• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Utilities Costs in Pensacola

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm looking for some housing advice for Pensacola. I'm planning on living with three other SNFOs and we've narrowed it down to two places. Both are four bedroom houses. The first is $1900 a month, but doesn't include any utilities, and we'd also have to get internet/cable hooked up. The second is $2700 a month, but includes all utilities, plus internet, cable, and long distance phone service. My question is: What's the average cost per month for utilities in Pensacola? We're trying to decide which would be the better deal.

Since I know a thread is useless without pictures here are the two houses.
http://www.pointesouth.com/listings/rentals.php?page=1&mls=343287&id=88
(the $1900 a month one)

http://www.militarybyowner.com/listings/tourplus.asp?F_BASE_ID=100&F_STATE=FL&LISTING_ID=55607
(the $2700 a month one, the owner's giving us a bit off the listed rent)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
What I was spending in P-Cola for utilities:

Electricity: 120
Cable/Internet/Phone: 145
Water/Sewer: 30-40.

But I lived in an apartment.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
^^What he said, except I cheesed out on cable and didn't need a phone so I just paid $45.

That first link is a nice one.

snake020

Contributor
Just curious, does anyone in Pensacola have natural gas water heaters? I've never seen electricity bills so ridiculous.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Just curious, does anyone in Pensacola have natural gas water heaters? I've never seen electricity bills so ridiculous.

Or for that matter gas stoves? Is it the hurricane risk or low water table or something like that that prevents them from putting in natural gas lines?

Cooking on electric ranges is no fun.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Low water table and risk of above ground line rupture. Hurricane and earthquake zones are reluctant to use gas.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I don't know what it is, but where I live in Milton, we have natural gas but it is only used for hot water. Utilities are $150 times three people including DirectTV HD and a phone line(in the winter/spring). I wish that we had an gas stove or heat, but is is electric/heat pump.

bb1125

None
Gas doesn't save me any money from what I see. I have a family of four and we usually pay $100-150 each on electricity and gas. The one that really gets me though is the trash bill. We live in a part of town that has separate water and sanitation companies and our saitation bill is around $50 and it's being raised again.

If I were here single, I would look for one of the many places that pay all utilities. They're very abundant here. For one, it saves you the monthly hassle of paying bills. Second, it makes budgeting for beer and women much easier.:D

snake020

Contributor
My combined gas & electric costs in the coldest part of the Alaska winter (for a 1450 sq/ft home) have been slightly lower than the electric bill of being in a smaller house in Pensacola. The only significant difference is electric water heater instead of gas.

And then I see these advertisements for greedy Alabama Power offering you a free electric water heater to convert from gas to electric so they can whisk your money away.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
So I live a 1/4 mile from the water on Gulf Beach Hwy and I have natural gas but its only for the water heater. I don't know why they don't have gas stoves or heaters down here but the utility costs are comparatively ridiculous. Except for the worst part of the summer, it seems like the total electric/nat gas bills are about the same all year with gas costs taking up the slack in electric during the winter.

BTW, they use natural gas extensively in California. Growing up I had never seen an electric stove, heater, water heater or clothes dryer until I moved to Oregon.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
http://www.militarybyowner.com/listings/tourplus.asp?F_BASE_ID=100&F_STATE=FL&LISTING_ID=55607

I think you should just buy that one. What's $1.2 million between friends?

On a serious note, that house is 37 miles from Whiting Field, not < 20 as it says on the website. And its a slow 37 miles at that. But I guess that doesn't matter for you if you are an NFO.

Just be careful when people advertise how close a house or apartment is to one of the bases. Always check the address on mapquest. They will totally lie about the distance/ time, then not let you break a lease to move because the new base is less than 50 miles away.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I'm looking for some housing advice for Pensacola. I'm planning on living with three other SNFOs and we've narrowed it down to two places. Both are four bedroom houses. The first is $1900 a month, but doesn't include any utilities, and we'd also have to get internet/cable hooked up. The second is $2700 a month, but includes all utilities, plus internet, cable, and long distance phone service. My question is: What's the average cost per month for utilities in Pensacola? We're trying to decide which would be the better deal.

Since I know a thread is useless without pictures here are the two houses.
http://www.pointesouth.com/listings/rentals.php?page=1&mls=343287&id=88
(the $1900 a month one)

Give a shout out to Air warriors when you're on MTV Cribs. Go with the first one.

propwife

Witty User Title Goes Here
I agree with pourts..

Distance is subjective (and sometimes a stretch of truth) in real estate advertising.
Team I most recently worked with, the head agent has used the 'you can commute 30 minutes from anywhere in the region'.. blah, blah' phrase since
1980-something. BS for most routes in the year 2008!!!..

Do the Mapquest, but also drive it Tuesday/Wednesday a.m./p.m., Friday p.m.
That will give you guys a better approximation of the commute.

House #1 looks fantastic..

#2 - I've managed listings w/comparable floorplans = Choppy!
Even with several guys, I'd go for a cleaning service, if you guys lease this one!