• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Very sad - Cooper firearms

brownshoe

Contributor
About a week ago an 8 year boy in my neighborhood stuck his head in a running lawnmower his father was fixing in the garage.

I see your point. It’s not guns or lawn mower fixin.’ It’s parental control. Seriously… what do we do?

Steve

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So could an eleven year old with a pack of matches.

True. But the neighbor with a ZU-23 could take out several neighbors, the cop cars and the police helo that show up to see what was going on. ;)

Zissou

Banned
YOU NAILED IT!!!!!

Its education, safety awareness, and mature decision making.

Hell even fireworks could be safe if people realized they are God Damn explosives wrapped in paper. Every year we toss em to our kids after guzzling a few beers with the mantra "don't do anything stupid". Several of them lose fingers and have their faces ruined for life.

The BoyScouts taught me safe and respectful handling of firearms.

You can go to www.nraila.org to find tons of free material for families.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I see your point. It’s not guns or lawn mower fixin.’ It’s parental control. Seriously… what do we do?

Steve

Maybe we should pass a law making it illegal to use a gun while committing a crime. Better yet make it against the law to murder someone period. That should pretty much take care of the whole problem. :D

By the way I want me one of them ZU-23's. Sounds like fun!

brownshoe

Contributor
YOU NAILED IT!!!!!

Its education, safety awareness, and mature decision making.

Hell even fireworks could be safe if people realized they are God Damn explosives wrapped in paper. Every year we toss em to our kids after guzzling a few beers with the mantra "don't do anything stupid". Several of them lose fingers and have their faces ruined for life.

The BoyScouts taught me safe and respectful handling of firearms.

You can go to www.nraila.org to find tons of free material for families.

Wasn't sure if you were talking to me or Flash.

Steve

brownshoe

Contributor
Maybe we should pass a law making it illegal to use a gun while committing a crime. Better yet make it against the law to murder someone period. That should pretty much take care of the whole problem. :D

By the way I want me one of them ZU-23's. Sounds like fun!

Me too! Looks like fun to me.:)

Um, we tried all that shit about "using a gun while commiting a crime," not to mention that "murder" shit... never stuck though. the assholes still got off.

Steve

Flugelman

Contributor
Flash,

We could start a thread about shitpaper. Two ply or Quilted? No doubt you could find a good argument even on that subject my friend. You have a gift. :D

Z

You haven't been over on any of the RV forums... :eek: Lots of threads on what shitpaper to use in your RV's holding tanks.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Our friend Zissou invited me to join this discussion.

My father invented the Barrett Model 82 .50 caliber rifle and introduced it for sale in 1982. His motivation for designing this rifle was purely related to his hobby of shooting. Though no one realized it at the time, his invention went on to become a useful piece of equipment for our military, and allies.

I thank you and your father for your contribution, it is a valuable one.

From a practical standpoint, it has benefited our country that free people like Ronnie Barrett, with no taxpayer funding where able to take an interest in guns and later design an innovative new tool to help move us forward. This would have never happened had he been subject to restrictions on things like legal machineguns, "sniper rifles", and the like. Owning and using guns sparks creativity for design, just as a car designer has surely spent a lot of time driving many cars.

That is a logical, practical argument that is easy to understand for most..

The same argument can be made for other things, some are legal and some are not. And while I love American ingenuity as well as its original and prolific inventors, many very good firearms have come out of countries that have restrictive firearms ownerships laws.

There has been talk about the true intent of the Second Amendment. Having studied the big picture, and considering the context in which it was written, it is plainly clear to me. The men who formed our government wanted no disparity of force between those who served in government and those who are subject to their leadership and decisions. The final check and balance that protects our consitutional republic from slipping towards other less desirable forms of government.

Fast forward to today. Our society is incredibly peaceful by all standards of the world. Law abiding, respectful people own millions of guns in this country, though most of them never harm anyone. More children are injured by backyard trampolines than an irresponsibly stored firearm.

There is a drastic difference between the arms of our founding fathers and the arms that are available today. The most powerful weapons of their era were artillery, now we have a vastly more powerful arsenal that is much more destructive. Are you suggesting that the larger populace have access to these arms?

Improperly stored firearms result in many times more deaths though.

That is a hard question to ask because the possible answers are all frightening. All of the scenarios point to a sinister motive of the group that wants complete control, un-questioned obediance, and ALL of the power. Why?

That is an insinuation that I just don't buy, at least for the vast majority of people that advocate gun control in this country. I think they are just looking out for what they think is the safety of themselves and their fellow citizens. You may disagree with them, but I doubt there are ulterior motives when it comes to most of them.

I think that the argument that less guns equates to greater control over a populace is a false one anyways. Looking at the democracies that have put very restrictive rules on gun ownership, they are no less free since they have restricted guns than before, if they ever had large scale gun ownership to begin with. Is Finland mroe free than its neighbors? Or is Yemen?

If you don't understand why regualar citizens have the right to own a .50 caliber rifle, please, at least get to know some who do. You will meet some people who have a passion for their hobby, and are generally very patriotic. Many of them like Ronnie Barrett will have a great love for this country and a desire to serve those who risk everything in defense of our nation.

There are a lot of hobbies to take a passion in and some people can take them too far, from Dungeons and Dragons to guns. And being patriotic doesn't make someone right.

Again, welcome to the board, your contribution is appreciated.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Me too! Looks like fun to me.:)

Um, we tried all that shit about "using a gun while commiting a crime," not to mention that "murder" shit... never stuck though. the assholes still got off.

Steve

I'm just happy that so far I've been able to resist the urge to hurt innocent people with my evil black rifles. The more evil features the more likely I am to loose it. Simi auto, collapsible stock, pistol grip, tritium sighted, hi capacity magazine fed, weapon of mass destruction. All complete with bayonet lugs by the way. (I keep the bayonets locked up though as they are sharp and I might cut myself with them.)

One more evil feature could very well make me hurt someone. What are we missing? Oh yea a flash suppressor. That might just send me over the edge.....well that and a ZU-23.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I think that the argument that less guns equates to greater control over a populace is a false one anyways. Looking at the democracies that have put very restrictive rules on gun ownership, they are no less free since they have restricted guns than before, if they ever had large scale gun ownership to begin with. Is Finland mroe free than its neighbors? Or is Yemen?

Switzerland. You know the country with the highest percentage of gun ownership in the world....they have gun crime that is so low statistics aren't kept. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1566715.stm

I'd say that's a better model than trying to prevent people from obtaining certain firearms. Requiring that they are trained in how to use them.

Anyways if you place more restrictive laws on guns it often equates to crime elsewhere. Such as stabbings or other forms of assault. Personally I think I'd rather be shot than stabbed. But that's just me.

Gun control isn't the solution. Gun education is.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Switzerland. You know the country with the highest percentage of gun ownership in the world....they have gun crime that is so low statistics aren't kept. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1566715.stm

I'd say that's a better model than trying to prevent people from obtaining certain firearms. Requiring that they are trained in how to use them.

Something similar can be said for Finland, which has a pretty low crime rate. But there is also universal male conscription in Switzerland and Finland though, something that we don't have here and won't anytime soon. Other countries that have high gun ownership rates also have very high crime and/or murder rates, like South Africa, or are in periodic conflict, like Yemen and Iraq.

Japan also has a very low crime rate and an extremely low murder rate, but has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the world. And several other countries that have much more restrictive gun laws than here also have lower murder and gun crime rates than us, like Australia and Canada.
And Switzerland does not have the highest rate of gun ownership in the world, we do, at twice the rate too.

Data

Article

Economist Chart

Article on Finnish Gun Ownership