20/100 you start getting restrictions on your upchit (multi-crew, no night landings or whatever the hell they are). Even if you went beyond 20/100 in the midst of flight school, they'd probably just send you to have your eyes zapped.

Rubiks06

pilot
They dont send you to get your eyes zapped but they will set you up to get a new prescription for glasses. This happened to me. I was 20/30 with my glasses and failed my flight physical three weeks before winging. Turns out the soonest they could get me in to see the doc was almost a month later. Needless to say i did some hunting around and with the help of an awesome ops-o i got in to see the doc the next morning.
Drink lots of water and eat a good breakfast before you eye exam. I had the long form that morning so I had to fast. Thats hard on the eyes. Needless to say i passed the first try the next morning and everything was fine. Bogey is right though they will keep beefin up your scrip to help you out. If you go on the NOMI website they have the limits and restrictions that your eyesight will give you. If you get to the extreme end of the spectrum you can lose your ability to be an aircraft commander without some serious waivers.
Anyway, if they get a little worse its not the end of the world and when you do get into the eye doc they can make your glasses same day if you are in a flight status.

AFCCT

I will have to second the idea of being hydrated and well rested for your eye exam. I had 20/20 my entire military career and when I took my eye exam at OCS they said I had 20/30. I am getting ready to start API now and recently had a re-evaluation for my eyes. I got a good 8 hrs of sleep and hydrated the best I could and now I got back to 20/20 and no longer am required to wear glasses. The optometrist said sleep, hydration, diet, and stress have a huge impact on your vision. My recommendation is that if you have some of these factors not working in your favor, try to get another appointment when you can get them to work in your favor.