• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

!!!VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

I Have'nt posted in awhile, but I have some really important news and it's not scuttlebutt. I'm a GenAV officer onboard the JFK. A new message just came down which states, that all OCS grads, who are attrited from flight school, or any aother warfare designator, will be involutarily separated from the military. However, if you are an attrite from a warfare community on PCS orders to a ship, you still have the option to redes, or separate from the military, however, you must serve at least a year at your PCS duty station.

The new policy does not affect NROTC,BDCP,or Seaman to Admiral. Again I'm not trying to scare anyone, nor is it a rumor I saw this policy this morning, and now I'm trying to decide if I want to resdes, or transfer to another service.

Stephen J. Hall

Stephen

It means you're being put out of the military. As far as I know it only affects the navy. The reason being is that all of the carriers, have more than enough GENAV officers. GENAV or General Aviation is where they assign navy officers who attrite or are NPQ'd from flight training. Essentially you're assigned to a carrier and you don't have warfare desigator, Which would be the Corps version of an MOS.

Again I feel sorry for the guys in the flight program now. It was stressful enough when I went through now those guys have to deal with that
shake_125.gif

Stephen J. Hall

akeys

I am selected to attend OCS in July of 2003 as an SNA. In your opinion, what is the best way for a person to prepair for the challanges of the flight program? Keeping in mind that I have to successfully complete OCS first.

thartley

Learn how to study a lot of information in a short amount of time. Also, be able to network among your peers for any gouge floating around the squadrons.

Stephen

Tank, Thartley is absolutely right. In API the feed you a whole lot of information very quickly. The information is not that difficult, however, you must be able to learn it quickly enough to pass the test and move on to the next subject. There is a lot of gouge out there, sometimes I thought that there was too much gouge. And it was a chore just trying to sort through it to find the good gouge.

Also find about two other people and form a study goup any more than that I believe will just degrade into social thing and you won't get much studying done. Also, they have a lot of resources availiable at NASC P-Cola, and the other training commands. Another thing that would be a big help is I don't know if the Navy still has the program, they suspended it before I left P-Cola was IFS (Introductionary Flight Screening) this program allows SNA's the oppurtunity to get up to 25hrs of civillian flight time before staring API, you're provided everything you need. Again I don't know if it is still suspended.

Also, after you graduate OCS once you check into student control you'll be able to get all your books for class. So you can get a jump on skimming through them before you class up. And another thing try to work on your test taking skills, all the API tests are multple choice,and they are designed to be difficult, and somtimes your choices of answers are so close together it is easy to second guess yourself of just go for the first asnwer you see. So remember RTFQS ( Read The F@#$%#G Question Stupid!) It will save you from kicking yourself in the ass later.

But more importantly, enjoy yourself before you start the prgram go out to the beach,movies or whatever to have fun. And just remeber plan for sucess and not failure, but also ask yourself this qeustion also, If I don't make it through, God's will, you should make it through without any problems. BUt if you don't waht next, always have backup plan, and remember that you gave it your best shot.

Stephen J. Hall

jaerose

Stephen,

Where there any particular books, or study skills courses that you used that you found helpful? I am good at assimilating information quickly, but I feel that I could definitely use some tweaking in the study skills area. How did you do in API? Also, in API, Primary and Advanced (if you're that far) about how many hours per weeknight did you designate for studying? How about on the weekends? Thanks for the help. I hit OCS in 8/03...so I'm trying to get a jump on the situation.

JR

Stephen

I did'nt make it through API, I gave it my best shot but eventually it came down to one thing it required more time than I was willng to give. It was starting to stress my marriage, I would study my but off, my wife told me once during training "that even when I'm home I'm not at home". Damn! It's not an easy program if it was everyone would pilots, however, a lot of people do make it to become pilots too. So it is doable.

When I attrited rom the program I felt bad at first, but one day I was walking to my car feeling sorry for myself, when a couple of petty officers, approached me, and you know what they did....? They SALUTED Me! After all I'm still a Navy Officer everything else is just icing on the cake.

You may be thinking how in the Hell can this guy tell me anything when he did'nt make it through. Well when it comes down to it the material itself is pretty easy I just could'nt learn as fast as they wanted me to learn it. And I really did'nt utilize a study grioup the way I shoul've.

As far as many hours for study , On the weekends the instructers said 8-10hrs a day on the weekend, and I think 4-5hrs a night during the week. Did I study 10hrs a day on the weekend? take a guess. I did put in 4hrs a night during the week.

Also, something you could do is when you start API go see Dr."Somebody" I'm sorry I can't remember his name right now but you'll find his office in the API building, It's right next to the stairway across from the qtrdeck. Go to his office, and get a couple of scantrons, then go to navygouge.com and download some of the old practice tests, and give yourself some mock exams under test conditions. However, go back to the book and check some of the answers, beacuse I did find some wrong ones. This method really helped me with AreoI&II.

Utilize the study center in tha API building, I spent the majority of my time there. The slides that the instructers use for class, are the same slides on the computers. So that is another resource. However, focus on getting through OCS first and get what REALLY matters, Becominmig an OFFICER. CAN I GET A AMEN!!!

Stephen J. Hall

jaerose

Pap, what are you flying in Primary and where are you located? All the work is worth it though, right?

JR

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Stephen and Pap, hit it right on. Motivation and finding a good study routine (whether it is study group, a stack of flash cards, etc.) are the keys to success going through API. Is the material all that difficult, no, it isn't. The degree you have is not going to help or hinder you, even in the case of Aero Engineering degrees, they were told to "forget" all the other stuff they learned and take Aero 1 and 2 from the stance that it was a "basic/intro" class. It all boils down to the "firehose effect", as you have heard many times, the material is coming at such a quick rate, and you are held accountable, through the tests, of knowing that material cold. It is all done to see who can prioritize as Stephen mentioned, and buckle down and study those 4-5 hours a night, then study sessions on the weekend. My family basically "gave up" on me, and went on vacation to visit other family and friends while I went through API. I personally never "really" had to study hard in college, CIS major, the occasional crash study session, or late night programming, but nothing sustained. So, here you are in API having to make new study habits, it is quite the shock.

As Pap mentioned, the process doesn't end, you go through API, thankfully you get a break between then and Primary, but it starts all over again in Primary, but this time you memorizing systems, course rules, emergency procedures, power sources for gauges and instruments, radio calls, preflight items, and the list goes on and on. Each item builds on the next, and you will go over it many times in tests, briefs with your Onwing, and in the plane. There is ZERO opportunity to gloss anything over, you either know it or you don't. Granted you can miss stuff, or not have a complete grasp of something, and they will teach it to you, but there are certain things that you just HAVE to know, from the emergency procedures to course rules that will get your butt handed to you if you don't "regurgitate" them.

Here I am, more than two years from my Winging, and I am still studying my butt off. It just doesn't stop. Nowhere near the intensity of ground school and primary, but there is always something you need to be studying. Whether it is your quarterly NATOPS open and closed test, yearly instrument ground school, yearly instrument and NATOPS check flight, pilot upgrading syllabus flights, PQS, studying tactics and weapons, etc.... All while handling a ground job.

Sounds pretty ****ty, doesn't it? Well, I will tell you, that flying is one of the most amazing jobs you could ever have, and all the pain and overcoming hurdles is worth every hour of pain studying to get where you want to go.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nicely Put!! Bravo. I could not have put it any better. I went through college and did not have to study too much to get the grades (CS degree). But API and Flight School was a different bag 'o nuts. I had to study my A** off in order to get though API. It seemed to me that Primary through Advanced got a bit easier(SNFO Pipeline) and it was more practical stuff rather than being tested formally. And yes, I thought when I had my wings it was over (the studying), but NO, you have to study all the time to remain current in the job and to stay competitive. So don't think it's all glory and no pain. It's a bit of both...but the rewards are great. And you should have some fun doing it or else you are in the wrong profession. Good luck!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.