• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS George H.W. Bush Commissioned

UGA

BDCP SNA
Pretty Cool. I liked hearing Bush Sr. speak. The double nuts on deck looked good too. Anyone know what the warbird was that did the flyover?

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Pretty Cool. I liked hearing Bush Sr. speak. The double nuts on deck looked good too. Anyone know what the warbird was that did the flyover?

As Hozer said, it was an Avenger, the same plane that Pres Bush Sr. flew in WWII. Apparently, according to talking heads, it was a surprise for him as he didn't know that there was going to be one fly over. Wonder who that TFR-penetrating lucky bastard was.

Or for those without MSNBC, it's being streamed online here. You don't see this kind of thing too often, very cool to watch.

I tried the link but it says I have to install missing plugins, which I did. But I still get the same message to install missing plugins.... anyone know what to do?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
^ So who's buried in Grant's Tomb?

Click the link to install the missing plug-ins......

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As Hozer said, it was an Avenger, the same plane that Pres Bush Sr. flew in WWII. Apparently, according to talking heads, it was a surprise for him as he didn't know that there was going to be one fly over. Wonder who that TFR-penetrating lucky bastard was.

We have a local outfit with a perfectly restored Avenger and a lot of other nice toys. Definitely a nice touch. The USS San Jacinto veterans that served with Bush were there in force with their cowboy hats and it was a special treat for them as well.

Fighter Factory TBM Avenger conducting flyover of USS H.W. Bush commissioning ceremony today

Avenger-1.jpg

HJ Photo

I have had the opportunity to attend other events like this in the past and always took a pass because of weather or unwillingness to endure the crowds and lines. But I decided to go to this one and am really glad I did, They did everything right. It was extremely well done and full of touching and poignant moments. I might have some pictures to post when I get time to download and set them up for posting.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Glad the usual Norfolk weather cut you guys a pass today HJ. Looking forward to the photos...
Hoze

Annalisa

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
My husband and I just got back from the commissioning. It definitely ranks amongst the cooler things I've ever seen. I just wish my camera hadn't given up the ghost a few weeks ago! (Oh, the agony of missed photo opportunities.) We really couldn't have asked for better weather on a January day. The Avenger flyover was awesome, the speeches weren't too overwrought, and seeing the ship "come to life" was exciting.

The other highlight of my day was getting to ride the elevator up to the shiny new flight deck. All suspicions on the part of my family and friends that I am a hopeless dork will be confirmed when they hear that I was thrilled to ride an elevator, even if it's not quite your everyday people mover. :p