• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Video of long anticipated Russian-Indian 5th Gen fighter

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Yay, someone mentioned aero-engineering!

The basic equation for lift is: L = (CL)*q*S, where CL is the finite-wing lift coefficient (determined by your alpha, NACA wing shape, and aspect ratio), q is the dynamic pressure (which is in turn equal to 0.5*rho*V^2, where rho is the air density and V is the velocity), and S is the wing planform area.

So the short student engineer answer is that a larger wing area gives you more potential lift (but also more drag). That is unsurprising though.

Thanks for this, I wasn't sure if the equation had changed or not...Fester, good luck with this one.

SkywardET

Contrarian
Thanks for this, I wasn't sure if the equation had changed or not...Fester, good luck with this one.
Well I'm not even commissioned yet, so I have no idea what is covered in the pipeline. I thought there was a good chance that this was already known, but c'est la vie.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well I'm not even commissioned yet, so I have no idea what is covered in the pipeline. I thought there was a good chance that this was already known, but c'est la vie.

You'll get your chance to strut your aero engineering "stuff" for maybe an hour or so in API. You'll likely be disappointed as it's Aero 101, but what all aviators need to know (ie What it means to be on the backside of the power curve). My class was taught by a savvy Chief who had flown Stearmans as an AVCAD, but washed out for flathatting below the tops of hotels in downtown Pensacola supposedly leaving a tire mark on the side of a building. He certainly had a sea story or two and absolutely detested Civil Servants hissing when he called them "Sand Crabs".

Flying Toaster

None
Flipping through some defense mags I noticed they had some high-res photos out of this in standard looking Russian camo. While it may not be a F-22 equivalent or super LO, for some reason unlike the J-20 this thing actually looks like it belongs in the air and potentially within a decade of being operational.

PAK-FA-T50-1-e1278798631580.jpg

PAK-FA-T50-3.jpg

PAK-FA-T50-4.jpg

20101225indiarussiapakf.jpg

file.php

PAK-FA-T50-5.jpg

935696d3fd42.jpg

NAVYBM2

Contributor
So, I read a lot about these things, and of course that makes me an expert. :)
Plus I watched a Russian special (in Russian) on how they built it.
To reduce cost, they used mostly composite materials in combination with the usual high tech metals, i.e., like the 787. So this plane is going to cost them at least 5 times less to build then our very expensive F-22. Of course, you also get what you pay for. This is a complete knock off, nose of an F-22 with some turbines of a SU-37. Without the super-cruise system, radar absorbing paint and materials, and top of the line computers, this is nothing more then a fancy looking SU-37. While that SU-37 is a good plane, it is no match for the F-22. With that being said, the Russians plan on selling the design to China, now those guys are starting to get the money and expertise to build an advance weapon like the F-22, which is what scares me in this whole situation. Anyways, these are my two cents on the subject. Oh, and perhaps we should not cancel the F-22 program, just in case they manage to get it right.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
How much experience do the Russians, or Indians, or Chinese, have with LO / 'stealth' aircraft. It's my understanding that we are the ONLY country that has built an extensive knowledge base in the field of LO. Maybe the Europeans are a distant second?

Late comer advantage is significantly less advantageous when the technologies associated are tightly kept national secrets. It's hard to believe that this jet, or the Chinese one will be able to match either the F-22 or the F-35. Maybe it will surprise all of us, but I'm skeptical either of these planes are a serious threat.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Some "talk the talk but can't walk the walk" weenis is composing his Top Gun chapter rewrite as we scoff and speculate...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, I read a lot about these things, and of course that makes me an expert. :)
Plus I watched a Russian special (in Russian) on how they built it.
To reduce cost, they used mostly composite materials in combination with the usual high tech metals, i.e., like the 787. So this plane is going to cost them at least 5 times less to build then our very expensive F-22. Of course, you also get what you pay for. This is a complete knock off, nose of an F-22 with some turbines of a SU-37. Without the super-cruise system, radar absorbing paint and materials, and top of the line computers, this is nothing more then a fancy looking SU-37. While that SU-37 is a good plane, it is no match for the F-22. With that being said, the Russians plan on selling the design to China, now those guys are starting to get the money and expertise to build an advance weapon like the F-22, which is what scares me in this whole situation. Anyways, these are my two cents on the subject. Oh, and perhaps we should not cancel the F-22 program, just in case they manage to get it right.

Your first mistake was watching a Russian program, your second was believeing it. Why on earth would the Russians sell the design to China when the Chinese have a design of their own? Not to mention the Russians are working with the Indians to make a two-seat version, if you hadn't been keeping up with the news the Indians and Chinese are not exactly friendly and consider each other long-term rivals.

The F-22 is not the only aircraft out there and is not the be all to end all.

How much experience do the Russians, or Indians, or Chinese, have with LO / 'stealth' aircraft. It's my understanding that we are the ONLY country that has built an extensive knowledge base in the field of LO. Maybe the Europeans are a distant second?

Late comer advantage is significantly less advantageous when the technologies associated are tightly kept national secrets. It's hard to believe that this jet, or the Chinese one will be able to match either the F-22 or the F-35. Maybe it will surprise all of us, but I'm skeptical either of these planes are a serious threat.

A lot of what is known about 'stealth' is out in the open so if they have the money they can certainly build a decent LO aircraft. Some of the details like materials and radar specifics are still classified but the basics are known to all. The question is whether or not they will be able to translate that knowledge into a working weapon system, the Russians have the history and experience and the Chinese have the money, I would not count either of them out.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
A lot of what is known about 'stealth' is out in the open so if they have the money they can certainly build a decent LO aircraft. Some of the details like materials and radar specifics are still classified but the basics are known to all. The question is whether or not they will be able to translate that knowledge into a working weapon system, the Russians have the history and experience and the Chinese have the money, I would not count either of them out.

I think what youre talking about it the theory behind 'stealth'? That which is known? And that certain paints and materials and shapes yield lower RADAR cross sections?

I suppose it really boils down to how big a gap is there between the basic theory that is well known, and those details. I suppose what I'm getting at is that this is the first attempt my other major powers to build a LO jet from the ground up. The US has built 3 a/c, about to start fielding a 4th, and also poured billions into R&D projects to further our understanding and base of knowledge. Its going to be hard to catch up, even with the late comer advantage.

Also Im not saying that these weapons should be completely discounted. They are certainly going to be one of the biggest air to air threats the US will encounter. Certainly more than Iraq's aging fleet was, and Afghanistan's "air force" was. That said during the budget hearing to the Senate Armed Services Committee Sec. Gates recently reported that we expect to have roughly 1,000 (I think that was the number I am referring to the early March hearings) LO a/c by the time China and Russia have roughly 50 a/c. Pretty big gap for Russia and China to make up before they are really considered a major threat.

That said you hit on something pretty important which is China having money. I would be more inclined to consider the threat of China to be financial rather than military.