• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VANCE decision for a Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingjt2

I have to decide today if i want to go to Vance. I really want to fly the T6 and i don't care that Vance is in the middle of nowhere. I just want to be a good pilot. Do they really make you work 12 hour days for 6 months? Anyone that has been there and could share a bit on what really happens there would help me.
Thanks
Lt.

pal215

None
Air force run

Just remember Vance is Air Force run and operated, totally different culture. There are very few of the people I know that went to Vance that thought it was worth it.

But I will say, that I flew in T-6's in Pensacola and it is a really nice airplane, lots of power and glass panels in the cockpit. Ejection seat scared me every time I strapped into it though.

phrogpilot73

I have to decide today if i want to go to Vance. I really want to fly the T6 and i don't care that Vance is in the middle of nowhere. I just want to be a good pilot. Do they really make you work 12 hour days for 6 months? Anyone that has been there and could share a bit on what really happens there would help me.
Thanks
Lt.
Just out of curiosity, what is driving the statement that you really want to fly the T-6? Are you implying that good pilots don't come out of the T-34?

Personally, if it was me - I would go to Whiting or Corpus. As mentioned previously, it is a wholly different culture in AF flight training. The good deal used to be that you sucked up the pain (and yes, you have to be there flying or studying during the hours they post) and got yourself an FAA commercial multi-engine on the backend. However, now you'll get a single engine... Same as P-Cola/Corpus.

There will be an opportunity for you to fly the T-6 if you don't go to Vance. And fly it a lot. After your first fleet tour, volunteer for a FAC tour - and you can (almost) write your own ticket with the monitor. Ask for orders to P-Cola as an instructor. That way, you'll get to fly the T-6 A LOT. Good luck.

MasterBates

Go to Corpus or Whiting.. Sometimes guys get "fooked" by the AF IPs not understanding how USN/USMC grading works, and the consequences of such.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Air Force has a way of taking the fun out of things and from the way it sounds, primary at Vance would suck.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Go to Corpus or Whiting.. Sometimes guys get "fooked" by the AF IPs not understanding how USN/USMC grading works, and the consequences of such.

This is pretty much balanced out by the fact that all the Vance selects get their scores weighted accordingly for final NSS. There are no more or less jet selects out of Vance.

That being said, I have experienced it on the T-1 side and it is a living hell if you are:
1. Older than 12
2. Don't like having your hand held through every step of every process
3. Have the good sense and discipline to study during your OWN time off

You can do the research (via SEARCH) and get the scoop on Vance. Guys that are already there will say "it's not so bad, the T-6 is great, blah blah blah", but they are just lying to themselves. Either way, you get paid to fly, but in Navy training you will enjoy yourself much more. Just ask the Air Force guys at VT-3 which they would rather be doing.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
I will be heading to Vance after API. Can some guys who are there or who have been there shoot me a PM?

All I've ever read on here is that it's a drag. Other than the T-6, there have to be some other pros to the place...I hope.

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
What's really funny is the AF guys coming back to Vance (or other AF training base) after finishing primary in the Navy. They are known to have difficulty adjusting to the AF way.

CaptainRon, P.M. me with questions if you want. I just finished Vance in Feb.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Don't be an idiot. Who cares what you fly for 6 months. If you are in the Air Farce environment, that will be 6 months of your life you won't get back, but at least when you don't select tailhook because as MB says about the AF IPs screwing you, you can tell everyone on here that you strapped into an ejection seat. Go to CC or Whiting.

PS- Imagine having to update multiple "professional manuals" by hand. When I say by hand I mean writing in paragraghs not cutting and pasting pieces of paper.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I have to decide today if i want to smash my dick w/ a tack hammer. I really want to be awesome and i don't care that smashing my dick w/ a tack hammer will be a big giant leap backwards. I just want to be awesome. Do they really make you do a bunch of lame AF shit? Anyone that has smashed their dick w/ a tack hammer and could share a bit on how frustrating it has been for the Navy to undo the damage would help me.
Thanks
Lt.
There you go.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Thanks
Lt.

You will not like Vance.

You're an idiot. That is all.

P.S. Would you eat broken glass to have a chance to sleep with Keira Knightley when you could have Jessica Alba without the pain? You come out with approximately the same results, but one gives you a permanant digestive problem.

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
Primary at Vance isn't so bad. I'd do it again. You just have to be a little flexible. It will make you glad you're not in the AF.

Raptor2216

You sound like one of those guys who thinks IOC would be a great idea before flight school. If you really want to make your life hard to while trying to become a "good pilot", whatever that is, then vance is for you. However, if you were smart you'd choose Corpus Christi. The only cool airplane you're going to fly will be your fleet A/C. Losing out on good times to fly some airplane you consider "cool" for 6 months is the dumbest decision one can make.

Status
Not open for further replies.