• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Oriskany CVA-34 back in P'Cola

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At least she's back for a little while...

I like how the transfer of ownership occurs...when she touches the sea floor.

"The decommissioned aircraft carrier USS Oriskany (CVA 34) is towed from the Intracoastal Waterway to Allegheny Pier on board Naval Air Station Pensacola. Known as the "Big O," the 32,000-ton, 888-foot Oriskany is being delivered to the air station while it is being prepared for its final journey. The ship is scheduled to be sanked 22 miles south of Pensacola in approximately 212 feet of water in the Gulf of Mexico May 17, 2006, where it will become the largest ship ever intentionally sunk as an artificial reef. After the Oriskany reaches the bottom, ownership of the vessel will transfer from the Navy to the State of Florida. U.S. Navy photo by Mr. Jeff Doty"
http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=33096 <- click there for a hi-res image
web_060322-N-2744D-059.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's a proper way for her to die. Being cut up into razor blades is shameful.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
beau said:
Bull!!!! Ever heard of a Sinkex??? Practice makes perfect!! :)
Somehow, I doubt they're going to sink her with random bombs, missiles and torpedos. Something more like a carefully orchestrated controlled demo. Video should be interesting to watch though.

Brett

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
How can it belong to the state of Florida if it's 22 miles off the coast? Territorial waters only extend to 12 miles.

Not to be a sea lawyer or anything...just curious.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Road brings up an interesting point...

The Oriskany should make for some good diving once it on the bottom...

As for the Sinkex... Brett's got it spot-on... for a reef, you want a controlled decent and explosion... not something random and violent, which is what a Sinkex is...

Man.. I'd love to be out on the water watchin that thing go down..

Lawman

None
Anybody know when the big Sinkex for the America is going to happen?

Been hearing rumblings about that for about a year now.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Cv-66

Lawman said:
Anybody know when the big Sinkex for the America is going to happen?

Been hearing rumblings about that for about a year now.
It already happened in May of last year.

Check navsource.org. It shows some of her final days at Philly and picture showing after she went under :(

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
212 feet is a little deep for diving- 130 is about as deep as recreational divers go. More than likely it'll become known as a great open-water fishing spot. OR the state of FL will find a way to raise her from the bottom and have their first aircraft carrier... I bet the CAF would love that...

"Sanked"??? I hope that wasn't a formal press release.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
sevenhelmet said:
212 feet is a little deep for diving- 130 is about as deep as recreational divers go. More than likely it'll become known as a great open-water fishing spot. OR the state of FL will find a way to raise her from the bottom and have their first aircraft carrier... I bet the CAF would love that...

You have to figure that the boat is well over 100 feet in height, depending, of course, on how she settles on the bottom. I'm sure all of this was factored in and the diving will be fantastic.

Brett

Turk

O-Boat

For all those Naval Aviator wannabes on borad, take some time to read the history of CVW-16 in O-Boat during her 65'-69' cruise to Vietnam. Pay close attention to the operations conducted by VA-164 and her sister squadron VA-163. It is truly remarkable what these men endured during their herioc actions during their on line period. Then ask youself if that was me would or could I have done the same.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Good point Brett. I got the idea it was too deep from a friend of mine who dives wrecks all the time. He told me he'd heard the primary reason they were doing it was for fishing and thought it would be too deep to dive and see very much. I honestly have no experience there, so I figured he knew what he was talking about. But what you say makes sense- she's a tall ship.

I'll be interested in seeing the vids of how she sinks. I've heard the whole op will take 6 hours- probably most of that time will be spent positioning the ship.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
sevenhelmet said:

It will be shallow enough that rec-divers will be able to enter on the flight deck and go through the tower. But it is also supposed to bring alot of more advanced divers. I was at McGuires the other night w/ one of the divers that is going to be laying guide cables through the ship once it is settled on the bottom. Really interesting to hear about.

Attachments

• O1.JPG
    O1.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 71
  • O2.JPG
    O2.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 66