• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vet hiring and the civ/mil divide: in which nittany03 threadjacks a threadjack

Pags

N/A
pilot
I’m sure the work from home bit is part of that . . . I haven’t physically been to the office since probably April, and that was just to swap out my company laptop.

Of course, with all the ongoing shenanigans downtown, that’s probably not a bad thing, even if most of said shenanigans are closer to Cap Hill.
Yeah, my actual office is empty but everyone is still working.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The one exception in the Seattle area is Amazon, they are still hiring at a pretty good rate, not just in the warehouses but on the corporate side as well.
Well their burn rate is also ridiculous; last I heard average tenure was like 2 years and then poof.

exNavyOffRec

Well their burn rate is also ridiculous; last I heard average tenure was like 2 years and then poof.

They do have a pretty bad turnover, many I know stay until vested then leave, a friend of mine gave his 2 weeks the day after he became vested.

I am not a fan of Amazon, if I needed a job I would work there to provide food for the family. They do pay well, we just lost a guy from where I work to Amazon, he went from a mid level sales to lower-mid sales at Amazon but his pay nearly doubled.

What I have seen is if you can survive amazon for several years there are many companies that will look favorably at your ability to put up with that environment.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What I have seen is if you can survive amazon for several years there are many companies that will look favorably at your ability to put up with that environment.
This is like when I have someone in the reserves tell me to go to command X because “you showed you can push through the pain” or words to that effect. Why would I want to work for a company that looks favorably on my ability to make as little noise as possible while I sit in the corner pounding my nuts flat?

I mean, Amazon is big enough I’m sure there are good groups somewhere, but from what I’ve heard about their evaluations, it’s still rank-and-yank, yes?

exNavyOffRec

This is like when I have someone in the reserves tell me to go to command X because “you showed you can push through the pain” or words to that effect. Why would I want to work for a company that looks favorably on my ability to make as little noise as possible while I sit in the corner pounding my nuts flat?

I mean, Amazon is big enough I’m sure there are good groups somewhere, but from what I’ve heard about their evaluations, it’s still rank-and-yank, yes?

Your reasoning is why I haven't gone there, now I know people that have, and they have done quite well after Amazon.

I know there are some good groups and they do pay stupid money for those in white collar jobs, when job seekers were scarce they reached out to me and I talked to them, I said for me to look at this I would need at least get X amount of money per year, the recruiter without missing a step said "that wouldn't be a problem at all that is lower than our mid point"

I may get to the point I say screw it and go there for the money for a few years, but not right now.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I’ve worked in organizations where you have low benefits, work long hours, get chewed up, get told to “pay your dues” - they are stupid. Nobody there actually believes that shit, they just repeat it bc it was told to them, and they stuck around long enough to repeat it. Even the people who somehow managed to come in laterally past the shit-job dues-paying stage still perpetuate it, bc it keeps them in their status position.

My advice would be to pick what you want to do then try to get as much money as you can to do that job. If you like the work, most people will actually try to do a good job if they like what they’re doing.

The worst is when you love what you do but get underpaid, shit on, or mistreated. I know a dude in that position right now. He won’t leave bc he’s considered mission essential and he’s “afraid he’ll burn a bridge.” In reality, his office has him on a bungee cord and pushed him off the bridge already.

Pags

N/A
pilot
They do have a pretty bad turnover, many I know stay until vested then leave, a friend of mine gave his 2 weeks the day after he became vested.

I am not a fan of Amazon, if I needed a job I would work there to provide food for the family. They do pay well, we just lost a guy from where I work to Amazon, he went from a mid level sales to lower-mid sales at Amazon but his pay nearly doubled.

I've mentioned it before but I interviewed at Amazon when I got out. About half way through the FUCKING FULL DAY interview I could tell it wasn't a good fit. especially since I had just come off of "unusually arduous sea duty (no joke, was written in the orders)" I had little desire for what was essentially sea duty at home.

SELRES_AMDO

The worst is when you love what you do but get underpaid, shit on, or mistreated. I know a dude in that position right now. He won’t leave bc he’s considered mission essential and he’s “afraid he’ll burn a bridge.” In reality, his office has him on a bungee cord and pushed him off the bridge already.
One thing I learned is your work does not care about you.

I was in the same position as you friend. I loved the job but I was micromanaged and thrown under the bus constantly by shitty and inept leaders that only cared about themselves. It got to the point where I was miserable every single day. I'd look myself in the mirror every morning and just shake my head wondering how I got here. I didn't want to burn a bridge. I made all sort of stupid excuses about why I should stick it out. I finally realized that my work had already considered me expended. They would never promote me or do anything for me except work me like a dog and then complain about the quality of my product and/or throw me under the bus.

Leaving made a huge difference in my mental health.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, but when will PrimeAir be PrimeAir and not Atlas?
When it makes more financial sense for Amazon to buy a cow than to get milk at the store. Second- and third-party logistics are things for a reason.