• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

V-22 One-Engine Landing: Check

Redux

Redux -- I have always seen fuel cell work done by powerplants. H-60 fuel cells are not metal -- they are a "bag". Oh, and I have been at squadrons where rags have been issued one for one for this exact reason. Take another run around the block, Skippy.

Well Skip, maybe, just maybe rotary wing aren't "really" airplanes? :) It's been over 30 years since I laid a hand on a hummer (weren't they bladder)?, 10 tank 4 engine recips I was on were 2 bladder and 8 wet and on and on and on. Nosepickers did fuel pumps, would you really want them to replace dome nuts? :eek: Luckily I was never involved with rag exchanges that would be a major pain in the ass. I have seen a flashlight get left in one, tool control and shadow boxes did their job.
No need for me to go around the block, I do what I want. :p

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
Great... add rags to the IMRL list.

It doesn't matter, if it's not rags it'll be something else, I once flew from Yuma to ChPt with a plastic bag lodged in the fuel system. Couldn't figure out why I kept getting that pesky "tank" light on the hose. Thanks Boeing dudes!

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
Victim of rag in fuel system. . . check.

PMCF in the gulf, uncontrollable fuel migration. The only emergency pull forward I ever needed. Fun for all. At least the pull forward made for a short flight.

Malo83

Keep the Faith
So you're saying you have MIL-S-8802-D in your veins and topcoat is just a coagulant? :confused: Some things one NEVER forgets about. :)
Oh Yeahhhhh:p
Remember when I was in VQ1 in Guam we had an EA3B Whale come back from rework in Alameda with a step ladder that was left in the fuel cell, that fuel cell in the fuselage was BIG you could walk around in it.:eek:

Redux

Oh Yeahhhhh:p
Remember when I was in VQ1 in Guam we had an EA3B Whale come back from rework in Alameda with a step ladder that was left in the fuel cell, that fuel cell in the fuselage was BIG you could walk around in it.:eek:

Sadly poo sometimes happens. You got a free ladder out of it. We sent one down to rework at Dothan Al. in 1985, They had it for about 3 or 4 months I guess. Pilot, co pilot and FE all lost after about 25 seconds of flight. As soon as they were committed the elevator locked up. They had rudder and ailerons........long story short they all died. There was AT LEAST 2 foot of slop in the control cables, they actually found extra coils in the belly. The leading edge straps were left unfastened, that created a buffet that shook the cables off the pulleys and bellcrank. The cable wrapped itself around the large counter weight on the bottom of the pilots yoke. They had very MARGINAL lateral control with the trim tabs.......in reverse. Since the elevator was frozen the little one couldn't move the big one so up trim made the plane nose over slightly.

They blamed it on Dothan for shoddy maintenance but also included the pilot for not trying to troubleshoot it further. Some went to the FE for not finding the loose leading edge straps. :icon_rage Sad day in the squadron and trips to Arlington.

One month to the day another of our planes did a nose up landing! Pucker factor of 10 but at least it was unavoidable.

Sorry, enough of my poo happens rant. :eek:

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
When we did fuel cell work (SH-3Hs) rags were a controlled item as was everything else. Our MO had a bad experience with an aircraft because of something going wrong in a fuel cell and he was determined that it didn't happen again. He actually inspected the cavity before we were allowed to put the bag in and stuck his head in the manhole with a flashlight before we were allowed to close it up. As far as I'm concerned Airframes is welcome to them, that's one part of the job I'll never miss. I'm just curious as to what they were doing in the V-22's fuel cell in the first place? It seems to be too new an aircraft to have a failure already.

Redux

I'm just curious as to what they were doing in the V-22's fuel cell in the first place? It seems to be too new an aircraft to have a failure already.

Time will tell, not a great design maybe? :confused: On some wet wing aircraft a hard landing seemed to often make gas.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
More than likely a function of the environment. The dust over there is like baby powder and gets into everything. Makes maint. on anything mechanical a bitch, and everything electronic fail.