• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vance/moody Bubbas Read!

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
VOX was not used in LAMPS Mk I West. We never trained on it at all. Indeed, the one evolution where VOX would come in most handy (an electric hoist control failure, switch to manual where you push on two hydraulic valves to move the hoist up and down), we still didn't use it. When practicing a simulated hoist control failure, we would use the right hand to push the valves AND operate the ICS (thumb on the "up" valve, ring finger on the "down" valve, middle finger on the ICS while still holding non-functioning hoist controller), while the left guided the hoist itself. VOX just never entered into the equation. I wonder if the age of aircraft and the then current state of technology had anything to do with it? ;)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Ironic that PAGS is in my old squadron...
And I learned from a lot of your old squadron mates at the RAG, where no one seemed to care what you used :)

Like I said, some folks hate it and others like it. But I've never had someone tell me not to use VOX. In my helo, use whatever makes you comfortable, provided it isn't impacting other comms (such as VOX set too high).

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's also good to check your radio/ICS switches prior to speaking as well. You could be on hot mike and not even know it. Look, think, talk.

Hot mike is cool. Some guys swear by it, but sometimes my inner monologue is not so much inner and bad shite gets spoken aloud.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
You're experience is obviously limited. I flew GA for 16+ years before moving into commercial aviation and the airlines. I never used or and rarely heard of anyone else using a hot mike.

Limited yes, but that's all I ever flew with and most guys coming from IFS are using hot mike.

usmcecho4

pilot
I think the reason why hot mic is hated so much by IP's is that it makes it harder for them to hear each other on the VHF IP party line freq. Just a guess.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
In the V-22 community we use VOX all the time for ICS. Works fine. "Hot mic" will get you accidently transmitting over the radio if you have one selected on the panel. Back in the -46 we were strictly push-to-talk. The foot switch would go over the selected radio or over ICS, depending on which you selected, so a lot of guys would accidentally talk over the radio, especially after just strapping in on a hot seat.

BTW, that IP freq in HTs was always more trouble than it was worth. We had a couple of notorious IP overusers when I was there. I mean, use it to get a PIREP or something, not to give your buddy crap. It's not like the other 30 aircraft on the freq weren't doing anything.

KBayDog

Back in the -46 we were strictly push-to-talk. The foot switch would go over the selected radio or over ICS, depending on which you selected, so a lot of guys would accidentally talk over the radio, especially after just strapping in on a hot seat.

Truth.

After my first time accidentally talking over the radio with the foot switch, my routine for control changes (which I practiced a few times before the next flight) became a 5-step process:

1. Positve 3-way transfer (using the word "controls").
2. Physically tap the new pilot at the controls.
3. Select ICS (or appropriate radio).

Additionally, workload permitting, the comm switch is a fairly regular part of my "scan"; I peek at it periodically throughout the flight to ensure it is in the correct position.

FWIW, VOX/hot mike has never been an option in any cockpit I have been in on the Phrog. PTT is the standard. In fact, the CC or AO is usually the first one to correct a hot mike.

MasterBates

Am I understanding this right, that in the Phrog you can talk on the radio or ICS, but you have to move a switch on the dash/console to pick ICS or Radio?

And since I am jacking the thread.. What does "Heads in Taxi" mean? I have seen the Phrog guys use it, but am unsure what it means.

KBayDog

Am I understanding this right, that in the Phrog you can talk on the radio or ICS, but you have to move a switch on the dash/console to pick ICS or Radio?

And since I am jacking the thread.. What does "Heads in Taxi" mean? I have seen the Phrog guys use it, but am unsure what it means.

The Phrog has a foot switch that will transmit over whatever radio or ICS is selected on the "dashboard." The cyclic trigger is the same as the TH-57 (1/2 way for ICS, full for radio transmit).

Taxi is one of the three trim settings: Taxi, Auto, Forward. The rotor heads don't rotate around the vertical shaft in the same way as they do in helos with a tail rotor. That said, the heads move forward and aft in order to trim the aircraft to a "normal" cruising attitude based on flight conditions and to relieve stress on the rotor heads; this happens in "auto." "Taxi" positions the heads to provide optimum head position for ground taxi and running takeoffs.

Clear as mud?

cisforsmasher

pilot
I hate using hot mike. I do not need the IP hearing me curse and/or burp. I'm sure he doesnt want to hear me doing my best Darth Vader impersonation either.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think VOX and hot mike are much the same in MH-53Es. You have to turn up the vox enough to sense your voice in flight (extremely noisy). At that point, you are almost working in hot mike mode. The 60 R/S ICS is probably in much better condition as it's newer and still works as advertised.

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
I hate using hot mike. I do not need the IP hearing me curse and/or burp. I'm sure he doesnt want to hear me doing my best Darth Vader impersonation either.

I swear I am waiting for one particular IP to tell me he's my father when he sits in back... That being said, its good to know this "joint" training is really setting me up for the Navy...

Ok. Finishing my first set of on-wings from Air Force Primary (ironically one was a AF acad grad who cross-commissioned). They came from Vance/T-6s. The Air Force apparently LOVES to use HOT MIKE or VOX.

One is doing well with the adoptation, and the other, well, I'll see his lips moving and know that he is saying something that I can't hear. We're on FAM 8. If I didn't care about his success with the rest of the IPs, I'd let him use HOT MIKE...as it doesn't bother me, but I know some IPs that would UNSAT him for it down the road.

Please, for the love of God, request on any flights you can to use cold mike, because that's what you'll use when you get to the Navy side of the house. All helo bubbas that I know do not use VOX or HOT MIKE.

Advanced IPs chime in with this too?

Man have I got a lot to learn. If I didn't know better I would have thought that he was talking gibberish. :p

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Man have I got a lot to learn. If I didn't know better I would have thought that he was talking gibberish. :p

Nah...you'll learn that's true AFTER you get me as your on-wing... ;)

You'll learn it...and then you'll love it. Keep pluggin' away...