• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VANCE decision for a Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
My point is Vance doesn't suck, and they need to look at it in that light. ....

And that's the "key" ... it only "sucks" if that is how YOU approach it. Kingsville and Beeville "sucked" ... and we won't EVEN get into Meridian -- but everyone had a GREAT time in those NAVY shit-holes and those locales provided the basis for great memories and nascent, budding "sea-stories" ... :)

It's all what YOU make of it. Unless YOU suck, and then it's all academic ...

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Isn't there a Navy CDR there or any kind of Navy leadership?

USAdefender

GO STATE!!!
I just want to add this for food for thought. How long is training, About 18 months give or take a few months? And all navy pilots have an 8 year commitment after winging, right? So then why in the world does it really matter where you get trained as long as you get winged and start "living the dream"? Hey, it's only a few months out of a your life.

Personally, I look forward to one day being able to train in my hometown (Meridian). Hey, I know there's not much to Meridian, but it is my home and I love it.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

I don't know about the navy side, but a buddy of mine just got orders to Vance to be the senior Marine. For those of you headed there, you'll have tons of backup when you're right, and a world class ass chewing when you're wrong.

Don't be wrong.

He's a stand-up guy, so if the air force is fomenting buffoonery, you can take it to him for action.

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms

There is two Primary squadrons there. The 8th and the 33rd. When I was there, the CO of the 33rd was a Navy CDR and the XO of the 8th was also a Navy CDR. On the Marine side, we had a senior Marine and I believe 3 other Marine IP's with a couple more coming through the pipeline soon. I can't remember how many Navy IP's there were, but there were quite a few.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
What is worse than doing Primary at Vance or doing an AF IA?.......IP orders to Vance!:D

Dude, I'd LOVE to get orders to Vance as an IP. Already asking around to see if it's doable for me.

I'm not the least bit worried about dealing with the AF and their culture. It is what you make of it.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Oddly enough I'd probably go back to Vance in a heartbeat, my wife is also a Midwesterner and she'd love to be back close to home.

I have nothing but outstanding things to say about the Marine/Navy leadership while I was at Vance. The Senior Marine while I was there was a great guy. If it wasn't for him, a buddy of mine who was having some "anthro" issues wouldn't be flying what he's always wanted, and there's a strong chance I'd still be med-down while they analyzed the metal plates in my face. He's in Osprey land so if I ever run across him, drinks on the house.

MasterBates

How Odd-shaped must one be to be anthro'd out of the V-22?

(and this is coming from someone who is an anthropomorphic "freak" according to NOMI)

flyingjt2

Final Decision

After all the negative comments, I have sorted through the BS and found the positives. Being a Marine we tend to take the harder route. I figure why stop now. I had a tough TBS class, I could argue one of the hardest SPC's, but i learned more in 6 months from that man than 90% of my brothers and in college. I loved that my higher leadership understood what it takes to get to the finished product and in my case it was hard. I like to think of it as Tough Love. I learned a lot about myself and I suspect the same will follow at Vance. I appreciate everyones effort and it goes to show us all the dedication we have for each other, branches aside. Keep up the mentoring gents you have helped a fellow Marine!

My last question! If I role into Vance with a CFII will I be ahead of those in my class with regards to prior time? Reading through a lot of old posts it sounds as if ill be average. Any thoughts?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Mmmmmkay. Have fun with that. The BS that you speak of is from people who have been there, done that. I am not saying that you won't enjoy your time there, you will just enjoy less of it mainly because your time will be spent locked away in the squadron.
Crazy kids...
I don't know where you get the idea that you won't have a huge leg up with a CFII. You will. Most Air Force students arrive at UPT with their private, that is it.
Enjoy!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
After all the negative comments, I have sorted through the BS ....I learned a lot about myself...My last question! If I role (sic) into Vance with a CFII will I be ahead of those in my class ...Any thoughts?

GREAT !!! We're glad you "learned a lot about" yourself (?).

When and if you "roll" (sic) into Vance, will a CFI "help" ??? No, the ticket won't help ... the ONLY thing that WILL help is if you are better than the competition as a result of your prior flight time. It's highly subjective.

This question has been beat to death over and over again on this forum. How YOU do depends upon YOU.

Does anyone think that's changed over the decades .... ?? :)

We're glad that you "sorted through all the B.S." and have the program figured out. Keep up w/ that attitude. Especially at such a tender, young age and experience level. :) That puts you light years ahead of your competition.

Enjoy flight training.

P.S. don't be presumptuous.

Thread closed. :sleep_125

lockedlr3.jpg

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
After all the negative comments, I have sorted through the BS and found the positives. Being a Marine we tend to take the harder route. I figure why stop now. I had a tough TBS class, I could argue one of the hardest SPC's, but i learned more in 6 months from that man than 90% of my brothers and in college. I loved that my higher leadership understood what it takes to get to the finished product and in my case it was hard. I like to think of it as Tough Love. I learned a lot about myself and I suspect the same will follow at Vance. I appreciate everyones effort and it goes to show us all the dedication we have for each other, branches aside. Keep up the mentoring gents you have helped a fellow Marine!

My last question! If I role into Vance with a CFII will I be ahead of those in my class with regards to prior time? Reading through a lot of old posts it sounds as if ill be average. Any thoughts?

New callsign for flyingjunk or whatever....assjockey....continue lock

Status
Not open for further replies.