• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Very good question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Integer

Banned
Something just occurred to me. I took some Math and English test spontaneously a couple of years ago when I was visiting a friend's recruiter. Though I wasn't prepared to take it, I did so anyway. Does the USNA look at that? I'm not sure if it was the ASVAB per se, but it was some computer test that was supposed to predict your ASVAB score as far as I can remember, and it had asked for my name and social security number. I didn't pace myself and did terrible on the Math (running out of time after completing only half of the Mathematics word problems), when I should have had 100% of the questions correct. Should I retake that test/take the ASVAB, or should I not worry about it? (My Math SAT score is very good, as I've learned to pace myself on those kinds of tests since then.)

Thanks!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Pre-Appointee to the Class of 2009"

Is that even an actual ..... thing?

Sorry I've been drinking and I'm bored.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I wouldn't worry about it. It's not as though there is some master database of everything you do. Unless it's part of the application package or a required doc such as SATs, transcripts, etc, they probably will never see it. "Well, his math SAT was 680, but this recruiter quiz says he sucks at math..." Not going to happen.

manny7_99

I would expect a "smarter" question from a pre-appointee. Oh well, I guess the Navy is lowering its standards.

Lonestar155

is good to go
Sounds like it was a sample test just to see how you would perform on the actual test. If i remember correctly it must have been the easiest test i have ever taken. No trick questions or things like that, just simple addition and subtraction. Although you did say something about a social security number??? i dont know what that is about.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
manny7_99 said:
I would expect a "smarter" question from a pre-appointee. Oh well, I guess the Navy is lowering its standards.

Considering a pre-appointee is someone that is applying, that means the Navy hasn't even accepted him yet. Therefore, how can the Navy have lowered their standards? Hmmmmmm?

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
As far as I know, the only standardized tests the admissions board will see are SAT or ACT math scores, SAT II scores, and AP Calculus/Statistics scores.

Integer

Banned
I was going to say the same thing, Fly Navy. :) That was funny :) On another note, Manny is the guy who also said:

Interesting Scenario, if you don't mind could you guys tell me what nuke program is all about and what would I need to get in? Thank you!

And a midshipmen told him that he, with such little initiative, shouldn't worry about the Nuke program, because Nukes work their butts off and it's not as simple as becoming a Nuke and instantly getting accepted to the USNA. :)

Lonestar, that test was easy. However, I was taking Calculus II at the time, which is about 8 courses AFTER the arithmetic background the test sought. When you get that far in math, and you see really easy questions, you start over-analyzing each word problem because they seem confusing for what they are asking, making you think you are not understanding what they want. That's what happened with me. However, when I took the SAT, I paced myself and finished every question for an almost perfect Math score. I've also had a perfect score on a large-scale math test for high school students. (That's probably why I spent so much time on the recruiter's test--I knew I should have a perfect score so I double checked each answer for every problem... bad idea :) )

The test was a Windows application. The program had a white background. I shouldn't worry about it, from what it sounds like. I didn't do that bad, but I should have had 100% and what I got was not 100%.

Doesn't the USNA check each applicant's military attributes, if any, by the applicant's social security number? I mean, they gotta find one reason or another to cut 13,500 people by June :eek: That's Admissions' job :)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, well Pre-Appointee is still a wishful thinking, self-given title. Congratulations.

Integer

Banned
Thanks! :) I am happy to be at the stage of pre-appointee. Better than being older than 22, or non-citizen, or having some other non-qualifying condition.

A year ago, I knew two things. The first thing I knew was that I would apply for the Class of 2008, improve a lot through the year, and receive a rejection letter.

The second thing I knew, even back then, is that I would re-apply and receive an appointment the second time around. (Why did I apply the first time if I knew I wouldn't get in? For the experience to use the second time around.)

Well, guess what? Just like I thought, I did not earn an appointment the first time around. So far, everything is going to plan! Now, step 2 is coming up.

Also, not only will I receive an appointment and graduate from USNA, I will also play in a Navy Football game in some fashion before I graduate, having had no experience playing football before, except in gym class.

The only way that I would NOT be on the Football team my senior year at the USNA after I receive an appointment, is if I am recruited for another sport, in which case I would do that sport for four years.

If by freak chance, I do not earn an appointment for the Class of 2009, I will just have to become a legend on the kind of Candidate they passed up. ;)

By the way, if any of this sounds satirical--it is meant to be. However, visualising yourself completing your goals is the #1 most powerful thing that you have to be able to do if you want to succeed at anything in your life. If you shy away from seeing yourself in third-person reaching your goal, then you will never, ever, ever, ever, ever meet that goal. Also, visualising your goal makes it CONCRETE. Makes it real and attainable, because you saw it! All you have to do is place attention, throughout the day, to things that put you closer to it. But the most important thing is to know where you are going, and that's what goals are all about.

I'm sure that all midshipmen have had the same thought process I have went through. Does thinking equate achieving? No. But goals are useless without the thinking (visualising, etc.) part, just like they are useless without the 'working towards them' part.

I'm also sure that they have shared their goals and feelings with others. I share my feelings about the Academy with very few people besides those who use this board. Admittedly, sometimes, what I say sounds wacky, but I really VALUE ALL INPUT from you guys and girls, so I therefore say a couple of things here and there to make the doubters reply, to give me more confidence. Also, your input helps me find flaws in my plans that I could then improve.

I apologize for rushing the writing I do when I post here.
Thanks!

manny7_99

It is interesting how some people can say somebody has a "lack of initiative" when they ask a question; That by itself shows initiative I think, oh well. Also, interesting how some people can judge with no real facts but based on assumptions. I wonder what type of leaders they'll make. About the Navy lowering standards that was a joke, gee. An about Mr. Integer is nothing personal, is just that the title is a bit weird if you ask me. Good Luck on your admissions process bro'

Manny7_99
Pre- Mr. Universe 2008
pre- recipient of the medal of honor

Oh, BTW! The test you took means nothing integer. It is used only to tell the recruiter what your "potential" is in case you enlist and to give him an idea on what options he may offer you for enlistment. Hope it helps

They look at AP Calc tests?! Dammit, I would've wasted the $70 taken it then. I thought they were like additional LORs (helpful, but not really worth the time ;)).

Status
Not open for further replies.