• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Very sad - Cooper firearms

Pugs

Back from the range
None
All,

I was shocked and appalled to find Dan Cooper of Cooper firearms endorsing Obama. I have two of his rifles, a M22 Phoenix in .308 and a new Classic in .22LR. Haven't even scoped the .22 yet. Those will be my last.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-10-27-prez-money_N.htm

Like the Dixie Chicks, Jim Zumbo and others he will find that we all have the right to speak out in what we believe but this is simply throwing sand in the face of your products demographic. I feel sorry for his employees.

lmnop

Like the Dixie Chicks, Jim Zumbo and others he will find that we all have the right to speak out in what we believe but this is simply throwing sand in the face of your products demographic. I feel sorry for his employees.
Ok, I'll bite. What demographic would that be...hunters? People who buy high end bolt guns? Montanans? I may be missing something, but I don't see how contributing to one of two candidates running for office under a two party system is akin to the Dixie Chicks' statements or 'throwing sand'.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
With all due respect, another citizen has a political viewpoint different than yours (for whatever reason) and so you feel the need to cut ties with them all together?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
that's the beauty of the system. it's his prerogative to take his business where he pleases, and if a business owner decides to express political views, he can expect people to disagree with him and take their business elsewhere if it means that much to them.

Redux

Yup, it's also his prerogative to shoot himself in the foot or possibly have his weapons on the Obama hit list. I wished I were a snake oil salesman in his neck of the woods, Id own a large chunk of Cooper by now.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
With all due respect, another citizen has a political viewpoint different than yours (for whatever reason) and so you feel the need to cut ties with them all together?

Yes. I have lots of other options for a high end rifles. It's my money and I'll spend it as I want. Just like I won't buy another Dixie Chicks song (OK, I'll have to admit I never did in the first place but still). He believes in what Obama is selling and Obama has a documented track record against his industry and one I support. With his actions he has come out in support of Senator Obama, who I believe will have a significant impact on my 2nd amendment rights should he become president through his appointment of Supreme Court justices that will decide what the Constitution means. You that don't believe so, watch and learn.

Virtually the only thing I can do to show people the consequences of their action is to vote with my wallet and I am going to do so.

Actions have consequences.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I agree with Pugs OP. While Cooper can make whatever campaign contributions he wants, it is likely that endorsing Obama is counterproductive to his business.

Maybe his personal beliefs about what ever it is that encouraged him to vote for Obama out weigh the risk his business takes if Obama is elected, but thats a personal decision. It would still seem that he is working against his own interestes however as a gun manufacturer endorsing a candidate who may start another round of gun grabbing.

red_ryder

None
It's genius. With gunsmiths lobbying for Obama, he'll be a lot more likely to overlook them during his administration. Think of the big picture. :D

Bevo16

pilot
I think that the big picture is a ban on semi-automatic rifles.

What kind of impact would that have on Cooper's market share?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I think that the big picture is a ban on semi-automatic rifles.

What kind of impact would that have on Cooper's market share?

How about when they decide to ban those hi-powered sniper rifles?

Those in fact, are his business. Cooper builds high quality single shot rifles for the most part. They only introduced a center-fire repeater this year.

How about when they introduce more taxes on ammunition and components?

All of these things have been proposed by various Democrats at State and Local level and would have a very real affect.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
How about when they decide to ban those hi-powered sniper rifles? Those in fact, are his business....All of these things have been proposed by various Democrats at State and Local level and would have a very real affect.
This is true ... and those of you who aren't involved "in the fight" either in the past or currently from a legislative standpoint (and I am) -- just simply don't know what you're talking about ... as bolt guns & their associated common hunting ammunition now a.k.a. "sniper ammo" are becoming the new "plastic guns" and "cop-killer bullets" in the next round of anti-gun hysteria on a policy/political level.

Kissing up to the opposition and hoping they will leave you "alone" is never a "winning" strategy. You move a little toward "their" position and they NEVER move toward yours ... as they will take everything they can get from you and spit in your face come election time. This is not supposition -- this is experience, and first hand, to boot. And we are talkin' firearms & the 2nd here ... our basic rights ... not land use questions and storm water runoff.

Smith & Wesson tried this a few years ago -- kissing up -- and it didn't work. They lost a HUGE portion of their customer base and have just been getting it back over the past few years when ownership returned to American hands.

Ruger flirted w/ the same thoughts a little more than a decade back -- it didn't work for them, either.

Zumbo -- I don't know WHAT he was thinking, as AR's are now front & center @ the Nationals at Camp Perry
(and they were when he made his stupid comments) . They ARE the standard on the firing line in these post .30-06/7.62mm NATO days ...

Oh yeah, Zumbo lost his editorial position w/ Outdoor Life and lost his TV program on the Outdoor Channel.

It's a free country, but like Pugs said: actions have consequenses.

Zissou

Banned
Do not fret Airwarriors. The repercussions of treason were hard and fast:

"In response to the recent article highlighting Dan Cooper’s personal political donations, the board of directors, shareholders and employees of Cooper Firearms of Montana, Inc would like to issue the following statement.

The employees, shareholders and board of directors of Cooper Firearms of Montana do not share the personal political views of Dan Cooper.

Although we all believe everyone has a right to vote and donate as they see fit, it has become apparent that the fallout may affect more than just Mr. Cooper. It may also affect the employees and the shareholders of Cooper Firearms.

The board of directors has asked Mr. Cooper to resign as President of Cooper Firearms of Montana, Inc.

Daily operations will continue with the competent staff currently in place in Stevensville, MT producing the finest, most accurate rifles money can buy.

Dan Cooper has spent all of his working life producing the highest quality rifles built here in the USA. He started with nothing but the American Dream and built that into firearms company anyone would be proud of. We firmly believe Dan stands by the 2nd amendment.
We wish him all of the best in his future pursuits."

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
i don't know how i feel about a guy getting the shaft from a company with his name on it for speaking his mind, but i guess it's not very fair for the shareholders and employees to have to pay for the backlash from him airing his political thoughts.

everything has its consequences.