• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Fitzgerald collision in C7F

GroundPounder

In your professional opinions, did the extent of the damage done to the ship surprise you, or seem to be what you would have expected. I assume that ships of the line are designed to suffer some amount of blunt force trauma, but not to be nailed by such a large ship.

I have a feeling that had the angle of impact been different that it could have been much worse than it was.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
In your professional opinions, did the extent of the damage done to the ship surprise you, or seem to be what you would have expected. I assume that ships of the line are designed to suffer some amount of blunt force trauma, but not to be nailed by such a large ship.

I have a feeling that had the angle of impact been different that it could have been much worse than it was.

I would say surprising so far. I don't think most shipboard accidents someone says "hey that ain't so bad". They're always shocking. Also, be aware the worst damage for FITZGERALD is below the waterline that we cannot see at the moment, so once the ship is placed in dry dock we can see how "truly" awful this incident was.

GroundPounder

I would say surprising so far. I don't think most shipboard accidents someone says "hey that ain't so bad". They're always shocking. Also, be aware the worst damage for FITZGERALD is below the waterline that we cannot see at the moment, so once the ship is placed in dry dock we can see how "truly" awful this incident was.

Hopefully my question did not appear to diminish what happened, I just wanted to make sure that comes through. I know that at this point, no one involved would say that " that ain't so bad. "

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hopefully my question did not appear to diminish what happened, I just wanted to make sure that comes through. I know that at this point, no one involved would say that " that ain't so bad. "

I understood what you were asking and for the case of FITZ definitely surprised with what I expected vs. what actually took place.

exNavyOffRec

I am surprised the collision took out what it did, I am guessing it was hit in just the spot to knock out all the equipment it did, I would like to believe if zebra was set that the ship wouldn't have been as wounded as she was.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I am surprised the collision took out what it did, I am guessing it was hit in just the spot to knock out all the equipment it did, I would like to believe if zebra was set that the ship wouldn't have been as wounded as she was.
Why would ZEBRA have been set?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I thought Zebra is always set underway? At least below the waterline...
My OOD knowledges are getting old. I thought it was Yoke for peacetime steaming but I didn't do a lot below the water line. I defer to your more recent and in the case of @NavyOffRec below the water line experience.