• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ValuJet 592 Crash

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
The Smithsonian Channel has a fascinating show called "Air Disasters" Last episode discussed ValuJet 592 which crashed in the Everglades. There was a fatal mistake in oxygen canisters in the cargo hold: originally labelled as expired, they somehow were mislabeled as empty. FAA tested these 144 expired canisters as originally packed in their special fire test chamber. When ignited, the temperature went off the recordable scale (3000+ degrees) and almost destroyed the FAA chamber. Going back to the flight data recorder, it appeared it took 3 minutes, 42 seconds from the time of ignition to the crash.

Be very cautious when dealing with oxygen - and don't mess around with fire.

jmcquate

Contributor
Remember when it happened (DC-9?), the FAA figured it out pretty quickly, but as I recall some high up heads rolled. ValueJet is AirTran now.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindenburg_disaster

You would've thought they'd learned by now. I enjoy Air Disasters, but I wouldn't exactly call it "fascinating"

Last week was the story of the rudder reversals that crashed both a United 737 and a USAir 737. Forgot the airline where the pilot got lucky and landed with a problem. Found out it was a combination that had not been tested - a supercooled valve that had very hot hydraulic fluid pumped through - caused the valve to either jam or reverse.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I thought Valujet, in some weird turn of ownership survival, has become Allegiant? No?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I thought Valujet, in some weird turn of ownership survival, has become Allegiant? No?

No, they merged with AirTran, and even though ValuJet was the nominal survivor, they retained AirTran's name and branding due to ValuJet's horrid reputation.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Last week was the story of the rudder reversals that crashed both a United 737 and a USAir 737. Forgot the airline where the pilot got lucky and landed with a problem. Found out it was a combination that had not been tested - a supercooled valve that had very hot hydraulic fluid pumped through - caused the valve to either jam or reverse.

Read this book about that crash and the investigation. A lot of determination on the NTSB's part to find the cause. They really did a lot of testing on those rudder valves before they found that problem. Rather like the TWA 800 accident - a "ghost" of a problem that took certain circumstances to occur.

https://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Flig...=flight 427&qid=1462657958&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1