• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Very minor Scoliosis/Nasal Septum Deviation

niner61

AimingHigh
First off, I would like to say thank you to all of the members of this forum. It's difficult to find this first-hand information else where.

Now to the problems.
1-I have very minor scoliosis, I believe 4 degrees in the the lower and 8 degrees in the lumbar. I am 19 years old and applying for the College Program at UC Berkeley(but attending Cal Maritime). I plan on graduating at age 23. I read the guide and it said anything that produces extreme discomfort and limits the wearing of a military uniform is a DQ. While I don't feel pain, I do feel some discomfort sometimes. This does not limit any type of physical ability. I workout normally, and does not interfere with any activities. I plan on starting scoliosis specific exercises to strengthen the muscles around my spine.

2-As a kid I was reaaaallly stupid and careless, I believe I have broken my nose once and hurt it a few more times(impacts). Sometimes, my right nostril will close up and only left is working, sometimes it's opposite and sometimes they're both clear. The doctor said I have "Nasal Septum Deviation", which I cannot find anything in the NAMI guide relating to this. Once again, this, in NO WAY, limits any type of physical abilities. I can do cardio with no problem, and have no difficulty breathing.

My question is, will this DQ me from a flight slot? Will this make it difficult to be selected for SNA or NFO?

Thank you for your time.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I think you will be fine. You should consider having an ENT doc take a close look...maybe consider surgery. Any ENT related illnesses (allergy, URI, cold, flu, etc.) will be worse.

Easy recovery from the surgery and you get free coke.

niner61

AimingHigh
Well I have talked to me doctor, and he mentioned surgery but it didn't seem he thought it was a viable option.

And with scoliosis, I have heard that with the G forces, it's going to put to put extreme staring on my spine, therefore the doc DQing me?

These are the two things that worry me the most.

-Thank you for your time.

MasterBates

I have 17-18 degrees total angle (cobb angle?) In my back. I fly. I have flown most everything. Full range of motion and no pain is the key.

It's up to you to define pain. Unless I'm screaming, I'm not in pain. You get me on that?

Sent via my HTC EVO 4G

niner61

AimingHigh
Reading that makes me feel alllllot better. Like I said, I feel some discomfort and minor pain(what I say here, stays here *wink*). Any suggestions on what to do, maybe some bak strenghtening exercises?

Thank you.