• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VADM William P. Lawrence

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
On 28 June 1967, CDR William P. Lawrence, CO of the VF-143 "Pukin Dogs", was shot down while leading an F-4 divisionj flak suppression for a major Alpha Strike at Nam Dinh No. Vietnam. He & his RIO ejected right over "downtown" and were captured immediately. As a senior POW, CDR Lawrence was bruatally tortured, and resisted valiantly throughout his 6-year captivity. He returned with honor in 1973, resuming his brilliant career.

In honor of the late VADM William P. Lawrence, the Navy will commission it's newest Warship, USS WILLIAM P. LAWRENCE (DDG-110) in Pascagoula MS on 4 June 2011, fittingly. the 69th anniversary of t*e Naval Victory in the Battle of Midway. Rest yours oars, Admiral.

I was flying Alp*a Strike Leader CAG's section lead t*at day, and we rolled in rig*t be&ind t*e "TapRoom" flak t*u'mpers. My written narrative of t*is mission can be found in post #46, Military Aviation in General t*read "T*ere I Was, a Vietnam era..... .. . "
BzB, *ead bowed
* = inop. keyboard key

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here you go BzB. Quite a story.

On 28 June 1967, CDR William P. Lawrence, CO of the VF-143 "Pukin Dogs", was shot down while leading an F-4 division flak suppression for a major Alpha Strike at Nam Dinh No. Vietnam. he & his RIO ejected right over "downtown" and were captured immediately. As a senior POW, CDR Lawrence was brutally tortured, and resisted valiantly throughout his 6-year captivity. he returned with honor in 1973, resuming his brilliant career.

In honor of the late VADM William P. Lawrence, the Navy will commission it's .newest Warship, USS WILLIAM P. LAWRENCE (DDG-110) in Pascagoula MS on 4 June 2011, fittingly. the 69th anniversary of the Naval Victory in the Battle of Midway. Rest yours oars, Admiral.

I was flying Alpha Strike Leader CAG's section lead that day, and we rolled in right be&ind the "TapRoom" flak thu'mpers. My written narrative of this mission can be found in post #46, Military Aviation in General thread "There I Was, a Vietnam era..... .. . "
BzB, head bowed

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
USN Newest Warship

In Honor of the late VADM William P. Lawrence, the Navy will commission it's newest Warship, USS WILLIAM P. LAWRENCE (DDG-110) in Pascagoula MS on 4 June 2011; fittingly, the 69th anniversary of the Naval Victory in the Battle of Midway.

Update: The USS WILLIAM P. LAWRENCE (DDG-110), arrived in her new homeport of San Diego on 30 June 2011. For you AWs in the area, it would probably be worth a look-see, maybe go aboard and experience that "new car", er..."ship" aura.:idea_125:
BzB

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
It's nice to hear when the Navy names a ship after a heroic naval officer, or other heroic military member (e.g. USNS SHUGARTT and GORDON). As opposed to some other silliness that has been discussed on this forum previously.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
RADM Lawrence was an awesome guy. It was a bit of a bummer that I only got to meet him in his last year of life and Alzheimer's had already gotten a decent grip on him, but he could still tell a mean sea story.