• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

vietnam era question

Renegade One

None
R1, I suppose other are a lot of different ways to ID the last....date of death in country, date of declaration of death, etc.

No I did not mean youngest.
So..again…what's "the source reference" for your statement: "the last American soldier killed in the Vietnam War an 18-year old Marine"?

I'm not really pushing back against the claim…just want to know. Is that fair?

Renegade One

None
Great link.

Which says: "They are in chronological order, according to the date of casualty within each day, the names are alphabetized."

So…my only point is that there's really no way to ID "The Last Killed"…beyond "a member of the last group".

Let's just agree that they all died in the company of heroes…from the first to the last.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
R1, there are many different ways to ID 'the last (or first) one'. The last one to die in Vietnam...the last one to die as a result of combat in Vietnam...the last one to die during the Vietnam War, etc. The website above is run by the Manchus. They are the folks who list "the last American soldier killed in the Vietnam War an 18-year old Marine who was killed on May 15, 1975, two weeks after the evacuation of Saigon, in what became known as the Mayaguez incident.

BTW, in an earlier post you said: "So..again…what's "the source reference" for your statement: .....
Where was it that you asked me the first time for a "source reference"?

Renegade One

None
R1, there are many different ways to ID 'the last (or first) one'. The last one to die in Vietnam...the last one to die as a result of combat in Vietnam...the last one to die during the Vietnam War, etc. The website above is run by the Manchus. They are the folks who list "the last American soldier killed in the Vietnam War an 18-year old Marine who was killed on May 15, 1975, two weeks after the evacuation of Saigon, in what became known as the Mayaguez incident.

BTW, in an earlier post you said: "So..again…what's "the source reference" for your statement: .....
Where was it that you asked me the first time for a "source reference"?
Never mind, bro…I'll yield the point.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
When discussing the 'last to die' (depending upon different timing of circumstances), the last Naval Aviator to be shot down and become a POW, but to never return should never be forgotten.

CDR Harley Hall, former Blue Angel flight lead:
"Harley Hall was shot down on the last day of the war and was the last Navy air casualty of the Vietnam War. He was the last American to be classified Prisoner of War in the Vietnam War." Link
harleyhall.jpg
But only a week earlier and days before the end of (our) Vietnam war, we lost these two guys in an A-6 over the North. They lived in the bunkroom adjacent to ours and partied with us.
clark.pngmccormick.png

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
But only a week earlier and days before the end of (our) Vietnam war, we lost these two guys in an A-6 over the North. They lived in the bunkroom adjacent to ours and partied with us.
Tim McCormick ... we knew each other in the TRACOM 'cause we were both from 'da Territory way back when ... he went to VA-115 ... I went to another squadron/BOAT.

Remember the scene from "Flight of the Intruder" where the B/N was killed w/ a single round through the cockpit glass? That B/N was LCDR Ray Donnely ... the pilot was T.M. McCormick. It happened a few months prior to Tim & Al going down.

McCormick Hall is named for him at NAS WHIDBEY.

Tim McCormick died way too early ... he and Al were GREAT guys ... they missed an entire life.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tim McCormick ... we knew each other in the TRACOM 'cause we were both from 'da Territory way back when ... he went to VA-115 ... I went to another squadron/BOAT.

Remember the scene from "Flight of the Intruder" where the B/N was killed w/ a single round through the cockpit glass? That B/N was LCDR Ray Donnely ... the pilot was T.M. McCormick. It happened a few months prior to Tim & Al going down.

McCormick Hall is named for him at NAS WHIDBEY.

Tim McCormick died way too early ... he and Al were GREAT guys ... they missed an entire life.

Thanks. Indeed they were two great guys who were denied their later life. Although I did not know them really well, it was well enough to still bother me four decades later, still. They were our "next door neighbors" aboard the USS Midway. We were brothers who partied together. (Even though they were 'attack pukes' and we were 'fighter pukes'.)

You are correct about the scene from "Flight of the Intruder." Although actually, in real life it was a bit worse, and it affected not only McCormick, but all or us in the airwing. The gory details fortunately never made it into Coont's great book. But the point was made. It was the start of a very demanding and difficult cruise with too many losses of some of the very best guys.