• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VertRep Job

aircav06

None
Vertical Rep Pilot POSTED: Oct 20 .details td { font-size:8pt; } Salary:Open Location:Aboard MSC Shipping (Pacific), United StatesEmployer:Blackwater (Presidential Airways) Type:Full Time - Senior LevelArea of Concentration: Category:Aviation
Description Salary Range: Negotiable based on flight quals
Job_Description: We are screening resumes of former military Helo Pilots for contracted positions aboard MSC shipping. Mission is at sea daylight vertical replenishments. Prefer former Naval Aviators with cruise experience. Work schedule is two months out, one back. Will provide transition training for aircraft. Contact Dan Shaver at Blackwater. From Chuck Rushworth at Blackwater USA.
Required_Experience: Current FAA Class 2 Medical and FAA commercial rotary wing instrument ticket, 3500 hours in rotary wing aircraft. Required_Education: Bachelors Degree desired

Requirements Send cover letter and résumé to:
Dan Shaver
Blackwater

E-mail: dshaver@blackwaterusa.com

xmid

pilot
Contributor
They're looking for 3500 hours? Wouldnt that mean probably an 0-4/0-5? They must be willing to pay quite a bit, of course it IS Blackwater.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
2 months out, 1 month in. That is a good deal, especially some of the ports the ships that use those helos go to, when I was with MSC we spent a good amount of time in port.

Those guys are pros too, although I was not too fond of the Puma's exhaust location.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I wonder what kind of equipment / aircraft Blackwater will field. Obviously they won an MSC contract similiar to what GEO-SEIS had with their SA-330 Puma's.

Blackwater had acquired surplus UH-3H's earlier in the year but the rumor was these would be used for PMC in/out of the Green Zone to Bagdad Airpt.

Hmmm.. Me wonders...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, I don't get the 3500 hours bit. I know Army WO are capable, but if they're preferring Naval Aviators, then 3500 hours is going to be a senior O-4 or O-5, which isn't exactly the kind of people that can/are willing to take that job, especially if the salary isn't competitive.

phrogpilot73

Yeah, I don't get the 3500 hours bit. I know Army WO are capable, but if they're preferring Naval Aviators, then 3500 hours is going to be a senior O-4 or O-5, which isn't exactly the kind of people that can/are willing to take that job, especially if the salary isn't competitive.
I talked to one of the Geo-Seis pilots. He was a former USMC Phrog guy turned Coastie turned civlian pilot...

ChuckMK23

pilot

You have to be kidding. Since when is 3500 hours in the 0-4/O-5 realm?

That should be normal for a post first shour tour guy at VT/HT or FRS...

I left active duty with around well over 3500+ as an O-3 leaving HT's.

Is it that bad now?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You have to be kidding. Since when is 3500 hours in the 0-4/O-5 realm?

That should be normal for a post first shour tour guy at VT/HT or FRS...

I left active duty with around well over 3500+ as an O-3 leaving HT's.

Is it that bad now?

I'm sure everyone's milage will vary, but here's what I'm basing it on...

An AVERAGE VT IP can get around 600-800 hours a year, so figure if an AVERAGE guy coming from the fleet has 1200 total, that's about 3000 total. Since the job description cites 3500 rotary, it makes it that much harder for non-HT/RAG guys. I don't know what the average HT IP gets now, but obviously he/she will have an easier time hitting that wicket. Throw in an IA and...you get the picture.

I also had an OIC who was a RAG IP and was a big time flyer. He also did a super-JO tour (WTI) instead of a boat tour. He passed 3K while on his DH deployment. He was probably an O-4 for about 2 years or so at that point.

With first fleet tours having less time to fly, I'd guess 3500 is a little high for an average second tour guy. Again, I'm sure there are exceptions.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

FWIW, I know Boeing drastically/unrealistically over-inflates the "requirements" section in job listings for people in my community. I think they're just trying to weed out the timid. For one particular listing, we figured out that there were only 4-5 people in the Navy that met their list of requirements. Apply and hope for the best.

Brett

bobbybrock

None
3500 hours in the Army is still a lot. I'll leave the service with about 3450 tt time after 12 years of flying. As an IP I fly more than the average line guy. Our high time guy graduated flight school with me and he has around 4000.
Blackwater is pretty solid on the 3500 hr requirement for guy going down range. I ran into to guys I used to fly with and one liked it the other not so much. They made great cash. Over 20 grand a month. I'm not sure how solid they would be on the 3500 requirement for Vertrep.
I know that some of the companies out in Cali are finding it harder to find guys with the type of time they require. I had an interview with a company but was offered a better packgage flying for the feds.
I agree with Brett on this one and think they hope for the best.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
On the subject of 3500 hours I'm going to have to agree thats high. One of the RAG IPs in 40 might make 2000 hours in the 60b when he leaves the RAG. Thats 6 years of flying just the 60B in just about the best way to get the most hours in it. I agree that HT IPs will have lots of hours, but thats not the type of airframe or mission that you'd be using for VERTREP.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I wonder what kind of equipment / aircraft Blackwater will field. Obviously they won an MSC contract similiar to what GEO-SEIS had with their SA-330 Puma's.

Blackwater had acquired surplus UH-3H's earlier in the year but the rumor was these would be used for PMC in/out of the Green Zone to Bagdad Airpt.

Hmmm.. Me wonders...

Can't imagine an H-3 would be a good vertrep platform what with their old, power limited engines.

I don't need any more job competition for Vertrep-ing.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Can't imagine an H-3 would be a good vertrep platform what with their old, power limited engines.

I don't need any more job competition for Vertrep-ing.

Evergreen and VHI are flying timber operations lifting 5-10,000 LB logs long line with surplus H-3's that have had all some serious weight savings applied to the aircraft. I think it's pretty amazing. Parts are cheap and plentiful and I bet you'll see these things soldier on for quite a while.

Even GEO-SEIS went with older/cheaper SA-330 straight Puma's - as opposed to newer 332 Super Puma/Cougar. It's a peer of the H-3/S-61 operationally.

So I'm really curious what Blackwater will actually field that will satisfy MSC and allow them to make a worthwhile profit. Mi-17's anyone?