• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vance for Primary??

JSketto

Primary
Hey guys,

I read through JMO20's post already but id like to know some opinions of Corpus vs Vance for a single ENS who wants jets....im planning on busting my ass and putting the work in no matter where i go but im just curious what people are suggesting....(badass airframe with airforce babysitting vs turboweenie with navy's more laid-back style)
thanks

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who cares what you fly in primary? It's a means to an end. Pick the locale for the fun and level and style of training.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Barring some very unusual circumstances, the T-34 is still a monster no matter what you've ever flown before. From what I've heard the T-6 is far from perfect too. The 34 may be uncomfortable, look bad, smell worse and break on you every so often but its fun as hell to fly and you are being paid to do so. She's not worn out yet, besides there's about 8000 different sets of gouge out there that's 34 specific so you can pick your poison (literally).

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
+1 for above.

The T-34 was the hottest plane I had flown and it said "NAVY" on the side. That did it for me.

hornsfan

happy to be here
pilot
FWIW, there have been a few guys who go through Vance, and then have trouble adapting to the Navy's way of teaching things in Advanced. Vance guys seem to have a tougher time in the BI & RI sims down here in Kingsville than do guys who did Primary at Corpus or Whiting.

Plus Ive heard AF guys who went through Whiting say that they liked the Navy way of doing things better. Ive never heard a guy who went to Vance say that he would rather be back in AF training.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
FWIW, there have been a few guys who go through Vance, and then have trouble adapting to the Navy's way of teaching things in Advanced. Vance guys seem to have a tougher time in the BI & RI sims down here in Kingsville than do guys who did Primary at Corpus or Whiting.

Plus Ive heard AF guys who went through Whiting say that they liked the Navy way of doing things better. Ive never heard a guy who went to Vance say that he would rather be back in AF training.

I'm kind of tired of hearing how my training was sub par and lackluster because I went somewhere outside of a red and white plane (or is it orange and white? i still can't figure out what to call that color).

"Vance Guys (insert comment about how we can't walk and chew gum, can't think on our feet, don't adapt to the navy style of training etc ad nauseum)"

It'd be interesting to see what percent from each training field fail to wing in advanced/how the NSS's stack up at the end.

Bottom line on the T-6:

It's a brand new airplane, with 3 times the torque and almost 3 times the horsepower of the T-34.
It can be a bitch to fly in the beginning because of how much power it has. It will be fun to fly when you get to do tailchase at 6.99999 g's and over the top maneuvers in formation. From hearing about formation flights down here, and watching them from the beach while sipping on a margarita or landshark, they don't compare with how we flew the texan in the 'Nid.

You will be responsible for planning your mission profiles on your own, no handholding there. You are responsible for making sure your training is finished and up to MIF when it needs to be, or you will get screwed over. Every week, you'll take a test on different chapters of the -1 (NATOPs). For instance, one week all of the stuff in chapters 1,2,4,9,10 of the Dash 1, chapters 2-8 of the 11-201, and chapters 2-6 of the 11-217 are fair game. 20 Questions, miss more than 3 and your toast. You learn a lot, and you learn it fast, or you get smoked.

Your area solo will be a blast. You will learn how to fly a full GPS procedure, vice RV to final, something a t-34 cannot do, but you won't know how to fly a TACAN approach, because it doesn't have one. You will be able to fly an ILS, and you'll fly a lot of them, another thing the t-34 cannot do. There isn't a squirrel running furiously on a wheel behind the dash. Very rarely will you cancel for maintenance. You will learn how to sarcastically brush off the sweeping generalizations of your fellow navy brethren when you come back to the true blue service for having gone through the "kindergarten flight school program". You will have to burn your flight suit to fix the AF goofiness in patches and pockets and velcro. Letting the zipper down all the way without a FAIP bitching at you will be a relief.

The AF way of training is meant to be a pain in the ass. It shakes out a lot of can't-hack-its really fast. Bottom line, enjoy training no matter where you go. T-6 or T-34, you're still getting paid to learn how to fly in a plane that makes civilians flying a 500K cirrus cream their pants.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Scoolbubba, did you wear an ascot while you were there sipping on that AF kool-aid. ;)

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
Schoolbubba, did you wear an ascot while you were there sipping on that AF kool-aid. ;)

Nah, just grew a sweet 'stache in the spirit of Gen Old's for Mustache March (we didn't have a Det, so no Det staches, and you gotta piss your significant other off with facial hair sometime), so I guess that counts as buyin' the kool aid.

I never did figure out why they are called ascots, not scarves, and why only the homo's wore them.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
and there's no H in scoolbubba!

gonna have to get that fixed on the AW plaque for the alternates in the ladies room down the hall.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Former VT-6'r, whiting was a blast. Can't speak for OK but I've been in S. Texas for a while now and staying in p'cola for primary was the right choice for me (i actually got to pick), there was just so much more to do there I thought, and MUCH better roads for riding if you own a motorcycle. Coolest thing that happened to me; on my last PA solo I was over the eastern edge of lillian bay/bridge watching the Blues fly practice from 6000'.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Had an instructor at Whiting tell me he would rather be shot in the A@@ than go through AF training again. Also T-6 may be stronger but it sure in hell can't stop on a dime like the T-34 can. Go to Corpus or Whiting. If jets is what you want Vance probably won't help you. I can refer you to a couple Vance guys that had jets as dream #1 with NSS in the high 50s that are at the HTs. Enjoy the beach and golf when you are not flying. Go with beta and go with the T-34 and stop in 1500 feet in true Navy fasion. Plus parachutes are more fun!!! Good luck wherever you go.