• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS John L Hall Commanding Officer Relieved

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I was "Acting" for 2 weeks during my DH tour ....
Harrrrrumph.

Well, I led a 10 boat 'assault wave' full of Marines into the beach just south of Kavala, Greece when I was a Middie ... I thought I was KING-SHIT.

The Senior Chief (who was my shadow and put me on his lap & pulled the strings in my back to make my mouth say words and my hands wave) thought I did ... 'O.K.' ... :)

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Harrrrrumph.

Well, I led a 10 boat 'assault wave' full of Marines into the beach just south of Kavala, Greece when I was a Middie ... I thought I was KING-SHIT.

The Senior Chief (who was my shadow and put me on his lap & pulled the strings in my back to make my mouth say words and my hands wave) thought I did ... '
O.K.' ... :)

It was probably during the daytime, and he's a tough grader, no? :D

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
Hats off to SWO CO's. They can be canned for an incident that occurs during the 2 hours of sleep they managed after a long transit/RAS/????EX/48 hours awake. There literally isn't a minute in the day during their command when they can take a deep breath and take the skipper hat off. After seeing what kind of hotplate a good freakin' CO can be put on for things genuinely out of their control, I'll never armchair-quarterback a SWO CO.

Nope. As "I" (or rather my namesake) said:

"I realised with a sinking feeling that if the pilot, a middy, and the computer could all be wrong I could trust no one. Every time I went off watch, I risked the ship. Now I knew why Captain Haag virtually lived on his bridge. I wasn't smarter than the others, nor was I more alert. But Hibernia was my responsibility, and no one else's."

You can delegate authority but not responsibility.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was "Acting" for 2 weeks during my DH tour (XO was TAD with a Det and CO went on emergency leave). We flew a full flight schedule.

Ops was pissed. He thought he should be "Acting" due to his position and the fact he had 6 months lomger in the squadron than I did. I was senior by 3 months.

I too was "Acting" for a couple of weeks for the very same reasons... even though I was a furloughed airline pilot and a reservist on extended active duty, with an advanced jet training squadron in Texas. (I'm sure the regulars were pissed, naturally. I might have been too.) Things went smoothly, and uninterrupted. Ops never missed a beat. I even held a Captain's Mast.

When the CO/XO finally returned, the skipper corrected the only mistake I made.... it involved the Mast. He thought I was too strict.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
When the CO/XO finally returned, the skipper corrected the only mistake I made.... it involved the Mast. He thought I was too strict.
My CO's only comment was "you should have signed the Chief evals.....that way they would all be pissed at you and not me......"

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not too familiar with it as all the XO/CO's I served with were on the old program, but I'm told that's how they do it now.
Yes, but I'd be curious to find out if they do their Commander command qual as DH's now or if they're still doing them during their XO ride. I'll have to ask my old DH who's in his post XO shore tour.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Hats off to SWO CO's. They can be canned for an incident that occurs during the 2 hours of sleep they managed after a long transit/RAS/????EX/48 hours awake. There literally isn't a minute in the day during their command when they can take a deep breath and take the skipper hat off. After seeing what kind of hotplate a good freakin' CO can be put on for things genuinely out of their control, I'll never armchair-quarterback a SWO CO.

I bet none of them take it to heart as much as other communities that get canned for this reason.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Eh. When you're the HMFWIC, everything your boat does is your responsibility, even if it's not your fault. Goes with the shiny shirt star and all the whistles and bells.

Only problem with that is it breeds captains who just want to get through their CO tour as fast as possble and not screw up their chances for Flag.