• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

very respectfully

BourneID

pilot
I have been known as the Grandmaster G.

RESCEPT.

Thread-Direction.jpg

You have officially been JACKED.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yes, sir. My fault, I should have expanded my question for clarity.

Would it be better to write out 'respectfully' or leave a V/R and be done with it?

I've always left 'Regards', but I see the merits in the usage of ""V/R" or any expansion thereof.

I think the answer to your question hasn't fully been answered, if I'm understanding correctly. "V/R" or "R," is for things like emails or notes/messages. The spelled out version is for actual letters or documents. Signing an actual letter (be it a request for a qual or whatever) "V/R" is like putting "Im 2 leg!t" in the body of the text.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Many things have changed since the days of fighting sail, and this may be one of them, but I can remember several instances where Paul Jones signed a letter /r or V/r.

Like I said, things may have changed.

dustydog

pilot
If you really want to get into the weeds, Google the Navy Correspondence Manual. Vr is never used for official correspondence. It's more of an informal closing, in fact it isn't even mentioned in the Manual. I think, but don't take this as gospel, it is mentioned in OPNAVINST 1710.XX, the Protocol manual.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Many things have changed since the days of fighting sail, and this may be one of them, but I can remember several instances where Paul Jones signed a letter /r or V/r.

Do you mean John Paul Jones?
print.gif

How old are you...230 or so?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you really want to get into the weeds, Google the Navy Correspondence Manual. Vr is never used for official correspondence. It's more of an informal closing, in fact it isn't even mentioned in the Manual. I think, but don't take this as gospel, it is mentioned in OPNAVINST 1710.XX, the Protocol manual.

Maybe not, but its the vernacular of Navy email speak @ least.

statesman

pilot
Do you mean John Paul Jones?
print.gif

How old are you...230 or so?

Yeah... John Paul Jones works... his real name was Paul Jones, he added John when he got into some trouble down in the Dutch East Indies and emigrated to VA.

I'm 24, but a history major.

statesman

pilot
And according to your bio, you are MIDN. In this man's Navy, his f'in name is John Paul Jones.

And you'll have no argument from me... I'm simply saying that J. Paul Jones often signed letters "r, Paul Jones", and that S. E. Morrison, a highly respected Naval historian refers to him almost exclusively as "Paul Jones"

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
And you'll have no argument from me... I'm simply saying that J. Paul Jones often signed letters "r, Paul Jones", and that S. E. Morrison, a highly respected Naval historian refers to him almost exclusively as "Paul Jones"

Oh, I am glad you mentioned S.E. Morrison was a highly respected Naval historian, I almost forgot. ;)

Hey, no worries about JPJ, I'm just bustin' your chops. :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

Well, you certainly have a point, especially when one considers Minister Farrakhan's birth name is Louis Eugene Walcott .... :)

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I was told by my CO when I was in ROTC that if "Very" is used, then "Respectfully" changes to "respectfully." It looks more natural to me, especially when written out.

Very respectfully,
Beans