• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vacation and API

todd740

Trogdor comes in the NIIIIIGHT!!!
pilot
I report to P-cola on 3 Nov and Have a trip planned for 6 Jan. What are the chances of actually being able to go on this trip? I will have completed IFS before I report.

navysoccer18

FNG
pilot
If you are not classed up for API by 6 JAN, you will have no problem taking leave. However, if you are in API by then, you will only be authorized leave from 1600 on Friday to 2000 on Sunday.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
NFO has a 3-4 months wait. Pilot is much shorter. Everything else is true.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I report to P-cola on 3 Nov and Have a trip planned for 6 Jan. What are the chances of actually being able to go on this trip? I will have completed IFS before I report.

When did you get your orders? This planned trip, does it involve plane tickets? You may, and this is a very big may, be able to argue that the plans were made before the orders were cut.

If you got the orders, then made tickets...I'll give you a below in headwork.

TROGDOR COMES IN THE NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!

~D

todd740

pilot
It is a 8 day cruise in the Carribean. Parents Picking up the cost :D. I got my orders before the trip was planned. I am a SNA. I have to give confirmation by early October, is there any way to find out when I will get classed up?

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I'm sure if you request leave early enough, the API class-up guru will see that and not schedule you to start until you're back.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
I wouldn't count on them "noticing" your leave request and automatically delaying your class up date. Your best bet is to wait until a time when the STU CON officer isn't swamped with A-pool student issues, go in in Khakis, and very succinctly explain your situation. 1. This trip has been planned for some time. 2. Your parents gave it to you as a graduation present (or whatever the reason was) 3. It was a surprise, and you really didn't have any say in when it was scheduled. 4. You are more than willing to have your class up date pushed back, if that makes it easier for them to accomodate your request.
Obviously, you will have to tailor this to your individual situation, but if 7 years in the Navy has taught me anything, there are a few basics that will help whenever you ask for anything special. 1. Don't do it when they have 50 other things demanding their attention. 2. Don't make it their problem; make it clear that you understand this is a special request, and that you've already tried to look at the possible conflicts, (such as their finely tuned production schedule) and find a way to make your request impact them as little as possible (let them shift your class up date later, if it helps their scheduling). 3. Don't wait until the last minute. This will just p!ss them off and make them much less willing to go out of their way to help you. 4. Finally, be aware that by requesting a special, out of the ordinary favor from them, they may do the same in return. If you get that call a few days after your trip telling you to take a stash job shoveling sh!t at the dog pound, realize it's your obligation to help them out, the same way they helped you. Sorry for the long winded answer, maybe you can tell I've been on both sides of this situation before, and good luck with your trip!

todd740

pilot
So would it be best to wait until 3 Nov and do it in person, or is this something I could do by phone sooner than that?

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
So would it be best to wait until 3 Nov and do it in person, or is this something I could do by phone sooner than that?

You're definitely going to have to wait, cause until you check in there, they don't care about you, ie you're not their responsibility. Penguin's advice is certainly noteworthy.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I wouldn't count on them "noticing" your leave request and automatically delaying your class up date. Your best bet is to wait until a time when the STU CON officer isn't swamped with A-pool student issues, go in in Khakis, and very succinctly explain your situation. 1. This trip has been planned for some time. 2. Your parents gave it to you as a graduation present (or whatever the reason was) 3. It was a surprise, and you really didn't have any say in when it was scheduled. 4. You are more than willing to have your class up date pushed back, if that makes it easier for them to accomodate your request.
Obviously, you will have to tailor this to your individual situation, but if 7 years in the Navy has taught me anything, there are a few basics that will help whenever you ask for anything special. 1. Don't do it when they have 50 other things demanding their attention. 2. Don't make it their problem; make it clear that you understand this is a special request, and that you've already tried to look at the possible conflicts, (such as their finely tuned production schedule) and find a way to make your request impact them as little as possible (let them shift your class up date later, if it helps their scheduling). 3. Don't wait until the last minute. This will just p!ss them off and make them much less willing to go out of their way to help you. 4. Finally, be aware that by requesting a special, out of the ordinary favor from them, they may do the same in return. If you get that call a few days after your trip telling you to take a stash job shoveling sh!t at the dog pound, realize it's your obligation to help them out, the same way they helped you. Sorry for the long winded answer, maybe you can tell I've been on both sides of this situation before, and good luck with your trip!

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
That is good advice!
Penguin, you must work in skeds. I wish I could copy your post and paste it on the sniv book! I don't know how many people have made their wedding/vacation/parents in town MY problem when I was working skeds. I would jump through my @ss to help people who came to me when I wasn't busy and with a sensible solution.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None

Yo Bobba Ganush! I'd wait till you get here then ask. Because its very possible to class up within 1-2 months of reporting. But if u have tickets already and flt mgmt decides to class u up before 6Jan, u may have to persuade them push back that date. And in turn, your wait may be even longer. Anyways, u know my number. Holler at me when u get in town.

Love,
Your former "mexican" roommate at the ROTC House aka "The Draft"