• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vicki's path to flight school (a female perspective)

vicki

Er - don't even get me started on grading. I just kinda sorta figured it out today. Fams 1-4 don't count toward your NSS. All sims (excluding CPTs) count for your NSS if you checked into the squadron after 1 OCT 01. This is what blows me away. You have to meet MIF (minimum score) by the end of block. Therefore you would think if you MIF a bunch of stuff at the beginning of block (3 flights before you have to have MIF), you're doing pretty well. Not so. I had a great flight today. First flight in a new block - MIF'ed a bunch of stuff. Even got a few aboves, but I didn't MIF everything. Mathematically, even though the flight went well and my onwing was pleased, I got a seven below. Knowing that I have 49 events to get around a total of 110 above to be competative for jets (NSS of 55), I'm not feeling particulaly encouraged. I've decided that worrying about grades is not going to change them, so I'll do the best I can on each flight and just let the chips fall where they may.

vicki

I also had my eyes done one at a time, two weeks apart. I was 20/20 in my left eye in a week, but it took three weeks for my right eye to be 20/20. 9 months later at NOMI I was 20/10 in my left eye and 20/12 in my right. Eagle eye - LOL.

vicki

I haven't been on the forum for a while, so I missed the initial message that started this thread, but I gather I was the topic of discussion. I know some of you personally, some of you only from e-mails, the telephone, or this board, but I call many of you friends. It is to this group, my friends, that I am writing.

I started Primary at the end of January. The actual flying was great, but the hours leading up to each flight were filled with extreme anxiety, shaking, sweating and throwing up. My briefs were excellent, my stick skills were average, and my on-wing said I was "doing fine", but I lost 30 lbs. in six weeks, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, couldn't do anything but worry about flight training. The command recognized I had a problem and tried to help me out with counseling etc., but I got worse instead of better and continued to lose weight. I finally had to come to the agonizing realization that if I was able to complete Primary,it would come at the cost of my physical and mental health.

I am working in Aerospace Physiology now, and hope that maybe a project I'm working on will someday help one of you to complete a mission, or save your life. If that happens then I have accomplished what I couldn't as an SNA - made a valuable contribution to Naval Aviation and operational readiness.

I am proud to serve with you and best wishes to all for a successful career in Naval Aviation.

FLY NAVY!

aviatorshade

Catfish
pilot
I didn't see the original post either Mam, but I have read many of yours and have no doubt that you will continue to be a very competent officer in this country's Navy.

Semper Fidelis

Bryan

I second everything aviatorshade said and would like to thank you very much, Vicki, for the help & advice you gave me regarding the PRK waiver and the wisdom (or lack thereof) of putting NFO & SNA on the OCS application.

I'm sure you'll make an outstanding officer and wish you the best of health and happiness.

Bryan

JasonG

You have been a definate contributer to this forum with posts pertaining to alot of questions I have had in mind. And from what I can see from you in this forum is that you have a good heart and care so thanks and please keep us up to date on what's going on with you and Physiology :)

Best regards,
Jason

bassethound

Well...it looks like someone hasn't been playing nice with others. I didn't see the post that got all of this started and I am glad. However, I will say that I talked to Vicki several times about her decision to DOR and while I don't agree with it...it is her decision to make. If someone is truely hating flying then go and do something else. Now about using the UCMJ on whoever wrote it.....that is going a bit too far. This is an open forum and while harsh remarks were made, they are past. Hopefully whomever wrote this has learned thier lesson. Live and let live(I think the Beatles had a song about that). Not flying is not the end of the world. Just remember that so far all of our CNOs have had the SWO pin. Aviation is a great job and a great way to serve your country....but so is INTEL, SWO, or any other number of communities. Just all try and be forgiving and let things pass. Well, thats my two cents worth hope it helps

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Matt, and to all the others, thanks for keeping the Air Warriors Forum a place where people want to come and post comments on a professional and respectful manner. I have been away from any internet access over the last two months, and ran across this in the backlog of topics that you guys have been posting.

Thanks for the help in moderating the forum, and making it what it is.

John

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Vicki's Story

Vicki's journey from application questions to flight school experience merged to assist answering recent queries for female perspective. Vicki was very prolific in her posts from interview through Whiting and if you are looking for a female perspective, you can also go to her profile and select option to view all her posts, which reveals even more of her well written and illuminating perspectives. Although the "ending" is somewhat of a surprise, it doesn't take away her passion and motivation to aspire to wings of gold.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nicely done, heyjoe, although I think this gives you the record for "oldest thread resurrected on AW!" :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hrm. Thread ID of 1 has a title that claims it is a repost. Maybe there is older stuff in the archive? Web-san? Machine? Maybe you ought to resurrect it and sticky it, sort of like a business putting their "first dollar" up on the wall. :)

Oh, and bonus points for anyone who knows what was here before there was a forum. :D

Raptor2216

Hrm. Thread ID of 1 has a title that claims it is a repost. Maybe there is older stuff in the archive? Web-san? Machine? Maybe you ought to resurrect it and sticky it, sort of like a business putting their "first dollar" up on the wall. :)

Oh, and bonus points for anyone who knows what was here before there was a forum. :D

Wasn't it just a blog? I remember reading though some of it back around 97-98ish.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Heyjoe, wow, a trip down memory lane! Really nice job combining these posts and threads.

I guess I won't answer Nittany's question.... but when I moved the forum to vBulletin, I lost some of the very fist posts on the website. I still have the intact database from the first forum. I will look around and see if I can reconstruct over the holidays.

And, the website came online in 99.