• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vance Housing Office

EastCat

Anyone out there been SOL because they signed a lease before they got to Vance? Right now Vance housing won't give a straight answer whether or not the BOQ is full so I'm considering just signing a lease before I get there next week. I know they say you won't get BAH if the BOQ is not full but has this ever happened to someone you know?

Also is Edgewood Arms a decent place? I heard Sunridge was where most people go.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
IMO it is better to live on base while at Vance. I know after the fact you will be sick of living on base and won't ever want to do it again, but for the6 months or so that you are there I think it's a good idea.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
HH-60H said:
IMO it is better to live on base while at Vance. I know after the fact you will be sick of living on base and won't ever want to do it again, but for the6 months or so that you are there I think it's a good idea.

What about those of us who have an apartment full of new furniture, and are getting the Shaft-de-Vance? I'm gonna haveta pay storage fees, wont I? Or will the Navy hold all my stuff, without destroying it while I spend my time at Vance?

EastCat

Purdue said:
What about those of us who have an apartment full of new furniture, and are getting the Shaft-de-Vance?

I'm in the same position as Purdue. Do I have the movers pack everything and store part of it and deliver part of it? Seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Anyone check in at Vance in the last week or so and can tell us if the BOQ is full enough to let people live off base?

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I heard a rumor about Vance Sailors getting Per Diem while stationed out there... anyone heard about this?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Well, IF you are PCS'ing, then you won't get Per diem, but the govt will store your household goods for 6 months, and *I think* you can ask for another 6 months. If you already have a apartment full of furniture then that is something to consider. I didn't have anything when I went to Vance because I didn't go to API first.

gatechaviator05

SQZR
pilot
about housing at Vance, when you get here you will stay in the TLF (Temporary lodging facility) for as long as it takes until a room is available in the dorms. I was in the TLF for about a week and a half before a dorm was available. Guys are moving out all the time so you won't wait long. A partial dity/gov move is the way to go...anything you don't bring with you on the dity you can have delivered once you get a dorm. You'll most likely have at least 4 weeks before you class up and that is more than enough time to get everything squared away. Finally, I highly recommend living on base. Once you get here you will understand, everything you need is there and it's only for six months.

reapergm

I live in the BOQ. I like it. Its a basic studio, not too big.. but does the job. I got a partial delivery. The rest of my stuff is in storage for 6 months. I brought in my tv, small couch, bed, and coffee table. I kept their nightstand, comp desk and bookshelf. You can keep or get rid of whatever you want.

I like the BOQ. I was really torn whether to live on or off base, but I am happy with my choice to live on base. Yeah, I dont collect BAH, but it sure is convenient. I can come and go out of my room as I please, and I heard thats a huge benefit over the off base guys during those 12 hour days. Its 6 months where Im looking to learn, not to make money. Its nice to have bah, but not necessary. Thats my 2 cents.

skotc9

i live off base, less than one mile from the gate. it's a non-issue with getting back home when i have a few hours off, it's literally a three minute drive. i just like getting away from it all and having my own place.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Here is another thing that is great about living on base:
Many of your fellow studs live there too. It's easy to get together for studying, or run over to a buddy's place so he can explain and demonstrate a concept for you.
When I was there there was a group of 4 us who would study and so forth. We also took turns cooking dinner, which was great.

A separate but related thing to do at Vance is to use a Crockpot. Get up in the morning drop a couple pieces of frozen chicken, frozen vegetables, and box of those betty crocker potato dishes, and turn it on. 12 hours later dinner is ready and waiting when you come home. If 12 hours is too long for that meal, use a lamp timer to start it 4 hours after you leave or whatever.