• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vance Housing

reapergm

Any of the Vance guys on here know any good apartments off base? Im looking for something relatively close to the gate. I know the BOQ is nice and all.. but Id rather be off base.

NavyLonghorn

I strongly reccomend staying on base. Most of the apartments in town are crap, and during the 15 days in particular, that ten minutes of driving is ten minutes of sleep.

If you must live off base, their are two places across from the mall, Winchester West, and Oak something or other. They are both decent.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, the way AF flight school is set up, living on base is the way to go.

pittflyer

This is why I can't get into Grad School
pilot
I lived off base in a rented house. (The housing office has a list of homes to rent in the area.) I would recommend those over apartments in that town if you can afford it. However, I concur with above said, live on base if you can. After a few months I was wishing I was on base for the convience of it. You won't have much time to take a crap let alone turn your off base housing into a party palace.

reapergm

Let me ask you this... whats the BOQ like? Is it a one room barracks type of place? Or is it like a 1 bdrm apartment? I have all this furniture and what not from my apartment here. I saw on the website you can get unfurnished housing. Whats the scoop on that.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Unfurnished housing means when you get your BOQ room, you can take all the stuff out of it and they'll put it into their storage, and then you can move your stuff in. The BOQ is nice, but if you have couches and stuff, none of that will fit. There's room for a bed, computer desk, big screen TV if you have it, and a reclining chair. There's already a chest of drawers in it for your clothes. It's more apartment style, no barracks crap. Don't let people fool you, the 15 day program is nothing compared to 15 days at TBS, you get 15 nearly uninterrupted days to learn what you need to learn, and totally engross yourself in the task at hand, I didn't mind it at all and I think most the martime guys here would say the same thing. At the longest, you might have a 10-15 minute drive to base from the W side of town, with absolutely no traffic so compared to Pensacola it's a dream. As for an extra 10 minutes of sleep? Sleep's a comfort based decision, you should know that. Most of the descent places off base aren't apartments, more like townhomes or condo's. I know there are lots of descent houses on the NW and W side of town over by Wal-Mart that can be had for about $575-$600, 2.5 car garage and 3 bedroom/1 bath, which isn't bad. The NE side of town is ghetto but cheap, I wouldn't. Sunridge Townhomes I think it's called, or Vance East as they like to call it, isn't bad, big and spacious, for about $650 or so, 3 bedroom/2 bathroom. Do you have a roommate? You'd need one for most places off base due to the prices? Are you married?

KBayDog

FLY_USMC said:
Sleep's a comfort based decision, you should know that.

Sleep is a "comfort-based decision" only in TBSLand.

Here in NATOPSWorld, sleep is an ORDER.

(At least, that's how I like to interpret it ;) )

NavyLonghorn

Southern Ag said:
The word i heard on vance was that all unmarried pilots were required to live on base if they had spots

The BOQ is generally very full. If you dont want to live there, you dont have to. I lived in the Q, never regretted the decision. Especially nice since we drank at the O-club alot.. not a long stumble home.

reapergm

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info. Yeah, I live in a 1 bdrm now, and I have a full apartment of stuff.. couches, kitchen table, wall unit, book shelves, etc. etc. I wouldnt mind living in the BOQ at all. As long as I can put my stuff in storage without being charged for it for the entire 5 months. Id rather just know that I dont have to commute and waste time getting from home to the flight line. Im wasting way too much time here in PCola doing that trash.

bennett4362

deployment sucks
reapergm said:
I have a full apartment of stuff.. couches, kitchen table, wall unit, book shelves, etc. etc. I wouldnt mind living in the BOQ at all. As long as I can put my stuff in storage without being charged for it for the entire 5 months.

i don't know about flight school orders, whether they're pcs or whatnot, but the navy will store your stuff for free up to 180 days on pcs orders...

bennett4362

deployment sucks
when you do your pack out, just have them mark what you want to be delivered and what you want to be stored. they'll call you after 90 days to see if you want it delivered, but you can extend it another 90 days.

when you get your next pcs orders, just let them know you have stuff to pick up at storage and at your residence.

we did it last year and had no problems; it worked out great for us.

CUFocker

Moving to Vance

Hey all. I'm moving to Vance in a few weeks here. I just completed my first week of API at NASP. I'm probably going to live in the BOQ for a little while and get all my cr@p sorted out. I noticed that a lot of the Navy people from Vance have been selecting E6's. Is there something I should know about what the Navy is asking for? Also, if anyone else is going there or is there now, let me know. It would be nice to have some fellow miserable-ites to hang out with.
~Wm

IanBass

T-6 Driver (IP)
pilot
CUFocker said:
Hey all. I'm moving to Vance in a few weeks here. I just completed my first week of API at NASP. I'm probably going to live in the BOQ for a little while and get all my cr@p sorted out. I noticed that a lot of the Navy people from Vance have been selecting E6's. Is there something I should know about what the Navy is asking for? Also, if anyone else is going there or is there now, let me know. It would be nice to have some fellow miserable-ites to hang out with.
~Wm

I can speak about the E-6's since that was my last command. We are going through a bit of a pilot draw down right now. When I left there were about 46 or so pilots in each squadron. The commodore can down and said that she wanted to limit the number of pilots in each squadron to something around the mid thirties. Thus we are have some pilots leave early and we are starting to slow down the number of guys coming into the pipeline. I went to Vance for T-37's and then was selected for E-6's so I stayed up there. That was not too uncommon back then however not it is not as common. It seems that the Navy wants their aviators to have some Navy training.