• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Guardian (MCM-5) aground on reef in Sulu Sea

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
This has been posted on Yahoo News and other services. It's possible the ship has already re-floated on the next high tide. No injuries or apparent damage to ship - just a bad day at sea for the captain.
Being a techno-retard, I am unable to cut 'n paste the article, but it's on a number of news sites.

exNavyOffRec

At least they didn't do damage to the ship like the USS Lamoure County did back in 2000, I read the initial damage reports on her and wow.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

BigRed389

None

That ship is probably finished.

And saying that being provided with an inaccurate chart "may have been a factor" is an early candidate for understatement of the year.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
If the charts were fubared, then the CO just missed a .50 cal. an inch from his forehead. Just sayin' . . .

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The San Francisco hit a sea mount that was not properly charted but the CO got relieved anyways.

CAMike

None
Contributor
The San Francisco hit a sea mount that was not properly charted but the CO got relieved anyways.

Correct. A ship is "supposed" to utilize multiple forms of navigation at all times for just such an occurrence. Occurrences happen!

From what I've read, the QM was only using the digital chart...by itself. The paper charts onboard were accurate for this region. If the keel is damaged I think the ship and the CO are probably both finished.