• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Very sad - Cooper firearms

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Machine guns aren't as regulated as one might think. If you live in a MG friendly state, have a clean record, and have the cash, you can own a legal machine gun. Buying a pistol isn't much different in some states...except for the price.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I guess you fellows have not heard of the semi-regularly occurring Dillon "Firestorm in the Desert" shoot ... ??? :)

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
2008 DNC Platfom here: http://s3.amazonaws.com/apache.3cdn.net/8a738445026d1d5f0f_bcm6b5l7a.pdf

FYI: This paragraph is what the 2008 Democratic National Platform says about firearms, in its entirety:

Firearms
We recognize that the right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition, and we
will preserve Americans’ Second Amendment right to own and use firearms. We believe that
the right to own firearms is subject to reasonable regulation, but we know that what works in
Chicago may not work in Cheyenne. We can work together to enact and enforce commonsense
laws and improvements – like closing the gun show loophole, improving our background
check system, and reinstating the assault weapons ban, so that guns do not fall into the hands of
terrorists or criminals.
Acting responsibly and with respect for differing views on this issue, we
can both protect the constitutional right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children
safe.
So there it is, the Democratic platform calls for "reinstating the assault weapons ban".

I'm going to take the Democratic Party at their word and believe that given enough time and enough seats in Congress, the people with a concrete history of restricting gun ownership will do everything possible to restrict it further.

This time, I just hope they call it the "Evil, Black-colored, Semi-automatic Gun Longer Than 9 Inches, Capable of Carrying a Flashlight and Optics" ban. You know, for transparency in government and all.

There was very little about the AWB that was commonsense.

Chris Barrett

Our friend Zissou invited me to join this discussion.

My father invented the Barrett Model 82 .50 caliber rifle and introduced it for sale in 1982. His motivation for designing this rifle was purely related to his hobby of shooting. Though no one realized it at the time, his invention went on to become a useful piece of equipment for our military, and allies.

I was born into this business and this spirit of freedom. I have been designing guns and enhancements to weapons full time since 1996 alongside my father. My motivation is exactly the same as his in 1982. We share a gift for design, and a personal interest in guns and the people who use them for honorable purposes.

On to the topic of "why should anyone own a powerful weapon"

From a practical standpoint, it has benefited our country that free people like Ronnie Barrett, with no taxpayer funding where able to take an interest in guns and later design an innovative new tool to help move us forward. This would have never happened had he been subject to restrictions on things like legal machineguns, "sniper rifles", and the like. Owning and using guns sparks creativity for design, just as a car designer has surely spent a lot of time driving many cars.

That is a logical, practical argument that is easy to understand for most.

What is far more difficult is the sociology, and or psychology that leads to one group of men disarming another group to "protect them".

There has been talk about the true intent of the Second Amendment. Having studied the big picture, and considering the context in which it was written, it is plainly clear to me. The men who formed our government wanted no disparity of force between those who served in government and those who are subject to their leadership and decisions. The final check and balance that protects our consitutional republic from slipping towards other less desirable forms of government.

Fast forward to today. Our society is incredibly peaceful by all standards of the world. Law abiding, respectful people own millions of guns in this country, though most of them never harm anyone. More children are injured by backyard trampolines than an irresponsibly stored firearm.

In some areas of our country crime is a regular occurrence. Some have actually blamed that behavior on inanimate objects, guns. That is far easier than addressing serious problems.

With all that in mind, why would those we have elected to serve, look at the law abiding peaceful group and tell them they need more restrictions on what weapons they may pocess? We know this has no affect on crime (see the results of the 10 year run of the 1994 "crime bill" that banned "assualt weapons")

That is a hard question to ask because the possible answers are all frightening. All of the scenarios point to a sinister motive of the group that wants complete control, un-questioned obediance, and ALL of the power. Why?

Why should some trustworthy citizens not be trusted with with a powerful rifle? Are they lesser humans compared to our brothers and sisters who serve in uniform?

If you don't understand why regualar citizens have the right to own a .50 caliber rifle, please, at least get to know some who do. You will meet some people who have a passion for their hobby, and are generally very patriotic. Many of them like Ronnie Barrett will have a great love for this country and a desire to serve those who risk everything in defense of our nation.

Trust those who are proven to be worthy. Punish people who actually commit crimes, not those who could commit crimes.

Zissou

Banned
For those who do not know Ronnie Barrett, Chris's father, has single handily defeated more attacks on the Second Amendment than any single American I know. It has cost his company massive revenue and brought him the ill attention of those who do not value our Basic Freedoms.

Chris and I have become good friends over the years and it was no small favor to ask him to come over here and comment. Being the face of the Barrett 50 makes him and everything he says easy fodder for those who care to wage war against the Second Amendment.

I asked him to be as candid as possible as I respect the members of this internet board very much. We all have a vested interest in the future of America and the freedoms many of us here have fought and will fight to defend.

Chris, Thank you for posting. See you at my
going away party Jan 16th!

Flugelman

Contributor
For those who do not know Ronnie Barrett, Chris's father, has single handily defeated more attacks on the Second Amendment than any single American I know. It has cost his company massive revenue and brought him the ill attention of those who do not value our Basic Freedoms.

Chris and I have become good friends over the years and it was no small favor to ask him to come over here and comment. Being the face of the Barrett 50 makes him and everything he says easy fodder for those who care to wage war against the Second Amendment.

I asked him to be as candid as possible as I respect the members of this internet board very much. We all have a vested interest in the future of America and the freedoms many of us here have fought and will fight to defend.

Chris, Thank you for posting. See you at my
going away party Jan 16th!

+1 Great addition to our board. I watched the .50 Cal matches out at Raton a couple of years ago. Those guns are phenomenal! 1000 yard groups sub moa. :eek:

Pugs

Back from the range
None
LOL! Raton NM! What a beautiful, shithole!

Hey, they have a Sonic drive in now! :D

Was out there last April shooting hi-power silhouette with some buds. Pretty country but you have to bring your own fun.

GroundPounder

LOL! Raton NM! What a beautiful, shithole!

If you're talking about the town south of the Pinion Canyon Maneuver Site, that about sums it up. Being in the area when they get their entire years worth of rain in 30 minutes makes it that much more fun.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There has not been a criminal act with a legally owned machine gun since the inception of the National Firearms Act of 1934 so why do you give a damn if your neighbor owns one?

That ain't a machine gun, it is a friggin AAA cannon!

He could destroy my house?

You remind me of a fellow ECMO, Biscuit, a well educated guy from Boston with no mental connection to how the rest of the country lives and works. He was a completely hopeless liberal and thought we should all be like him. (decent ECMO though)

I don't think I am so disconnected, even among my gun enthusiast friends and family are split on the margins of 'gun control', including whether or not something like a .50 cal sniper rifle should be regulated.

I would not want everyone to be like me, then I would not be so special and have no one to argue with!

brownshoe

Contributor
I’ve nothing against owning weapons, I own many myself and enjoy shooting very much. (I used to shoot trap in registered matches.) When I bring my guns home, they are broken down, cleaned, then put away. The ammo is stored in a separate location. Believe me, my firearms are safely stored. I’m all for a person being able to purchase a gun.

However, when a neighbor’s child comes into my home, there is no way that child would be able to assemble a weapon I own, not to mention load the thing! I just worry about choices stupid people make!

Gun control…. Well, I’m on the fence. I know you’ve all heard this:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hl-VtQImXVuBfNXTpNMvOgFOxj2wD94375AO0

Steve

Zissou

Banned
I would not want everyone to be like me, then I would not be so special and have no one to argue with!

Flash,

We could start a thread about shitpaper. Two ply or Quilted? No doubt you could find a good argument even on that subject my friend. You have a gift. :D

Z