• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vipers

Status
Not open for further replies.

batman527

Banned
Here's a discussion I haven't found anything on so far. Why the hell are all the AF guys now referring to F-16's as "Vipers"? Do they think that they're just too cool to call "Falcons" anymore? Do they feel like they've been out classed by the "Raptor"? I mean, technically a falcon is a raptor, so what's the big friggin deal? Ridiculous.

Snacks

Everyone leave, I have to poop. NOW!!!
Hmm, get over it. Let the -16 drivers call the plane whatever they want to call it. Why does it even matter to you, are you AF? Would it make you feel better if they decided to call it Sheila instead?

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
F-16 guys have always called it the Viper. Don't know why or where it came from but it's been around a long time.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Dates back to the '70s when the jet came out. Big intake up front on a lawn dart looking jet looked like the Vipers from the then sci fi show Battlestar Galactica. The name stuck. Kinda like how the Carl Vinson (then the biggest warship ever built) was termed Battlestar Vinson.

Geeks of the world unite.

Coota0

None
Snacks said:
Hmm, get over it. Let the -16 drivers call the plane whatever they want to call it. Why does it even matter to you, are you AF? Would it make you feel better if they decided to call it Sheila instead?

Shelia that's no name for an aircraft, I call the Piper I fly Bambi. :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
DanielSon said:
....Why the hell are all the AF guys now referring to F-16's as "Vipers"? ....
Dunno ... but back in the 80's when I was fighting them @ Luke, Willi, Nellis, Homstead, and Tyndall --- we (and they) used to refer to the F-16 derisively as .... "Lawn Darts".

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Have you guys ever played with the actual, old-fashioned lawn darts? My dad had some and they were a good way to kill somebody. No wonder they stopped making them

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
mules83 said:
Have you guys ever played with the actual, old-fashioned lawn darts? My dad had some and they were a good way to kill somebody. No wonder they stopped making them
I had some as a kid and they were no more dangerous than a host of other toys. I suspect they got pulled after a particularly horrific incident - probably some idiot got nailed in the eye. Kids can and will hurt themselves with just about anything, including rocks and sticks, but I don't see a movement to ban those.

Brett

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
Goober said:
Dates back to the '70s when the jet came out. Big intake up front on a lawn dart looking jet looked like the Vipers from the then sci fi show Battlestar Galactica. The name stuck. Kinda like how the Carl Vinson (then the biggest warship ever built) was termed Battlestar Vinson.

Geeks of the world unite.
That's good to know. I have heard the lawn dart thing.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
From what I've been able to hunt up, viper was the name assigned to the project by General Dynamics during development. I was also under the impression from an F-16 demonstration I once saw, that Viper is the favored name within NATO but I don't know how true that is.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Brett327 said:
I had some as a kid and they were no more dangerous than a host of other toys. I suspect they got pulled after a particularly horrific incident - probably some idiot got nailed in the eye. Kids can and will hurt themselves with just about anything, including rocks and sticks, but I don't see a movement to ban those.

Brett

true, but an object that has a 5 inch (?) metal spike being thrown up in the air is a little different then most childern games i have played

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
mules83 said:

I had them as a child...I realize now that my parents were trying to kill me. They never actually said "kill." Mom just wanted a 23rd trimester abortion.

I think most jets get called "lawn darts." I've heard both F-18s and AV-8s called "Carolina lawn darts." SC and NC, respectively.

The original full name for the 16 was "Fighting Falcon," which sounds almost as lame as the F-22's proposed name,"Superstar." I can see why they changed it.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
mules83 said:
true, but an object that has a 5 inch (?) metal spike being thrown up in the air is a little different then most childern games i have played

Did you play with dolls?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
mules83 said:
I would hardly call it a spike - it was faily blunt as I recall. Ever played smear the queer with a rock/sharp stick?

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Lawn Darts. Popular in the late '70's/early '80's. I bought some in Beeville @ the Exchange for my kids.

F-16's. They called 'em "LAWN DARTS" because that's what they looked like and that's the final flight trajectory of many of them in their early days.

Status
Not open for further replies.