• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vance

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTurse

If anybody would like to know a little about Vance, let me know. Both Navy and Marine students have been coming here for a few years now, with about 5 Navy students and 2 Marines out of a class that normally starts with 30. Navy students also come here for advanced training in the T-1 en route to wings and E-6 Mercury (TACAMO) units at Tinker AFB, Oklahoma City.

Air Force training is split into three phases. The first two phases constitute what we would consider primary ground, primary, and intermediate (if you're not going jets; if you go jets, you will leave Phase II early to go to a strike intermediate squadron). First phase is academic and about 6 weeks; second phase is BOTH academics and flying, often doing both on the same days.

Vance is an OK deal if: 1) you have significant prior flight time, 2) you like the Air Force, 3) you really really really want to fly a jet in training (yes, the Tweet is a real jet), 4) if you don't like having any time to yourself to use the bathroom, PT, or take a shower.

Yes, the attrition rate at Vance is higher. Of 5 Navy guys that started my class, and with one that rolled in, we lost 3 Navy guys-two DORs, one academic/airwork. No, the program will not graduate you faster. In fact, folks I went to API with graduated intermediate anywhere from 2 weeks ahead to about 4 weeks behind. No, there's no advantage or disadvantage as far as pipeline selection out of Vance. You will be at a disadvantage in this program if you do not have prior flight time (all AF guys have at least 50 hours, average in my class was about 80 hours, with the most going to a guy with 400). While the disparity in prior flight time does eventually get made up, the program is geared towards students who have more than half a clue about flying, not towards those who have never landed a plane before. Basically, students with 0 hours will have to work harder initially.

Enid, OK is small and relatively unimpressive compared to Pensacola or Corpus Christi. Most of the time students are too busy to care, since the standard is a 12 hour day on the flightline, either sitting and waiting, flying, sims, or academics. Enid doesn't lack in the basic creature comforts, but certainly doesn't have a beach, many trees, or hills. It is hot in the summer, and cold (and very windy) in the winter. They do issue ski masks, thick Air Force long underwear, and the heavy green flight jackets, as well as line gloves, so that you can do your preflight inspection in the winter....it gets cold with that oklahoma wind!

IN SUM, if you get orders here, great! The Air Force is very different, and it will be a good opportunity to observe another service at work. Like all good Boy Scouts, try to be prepared by seeking information, gouge, and folks who know how to survive here. This is like flight school if the nukes designed it. If you do not have significant prior flight time, however, I would not go out of your way to come to Vance. I had two senior aviators advise me to come here that believed that the AF has something particularly special. I disagree (my opinion) Stick with the Navy program; it's served naval aviators (who mostly have 0 time when they start) very well for many years.

JT

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
First, from an IP's perspective....I hate Vance. I spent half my time trying to get my studs back to the Navy/USMC way. There is a significant difference. Secondly, remember, this is Air Force OTS (Officer Training School). They have the tendency to treat everyone like newbys (including IP's). At least at Navy flight school, when your not flying or pulling some duty, your time was your own. Personally, I like that. JT, elaborate a little more on how your freedoms are denied or at least the big difference. If you get Vance, so be it. Grit your teeth and do your best. I caution you on requesting it, you may regret it. I'm not saying Navy flight school is easier, what I'm saying is that you have already been through OCS. There is no need to do it again and learn to fly. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Randy Haskin

quote:
elaborate a little more on how your freedoms are denied or at least the big difference.

First off, I will say that SUPT tends to treat it's students like dirt....I had been on active duty 3 years when I got there and they still made me salute 2Lt and 1Lt instructors.

As for denying freedoms, I think that's a bit of an overstatement. For the first part of T-37 training, all students are on what's called "formal release" -- that means that all students are required to stay in their flight room for the entire 12-hour duty day unless they are flying, in the sim, attending academics, or some other official appointment. The purpose there is not harassment, rather to force students to spend all of their duty time together studying.

While I'll admit that it sucked, you'd be surprised how much you can learn when you're bored and sitting around with your classmates for 12 hours a day!

Generally classes are taken off formal release after all students have soloed, then guys can do whatever they want during the duty day.

Edited by - Randy Haskin on 08/29/2001 20:17:40

JTurse

I think Frumby and Randy have adequately covered some of the major differences: more mickey mouse, and formal release. Formal release can and often does extend past soloing--that's flight commander dependent. I've seen some other wonderful practices, such as putting classes into blues/khakis/charlies as punishment, having classes march to and from academics to the flightline as punishment, and the questionable value of the stand up.

My personal opinion of formal release: it's a waste of time. I did great in API and spent a lot of time structuring my own time; better yet, I kept my PT up, and that kept my will to work hard and morale up (I like PT). There's very limited time to PT here, and most students do get out of shape (I can back this assertion up with the base physical trainer, since the AF keeps records of the ergos for their students). Even if you're on informal release, you're generally going to still have a show time as a flight when everybody comes in. This can go away in later parts of Phase III, but it's annoying.

The Air Force does it, and they also fly airplanes pretty darned well. I don't necessarily think that's a statement for the way the program is structured...since the Navy does training very differently, and gets great pilots, too. Just be prepared for Mickey Mouse, being treated like a drone/officer candidate all over again, and be prepared for some young instructors (there are a lot of First Assignment IPs-FAIPs). FAIPs are neither good nor bad, they're just way different if you're expecting some crusty O-3 straight from the fleet with 1500 hours. We have something similar in the Navy, too, Selectively Retained Graduates--SERGRADs. However, these are fewer and further between.

A plus that some guys note is that they like the class system. Phase I is similar to API in that you're all together as a big class. That class separates into two flights in Phase II, but you stay on the same timeline as a class, even if some of the guys are a week ahead of another guy. It means that you do all your academics together, and there's group integrity. Some guys like this, others don't. For me, since I like to have control over where and when I study, this didn't work...

I will admit, I attrited. I've been at Vance working in the Current Ops Flight. I've learned a lot about the AF, and there's a lot of things that they do very different, and a few things that they do better. I can answer some specific questions, but if you have a very specific questions, I have friends in all phases of training, and I will direct you to someone who can more credibly answer your questions.

As I've said before, if you're given the option, I'd probably skip it. If you get orders here, take it as it comes and do your best.

JT

Randy Haskin

quote:
...and the questionable value of the stand up.

For as much of a pain in the ass as stand-up EPs are, I'm a living testament to the fact that THEY WORK.

As a student in a complex airplane like Tweets, T-38s, and T-1s, it's very easy to get task saturated if an EP occurs. Stand Up is the best possible way, out of a simulator, of teaching big picture procedures and making you think three steps ahead of what's happening.

While I was flying a T-38 solo, I had an engine compressor stall and the 4th stage compressor give up the ship. I distinctly remember hearing the toilet in my tiny little cranium flush when the EP happened and I lost all my normal common sense. I directly attribute my ability to handle that EP to what I learned in stand up.

When you're already a somewhat experienced pilot and have plenty of hours in the airplane you fly, I'll admit that doing something like a stand-up EP is pretty worthless. UPT students are not, and I think that it works.

I can't find the link right handy, but there's a great article written by a T-37 student there at Vance about 3 years ago who had an engine fire while solo...he also attributes his success in handling that emergency directly to the stand-up process...

Jeff

Just a quick question.

I have met a couple Navy SNAs here in Primary who actually sent to Vance and attrited. But were given a second chance to do Primary on the Navy's side. Have you heard of this before?

JTurse

...don't let the AF know that.

it's happened; i won't say exactly how or why, since it's not addressed in the Navy instructions regarding flight training. I will say that it depends heavily on the situation, and that the bulk of Navy attrites from Vance do not and will not have the opportunity to start again at a Navy primary training squadron. I've never heard of the Marines doing that.

JT

Ian Bass

It is true. The one Navy SNA in my class was given a NFO slot along with another person a class of so ahead of us. There also have been a few people that were returned to the pilot pipeline. As JTurse said it does depend on your recond while at flight training here but there is also one senior Navy officer that is helping out a lot of Navy students. He won't be here forever but while he is, it is helping out alot of people.

JTurse

There's been some SNA to SNFO pipeline changes out of Vance; that's not too unusual, actually. Like I've said before, there have been a few SNAs with very special situations that have re-started primary with the Navy after attriting at Vance. The emphais is on "very special"--as is in this is a highly unusual way to resolve some problems particular to Vance.

How do you like T-1s, Ian?

JT

Jason Williams

Hey JTurse Im leaving for Vance tomm and like most everbody going have heard both bad and good. More bad than good. I actually voluntered to go. Just a few things. Is the academics portion structered like API and is it similar in content. Of the Three others in my API class two of us have flight time. What are they expecting of a new SNA, And last how are the grades compared to the Navy system as far as selection goes. Thanks Jason

JTurse

Phase I-- it's not structured like API. You'll cover some of the same subject matter, but mostly it's T-37 ground. The AF doesn't concern its students with a whole lot of general, theoretical information (like "how does a turboshaft work?"), so it's pretty T-37 specific. It's also mostly computer assisted instruction (CAI). You'll spend lots of time in front of a computer terminal, review with your class and an instructor, and then take a test. There's a little more dead time than there was in API.

Phase II-- I would be ready for Phase II by knowing your boldface and Ops limits cold. I'd also master the startup checklist, and have spent quality time with another, more advanced T-37 student, in the CPTs/links. Know what each instrument does, know how to execute the EPs, and start familiarizing yourself with other checklists. I would also start getting to know Notes, Warnings, & Cautions....

You should have 3-4 days of dead time at the beginning of Phase I when your AF counterparts will be doing their physiology training. You'll get to skip most of this, so it's a really good time to memorize ops limits and boldface, familiarize yourself with the CPTs, Vance, and venture to the learning center and computer lab. The learning center has videos of a lot of the training, like how to do a preflight inspection of the tweet, how to do some procedures...etc. Good to get a few of these videos when you have dead time.

Phase II is intense. Expect rigidity and formality from the AF system and AF instructors. Some of this will change with time, but it's the way they do things. Make yourself as prepared as possible before beginning Phase II, and all throughout the program. Probably the two things I would try to be, if I were to go through this again, would be to be prepared and to maintain a good attitude, no matter the crap going on (semper gumby!).

JT

Jason Williams

Thanks JTurse. This info seems helpful even though I dont have a clue what half of it means yet. Good luck in the future.
Blueskies

JTurse

Selection is about the same as at a Navy training wing. Out of 4 Navy in my class, two got strike, two got helos. Out of 3 Marines, there were 2 strike, 1 helo. The 2 that got strike were Embry-Riddle grads, and very good with the stick.

Decoding---

CPTs: Cockpit Procedure Trainers aka "links" they're the old sims used by the AF; essentially a mock cockpit for your practice.

Ops Limits & Boldface -- Ops limits are the operating limits for the aircraft. When you check in, you should be able to pick up a copy of these, or get them from pubs issue. Boldface are the portions of EPs that you must memorize and are in bold on in the Dash-1.

You'll do pubs issue early on, probably within a week of arriving here. It's worthwhile to take a look through that stuff, pull out the Ops Limits and Boldface, and start practicing.

Phase I = Navy ground school
Phase II = primary & intermediate (if you're going props or helos, otherwise it's just primary for strike guys).
Phase III = T-1s or T-38s....some Navy come here just for T-1s.

JT

Jason Williams

Im just curious how much prior flight time helps. Ever since i joined the Navy Ive heard it doesnt help but I also cant find a reason why it would hurt unless your absolutly stubborn and cant adjust to a new system. I have My Comm Multi Inst and have been flying for ten years. I hope all the experience helps but I not relying on it, just a background to build from.

JTurse

Prior time helps. I've heard the myth that it doesn't....yes, the military flys a little differently than civilians do. And yes, the military teaches in a different manner. But the guys that had graduated from Embry-Riddle and other undergraduate aviation training programs, who had Comm/Multi/CFI..etc.... certainly did a little better. They new how to anticipate the program. I don't think it will decrease the initial workload a whole lot, since everybody has to memorize the same T-37 specific information, systems, procedures, but it should make you a little more confident as well as a little more comfortable. You may even find yourself helping your fellow classmates through some of the basics, like comms.

The Navy will increase the pace of training for somebody with significant prior flight time and civilian training. Generally, it seems that squadron commanders have the disgression to put students on the fast track through primary, given prior experience. The Air Force will not do that. You'll still be tracked along with your class. The AF doesn't have the leeway to operate like the Navy. You'll probably understand that better after you finish at Vance and experience a Navy squadron.

On selection: the drop for my class wasn't the typical drop (normal is not 50% strike), but the point is, you have as good a chance of getting your number one pick out of Vance as you would if you were at a Navy VT. I've heard folks give Vance a bum rap, and some folks crediting Vance with getting them strike, but it all comes down to NSS and what the Navy needs at the time that you select.

JT

Status
Not open for further replies.