• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vfa-86

Flembowski

I am a navy stud nearing decision time for the frs. I'm looking for any advice for ending up at Beaufort (VFA-86). Also, the latest word on how long 86 is staying in Beaufort or if there are any more Navy squadrons relocating to the base.

Short

None
Det'd there for a couple of weeks; hot as hell but the down town area has some good bars and restaurants. Guys I know who were stationed there dug it (guess few things make a Navy squadron tighter than being surrounded in yutland).

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
Here's my dumb shoe question for the day:

Why isn't VFA-86 located at Oceana?

Well, I don't know for sure, But I know after Cecil closed in the late 90's & Strike Fighter Wing Atlantic moved to Oceana that things were pretty packed in terms of space up there (I heard a rumor that's one of the reasons the idea of VFA-174 as the Rhino RAG fell thru). I'm guessing they moved VFA-82 (Who decomm'd) & VFA-86 to Beaufort instead of Oceana due to space issues.

stickygdm

pilot
Well, I don't know for sure, But I know after Cecil closed in the late 90's & Strike Fighter Wing Atlantic moved to Oceana that things were pretty packed in terms of space up there (I heard a rumor that's one of the reasons the idea of VFA-174 as the Rhino RAG fell thru). I'm guessing they moved VFA-82 (Who decomm'd) & VFA-86 to Beaufort instead of Oceana due to space issues.

That's about how I remember it. As far as wanting to go there, Flembowski, if you're at KNMM, you have a way to go before that junction. Work hard, do well where you are right now. One X at a time!

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
You will have near zero input... fleet seats filled as you finish the FRS. As you get close, you will start to hear what squadrons need nuggets, then start "just happening to be at the Oclub" when your squadron of chioce is there, and don't be tooooo gay about it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think flembowski is hoping to pull a SERGRAD seat; does that give you any leverage on post FRS assignments?

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
SERGRAD might gain you exactly .000000000001% leverage. Id venture to guess that grades in the FRS would probably be a bit better (maybe there would be a propensity for PRI A vice B, guaranteeing two cruises in one tour), but I don't remember putting in any sort of dream sheet from the FRS.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
@ wrlaw: also the Super guys either go to -122 in Lemoore, or 106 in Oceana

I read something today that mentioned that VFA-86 is being looked at to transition to F/A-18E's in the next couple of years. Not sure if that is true, but FWIW

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Why do folks want SERGRAD?

Most of the ones I've known have had families, and it is a good deal for them. Also, you generally get whatever platform you want on the backside of the SERGRAD tour, so I guess that is probably appealing too.