• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Very confused.

MasterHaynes86

.....but I have never met a really motivated Marine officer who failed to capitalize Marine.

I did this for a few posts on here until i realized my transgressions... I'm not sure I've left "Marine" uncapitalized since.

Some people are just that way. Either way, Semper Fi

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
....so I picked up an air slot just before going to TBS. and BTW, i'm really not trying to talk tough. i think most marine officers really believe they are a marine officer first. at least i do......
Fair enough. In my view from the outside, I'd say this is true for almost all prior enlisted Marines who became Marine Officers. And I will agree anyone selected for a Marine officer program or anyone serving as a Marine officer will say this is true. It's part of the culture and if they said anything different....well life would be hard for them in the Marines.

But, I knew quite a few Marines during my time in the Navy and now know quite a few retired Marines flying for the airlines. When alone and away from other Marines, many of these guys would admit they went Marines for the flight slot and would have taken any branch for a flight slot. This is even more true with the retired guys.

You can also get a feel for this on this site. The tone / rhetoric changes from when someone is looking for information about getting a flying slot in either the Marines or Navy and after they get a Marine contract.

But I'll also admit it takes a certain type of personality to be a Marine and many who would have taken a flight slot in another service over a ground slot in the Marines probably would still have chosen the Marines if they had multiple flight offers.

Also, I am generalizing about Marine pilots & NFOs. I understand the ground guys are all there because they only wanted the Marines.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
For all - my comments are not directed at the whole officer first, aviator second ideal. That is true for any service and in my opinion, a given.

My argument is over saying to someone don't look at the Marines unless they only want to be a Marine officer or want to be a Marine officer over all other branch. Or telling them to not even look at being a Marine officer unless you are willing to accept any specialty.

However once you accept the Marine contract, then it is time to adapt the Marine culture or fail miserably.

MasterHaynes86

What HAL said, just saving scolling space

I origially just wanted to fly in the military. I missed th AF academy by a few SAT points. I thought it sucked

I met a Marine Corps Officer and stuff changed. How he carried himself was very different than any other service. Then I raked in the Air Contract thinking "hell yea." Thinking that is what it would be about, and then I went to OCS and met a bajillion other officers and some hardcore Enlisted Marines. This kick in the nuts changed my view of my contract.

I'm not sure how the cadence goes for the run but its something like this. "Dont ask why, Semper Fi, do or die. OORAH"

I would like to think all USMC pilots consider themselves a "Leader of Marines" first and a pilot second.

once again, to avoid threadjack.... Contact an OSO and become a motivated thorn in his side (a good one). You can't go wrong if you want it bad enough. Dont make excuses for failing to reach goals and standards. If you want it, you can get it. I'm not the perfect student either, but look at me now... PLC Srs this summer and a flight physical sometime afterwards.

Also remember, when you take your picture for the packet, your not buff, so tuck your elbows in... lol... anyone that has been to OCS and bootcamp (id think) understands it.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
imaginary lats anyone?

I think that while at Marine OCS, you drink a lot of the kool aid. They treat you like $hit for being an air contract and say you're worthless, blah blah blah....I know a lot of candidates who dropped because they felt like "they were there for the wrong reasons". I remember coming home from OCS thinking about how awesome a ground job would be...couldnt wait for TBS..."hey, can air contracts go to IOC while waiting for API?" (ok just kidding on that one...) then a few weeks after that I started losing my desire to run around playing GI Joe and wanted to be a pilot again. I definately want to be a Marine officer first, but I will admit that that place changes your views on things slightly.

To the origional poster - if you cant get into NROTC or whatever, you can still do the PLC or OCC program and get your air contract. Trust me, you'll get your fill of running around in uniforms and drilling with or without rotc. Good luck with what you decide.